Guest deleted2159825

Guest deleted2159825

I am alive. The mod is almost complete. I am releasing it on October 10th.

It may not be completely voiced (95%), but by Jesus-Zimmer it's coming out. I have procrastinated enough for several lifetimes, but to delay any further would be a disservice to the team members who invested so much time and energy into development. After FO4 ships, I don't expect a large audience for FO:NV quest mods. More on that later.

I've glanced over this thread enough to appreciate that it almost went full thunderdome in my absence. I apologize to everyone for not communicating. However, as some of the forum veterans observed, disappearing and then suddenly appearing months later is sort of my M.O. True to form, I'll attempt to address some of your concerns in FAQ format.

Q: Why were you gone for so long?

A: Back in the spring I hit the wall again when I re-invested myself in voice acting. There was drama and frustration galore, so I up and decided to walk away for a spell. I honestly had no idea I would be inclined to stay away from it for this long. Nothing - and I mean nothing - saps my creative drive like grinding through the tedium of voicework. It's not even the acting itself, but rather the management of it all. The ironic thing is that the actors with the largest voice parts were the most efficient and professional of the lot, by far. I am grateful to have them in my corner for future projects. In the end, though, it was my responsibility, so please don't arbitrarily lash out at voice actors. This is a large project, and the buck stops with me.

In the time away from modding, I pursued powerlifting again and discovered the sweaty, agonizing joy of BJJ. I honestly don't know how Dragbody manages his dedication to such time-intensive hobbies. I played the hell out of The Witcher 3, and suffice to say it has inspired me to improve my writing and quest design.

Q: What brought you back?

A: The run-up to FO4 was a factor. I had wallowed in self-pity for so long that I even toyed with the idea of giving up modding entirely. It's the weight of perfectionism, something that I'm sure other modders can appreciate. I told myself, "If the mod isn't perfect, then I'm not releasing it." This line of thought also necessitated the release of this "perfect" NVBIII by FO4, or else I would stop modding. Do or die. This is not exactly a healthy approach to a creative endeavor, at least not for me.

In September I began to stalk the forums again (by the way, checking my profile for activity is useless - many times I was just downloading mods for TW3 or XCOM), and that was a... revelation. I half expected pitchforks and lynch mobs, but seeing the genuine support of so many users was extremely encouraging. I remember one comment suggested that I perused this thread and laughed at the collective anguish of fans. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I had already begun re-organizing some of the voicework a few weeks ago, in addition to finalizing the LOD. I had to cut a few NPC's, one sidequest, and (thankfully) one romance, but it is now 99% voiced. The final, unvoiced role is incidental, anyway - that person's presence will depend on player choices from NVBII and The Inheritance, so he/she may not even show up for many players. What really snapped me back into modding mode was an obscure video that I came across by accident. This guy gets such a kick out of what I consider my silliest mod, and it made me realize that it was time to stow my self-pity and perfectionism. These mods are about more than my OCD bulls***. Many people enjoy them. Some people hate them. f*** it, though. The story must be told. It took a Bad Mothaf*#@a to set me straight.

Q: What are your thoughts on FO4?

A: It looks true to the Bethesda model, with substantial improvements in customization and gameplay (potentially). As for the plot? I have no idea. Bethesda runs a tight ship when it comes to keeping content in the dark. I'm excited about exploring the world, even if there's a real possibility it will be populated by cardboard characters. I just want to kill people in that power armor while jamming out to "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath.

Q: What about the voiced protagonist?

A: It's an obstacle, to be sure. I was half-expecting it, but it was still a kick in the gut when I first viewed the trailer. You can forget about some of the fun dialogue options that will be on display in NVBIII and other quest mods (I am the lord of low intelligence). However, consider how many options the player had in, say, NVBI or New Vegas Killer - it was largely limited to "Yes", "No", and "What's your story?". I'm fairly certain we'll be able to glean such lines from the vanilla recordings. So long as there is basic functionality in regards to dialogue and scripting, then quest mods are feasible, if limited in scope.

Q: What about Skyrim?

