Guest deleted2159825

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted2159825

I should probably make a separate thread for The Better Angels, but screw it. I think people were checking this thread out of hope, desperation, rage, and morbid curiosity. At least now I can present some real production amidst the drama.

So, with the Someguy series coming to its glorious end, think you could make some top 10 list of your favourite westerns, or other movies that have inspired your writing?

I would be interested in that also. I know he has mentioned The Great Silence before. I have been trying to find that available online on something like NetFlicks but no luck so far.

Guest deleted2159825

Not to quibble, but there is a difference between what I consider the greatest Westerns and the Westerns that most inspired these mods. The Great Silence, for example, is a fascinating anti-Western with strong socio-economic allegory. However, it is not quite in the same class as Unforgiven or A Fistful of Dollars.

Top ten Westerns... let me give this a shot (I'll leave something out, inevitably):

1. Unforgiven

2. Shane

3. Lonesome Dove

4. The Dollars Trilogy (personal favorite: A Fistful of Dollars)

5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

6. The Searchers

7. The Outlaw Josey Wales

8. McCabe and Mrs. Miller

9. High Noon

10. Once Upon a Time in the West

Obviously, the ones that most inspired this mod were the works of Sergio Leone and Sergio Corbucci.

The Siege of Firebase Zulu was inspired first and foremost by a novel: Matterhorn. Everything else was gleaned from a variety of war-related fiction and nonfiction that spanned centuries and various mediums. There are too many to list, really. Matterhorn was the primary source, though.

Sinners and Slaves was founded on the likes of Spartacus (1960 version!), Glory, The Dirty Dozen, and Inglorious Basterds, but first and foremost Spartacus. There was also considerable inspiration taken from the actual history of the Third Servile War, as well as other historic slave revolts. For example, one of the main characters was directly inspired by Nat Turner.

The Man from Old Mexico was supposed to be set in an ENORMOUS desert worldspace that would spur comparisons to Lawrence of Arabia.

The Message was loosely based on Shane and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. It would be more subtle and subdued in presentation, with less "Spaghetti", so to speak.

There are others, of course - I've got design docs and outlines for about 10-12 mods sitting in a folder among all my other modding crap. Some are standard, while others are absolutely insane. It's probably for the best that I never made Groom Lake, for example. That thing was sheer madness.

Edited by someguy2000

I like to think that in some alternate universe, there is a someguy2000 who actually made all of those theorized mods. He is currently humming gently to himself in a padded cell in British Columbia.

On another note, I was just wondering. What made you sour on Russell such that you cut him from NVBIII? I mean, yeah, he can be kind of a moody prick and he never laughs at my jokes, but overall I thought he was pretty cool. Especially the Blood Meridian-inspired storyline.

Guest deleted2159825

On another note, I was just wondering. What made you sour on Russell such that you cut him from NVBIII? I mean, yeah, he can be kind of a moody prick and he never laughs at my jokes, but overall I thought he was pretty cool. Especially the Blood Meridian-inspired storyline.

In a nutshell, he's just a hair too self-serious for my taste. It's just a personal preference.