[wipz] Ghogiel's Star Wars

Ghogiel

Looks spectacular! It's times like these that I want to spin back the wheel-of-time to when I could spend an entire weekend modding. This is one of my favorite movies...and one of my sons favorite series as well (via the movies and Clone Wars cartoon...he is so excited to see the new episodes that come out each week)

LHammonds

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting there now with the highpoly.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/wipz/e11wip2.jpg

oddly hidden objects rendered in that image. for example that big ugly screw head at the front of the folding stock is not supposed to be in the imag. and the end of the barrel has something in there that is incorrect.. hmm

nyway the only thing not really built properly is the bit where the magazine is inserted. then it's a lot of faffing about aligning stuff. then the HP is complete and i can get the game mesh built, UV it, and start the baking... still a lot left to do.

yeah but the low poly is stripped to just over 8k tris... I mean I could drop another 500-1k tris without much fuss. and no one but me would really see it..it' would be missing several mesh details, and a few things would be a bit less round. I could drop 200tris really easy and no one would really know, but I want to keep those chamfers :P, saves having to split the UVs there and what not.

I'm very tempted to leave it near the 8k tris mark and call it a day. It'll just look better that way. I know I am being quite excessive, I am just a sucker for mesh details. :woot:

Bevels and UV splits have the same vertex count, so the actual gain from stripping them down isn't that huge.

Making a lowpoly kind of sucks in that regard though, always so tempting to keep the little things. I feel ya :) Just finished up a lowpoly last night actually, ended up killing off a lot of inner detail, and still around 16k. It's a full character outfit, so I'll stick with that.

P.S. Just noticed a bit of pinching on the folding stock punched-out area underneath the barrel.

P.S. Just noticed a bit of pinching on the folding stock punched-out area underneath the barrel.

It looks worse than it is. that bit actually starts to bend inwards starting at the punched out area. its mostly because the supporting egdes that hold that cut are the same that support the angle, and are quite tight. but yeah it annoys me a bit at a couple angles, and I was thinking of sorting it out. heh, i should have left it planar for the normal map bake, then bent it a bit for the AO and final lowpoly model :P

show me some nice pics of your mesh when you get some bakes done :yes:

Would it be possible to save some of the details by removing them and having them in the normal map and texture later?

yes and no. everything is getting baked from the high poly. so I am not removing detail absolutely. but normal maps cannot always replace geo imo.