A: f*** the CK. f***, f***, f*** the CK. I actually began working on Wrath of the Nord in April and made some decent progress until the dialogue stopped working. It wasn't the old .SEQ bug, but just the CK deciding, "f*** you, this mod is not worthy." I was apoplectic - I'm talking review of Slave town mad. It's a damn shame because the player would have gotten to blood eagle some Thalmor at the end of it. Oh, well.

Q: Will you make any FO:NV mods after NVBIII?

A: It's going to be a tight window between October 10th and the release of FO4, but... maybe. If I release anything, it will be small and utterly random. I would like to have something that's a tad more optimistic than NVBIII, though. That's been the only thing troubling me - this is one hell of a dark send-off.

Q: I am one of the fabled alpha testers who safeguarded your secrets and protected the virtue of this mod against naysayers. Do you need further testing?

A: No, but I want to thank everyone who has expressed support and encouragement in this forum, in spite of my inexplicable absence. I'm only human, and I'm sorry. One lesson I've learned from this is that I will never set myself up for such a colossal project again. I can honestly say that I was never happier as a modder then when I was cranking out small project like NVK, KOTR, and yes, Bad Mothaf*#@a. My goal is to keep casts limited to 4-5 roles. Finding voice actors isn't terribly difficult, but as the scale expands, the chance of human error and "Don't give a f***-itis" increases exponentially. People go MIA, project gets delayed, frustration and burnout ensues. It's a vicious cycle. Therefore, I will keep things small. Really!

Again, thank you all for your support. If you have questions, post away.

Edited by someguy2000

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am alive. The mod is almost complete. I am releasing it on October 10th.

It may not be completely voiced (95%), but by Jesus-Zimmer it's coming out. I have procrastinated enough for several lifetimes, but to delay any further would be a disservice to the team members who invested so much time and energy into development. After FO4 ships, I don't expect a large audience for FO:NV quest mods. More on that later.

I've glanced over this thread enough to appreciate that it almost went full thunderdome in my absence. I apologize to everyone for not communicating. However, as some of the forum veterans observed, disappearing and then suddenly appearing months later is sort of my M.O. True to form, I'll attempt to address some of your concerns in FAQ format.

Q: Why were you gone for so long?

A: Back in the spring I hit the wall again when I re-invested myself in voice acting. There was drama and frustration galore, so I up and decided to walk away for a spell. I honestly had no idea I would be inclined to stay away from it for this long. Nothing - and I mean nothing - saps my creative drive like grinding through the tedium of voicework. It's not even the acting itself, but rather the management of it all. The ironic thing is that the actors with the largest voice parts were the most efficient and professional of the lot, by far. I am grateful to have them in my corner for future projects. In the end, though, it was my responsibility, so please don't arbitrarily lash out at voice actors. This is a large project, and the buck stops with me.

In the time away from modding, I pursued powerlifting again and discovered the sweaty, agonizing joy of BJJ. I honestly don't know how Dragbody manages his dedication to such time-intensive hobbies. I played the hell out of The Witcher 3, and suffice to say it has inspired me to improve my writing and quest design.

Q: What brought you back?

A: The run-up to FO4 was a factor. I had wallowed in self-pity for so long that I even toyed with the idea of giving up modding entirely. It's the weight of perfectionism, something that I'm sure other modders can appreciate. I told myself, "If the mod isn't perfect, then I'm not releasing it." This line of thought also necessitated the release of this "perfect" NVBIII by FO4, or else I would stop modding. Do or die. This is not exactly a healthy approach to a creative endeavor, at least not for me.

In September I began to stalk the forums again (by the way, checking my profile for activity is useless - many times I was just downloading mods for TW3 or XCOM), and that was a... revelation. I half expected pitchforks and lynch mobs, but seeing the genuine support of so many users was extremely encouraging. I remember one comment suggested that I perused this thread and laughed at the collective anguish of fans. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I had already begun re-organizing some of the voicework a few weeks ago, in addition to finalizing the LOD. I had to cut a few NPC's, one sidequest, and (thankfully) one romance, but it is now 99% voiced. The final, unvoiced role is incidental, anyway - that person's presence will depend on player choices from NVBII and The Inheritance, so he/she may not even show up for many players. What really snapped me back into modding mode was an obscure video that I came across by accident. This guy gets such a kick out of what I consider my silliest mod, and it made me realize that it was time to stow my self-pity and perfectionism. These mods are about more than my OCD bulls***. Many people enjoy them. Some people hate them. f*** it, though. The story must be told. It took a Bad Mothaf*#@a to set me straight.

