We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Best "New Game Only" mods.... looking for suggestions

Bizzquik

Hi all.

My 100-hour save file is gone. (Not sync'd with Steam, hard drive died.) Rather than bemoan my loss, I think I'll just create a new character instead.

That made me realize this would be the perfect time to try mods that are so fundamentally different from Vanilla Skyrim that the mod author says only to use them when starting a new game.

Mods I'm currently thinking about that REQUIRE a brand new game before using:

* Civil War Overhaul - The Vanilla Civil War quests are boring. This sounds like a fun way to change that.

* Open Cities - A new game may not be required, but with so many in-town add-ons in my last play-through, Open Cities was not really an option. Now I can use Open Cities as my foundation, and add other mods only when their compatibility is confirmed.

I would love to hear your suggestions as I explore my options for my next play-through!

I would first suggest downloading all of the unofficial patches and using them :)

As for specific mods, the best 'new game' specific mod I can think of is Live Another Life, although you may or may not be interested in it. - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9557/?

Could you let us know more of what you are looking for? After all, there is a huge variety to choose from!

cloaks of skyrim + winter is coming cloaks

SkyRe - because it's a mod i never play with out. (make sure you get reproccer and ASIS)

Vilja and Cerwiden - two awesome followers who both add depth and originality to the game.

immersive armours + immersive weapons

Climates of Tamriel

Interesting NPCS

Inconsequential NPCS

^^ not sure if al of them require a new game, but those are ones i would highly recommend for a new game.

imaginator

dynavision

Character creation overhaul.

Sniper bow packs (i just love them)

Deadly dragons

Monster Wars.

I would first suggest downloading all of the unofficial patches and using them :smile:

As for specific mods, the best 'new game' specific mod I can think of is Live Another Life, although you may or may not be interested in it. - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9557/?

Could you let us know more of what you are looking for? After all, there is a huge variety to choose from!

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, I have the Unofficial Patches installed, lots of texture packs installed, lots of immersion mods - Frostfall, Wet n' Cold, Hunterborn, Dynamic Things - lots of NPC mods installed - Interesting NPCs, Inconsequential NPCs, various follower mods - new lands installed - Falskaar, Wyrmstooth, some economic overhaul mods - Trade & Barter, Trade Routes.

I have a lot of fun mods that really add immersion aspects.

But I know there are some mods that are so different, you really can't just add them to an existing play-through. Those are the mods I would like to hear about, in particular. If I plan on using those special "New Game Required" mods from the start, I can build my mod base out from there. (That's why I mentioned Civil War Overhaul; it adds & changes so much that you can only use it with a new game, apparently.)

If you're going to use the Civil War Overhaul, I personally recommend keeping your load order as light as possible. It's evidently rather delicate.

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

Hmmm......maybe I should read up on it before pulling the trigger. :smile:

Apollo is actually pretty good about keeping things up to date. The mod works just fine, it's just such a massive overhaul of a rather difficult aspect of the game that the engine never handled well in the first place. Much of the instability or problems that arise from CWO aren't really avoidable, sadly.

Whatever you do, get SkyRe. It's just a WONDERFUL mod. After using it, I can never go back to vanilla. It just adds up to everything around and in skyrim.

If you want a fastpaced combat system, get duel combat realism and dont install skyre combat and enemy AI modules. rest works just fine with duel.

Duel doesn't need a new game or anything, but just letting you know. Get the reproccer to fix the stats.

Check out this link to get a basic idea of how SkyRe works =

Edit: I'd suggest you use combat and AI modules first just so you can get used to them.

If you don't like it, you could switch to Duel - Combat Realism. It's pretty good and fast paced

Edit 2 : http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48629/? <---------- Get the Unofficial Skyrim Redone Patch from the optional section from files. It is recommended.

Skyrim Redone overhauls EVERYTHING. so make sure you have mods which use compatibility patches to support SkyRe, it'll take a buttload of time but it is totally worth it. All of the most used mod's patches can be obtained from the link above. but you know, do your research as well.

usually you'll get the patches for skyre from the mod's page itself. Keep looking. and also before you install a mod. go through the desc. page FULLY. do not overlook a word. Yes. Trust me.

Good luck :)

Edited by Marth77

Those are good words on SkyRe. I actually used that mod during my second playthrough. And you're absolutely right - I would not play Skyrim again with it!

I've been looking at Organized Bandits in Skyrim. That sounds like it would add another layer of depth and immersion to the game. That mod, combined with Immersive Patrols and Skyrim Immersive Creatures - to say nothing of texture packs and ENB - could be a bit much for my system; a lot going on. But I kinda want to try it all together anyway.

Interesting to read the mod author of Immersive Patrols state that using it in conjunction with Open Cities can lead to slaughter in the streets of major cities....that sounds like it could kill my game (so many dead, important NPCs).....but my interest is piqued! Anyone have experience mashing those mods together in a playthrough?