Q: What are your thoughts on FO4?

A: It looks true to the Bethesda model, with substantial improvements in customization and gameplay (potentially). As for the plot? I have no idea. Bethesda runs a tight ship when it comes to keeping content in the dark. I'm excited about exploring the world, even if there's a real possibility it will be populated by cardboard characters. I just want to kill people in that power armor while jamming out to "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath.

Q: What about the voiced protagonist?

A: It's an obstacle, to be sure. I was half-expecting it, but it was still a kick in the gut when I first viewed the trailer. You can forget about some of the fun dialogue options that will be on display in NVBIII and other quest mods (I am the lord of low intelligence). However, consider how many options the player had in, say, NVBI or New Vegas Killer - it was largely limited to "Yes", "No", and "What's your story?". I'm fairly certain we'll be able to glean such lines from the vanilla recordings. So long as there is basic functionality in regards to dialogue and scripting, then quest mods are feasible, if limited in scope.

Q: What about Skyrim?

A: f*** the CK. f***, f***, f*** the CK. I actually began working on Wrath of the Nord in April and made some decent progress until the dialogue stopped working. It wasn't the old .SEQ bug, but just the CK deciding, "f*** you, this mod is not worthy." I was apoplectic - I'm talking review of Slave town mad. It's a damn shame because the player would have gotten to blood eagle some Thalmor at the end of it. Oh, well.

Q: Will you make any FO:NV mods after NVBIII?

A: It's going to be a tight window between October 10th and the release of FO4, but... maybe. If I release anything, it will be small and utterly random. I would like to have something that's a tad more optimistic than NVBIII, though. That's been the only thing troubling me - this is one hell of a dark send-off.

Q: I am one of the fabled alpha testers who safeguarded your secrets and protected the virtue of this mod against naysayers. Do you need further testing?

A: No, but I want to thank everyone who has expressed support and encouragement in this forum, in spite of my inexplicable absence. I'm only human, and I'm sorry. One lesson I've learned from this is that I will never set myself up for such a colossal project again. I can honestly say that I was never happier as a modder then when I was cranking out small project like NVK, KOTR, and yes, Bad Mothaf*#@a. My goal is to keep casts limited to 4-5 roles. Finding voice actors isn't terribly difficult, but as the scale expands, the chance of human error and "Don't give a f***-itis" increases exponentially. People go MIA, project gets delayed, frustration and burnout ensues. It's a vicious cycle. Therefore, I will keep things small. Really!

Again, thank you all for your support. If you have questions, post away.

I'm the happiest muffin in the world right now. 4 days before my birthday too. Best present ever someguy! Great to see you back.

WOOOOHOOOO! This actually works out nicely, I am just doing NVB2 at the moment. I wonder whether I'll be able to finish it, as well as Lonesome Road until Saturday. Wish me luck!

A question though, will the SomeguySeries be updated? (Maybe a beta tester might be able to answer this question.) If so, what's the proper way to update it?

Guest deleted2159825

WOOOOHOOOO! This actually works out nicely, I am just doing NVB2 at the moment. I wonder whether I'll be able to finish it, as well as Lonesome Road until Saturday. Wish me luck!

A question though, will the SomeguySeries be updated? (Maybe a beta tester might be able to answer this question.) If so, what's the proper way to update it?

The Someguy Series was updated for NVBIII a while back. It just added some variables and linked up Sweet Revenge to the .esm, because... well, you'll see. :)

Guest deleted2159825

Wow, this is amazing. It's good to have you back Someguy. I'm glad you managed to work through all that OCD stuff. Even better that we'll be getting NVB III and so soon as well.

Do you think you'll be revisiting youtube? Your vids were pretty hilarious.

Thanks!

As for Youtube... maybe, but it will have to wait until my euphoric 1st playthrough of FO4.