Thoughts on mods requiring users to own DLC?

Undivide

I'm kind of in a fizzle with the directions my mods are going.

On one hand, I want my mods to be accessible to everyone. On the other, I'd like to make use of the wonderful Dragonborn and Dawnguard assets available.

My question for modders and normal users alike is, how do you feel about mods that require DLC?

Are you willing to sacrifice accessibility for "better" content? I don't like to alienate users, but

I think we're at a point in time where sales and discounts are frequent enough for most people to get their hands on DLC.

Edited by Undivide

I suppose it depends on what your mod is or does.

If you are creating new content, quests, dungeons, etc. it seems to me that if DLC content makes the experience richer, you should go right ahead and do that. I agree that all of the DLC has become very affordable and that the majority of those looking for new experiences will have already exhausted the official sources.

Falksaar and Wyrmstooth are good examples of whole new lands. In both cases they decided not to use DLC content. While both are really great, I can't help but think about how much better they would be with Dragonborn and Dawnguard resources.

If you are creating simple new items, spells, weapons, utilities, NPCs and the like it seems to me there is a better case to have as few master dependencies as possible. Not only does this make them available to a wider audience, it can also reduce problems for users. If someone has a bad load order or doesn't have Hearthfire installed and your mod has a reference to it, that's most often going to result in a CTD crash. Not a happy experience. It usually isn't too tough to create patches that enable your mod to work with DLC content or other mods.

It is important to remember that one cannot assume your users will have strong technical skills, speak your language, or have much maturity.

So that's my 2 cents. Summary points:

• If you are focused on content without significant scripting I think limiting yourself to just base game content will result in a less-satisfying experience for you and your users.
  • If you do heavy scripting with minimal content, reduced DLC dependency is probably a better choice.

I think you should go with DLC, since eventually most/every Skyrim user will have it and it will save you the time in re-releasing you mods at that time. if people cant afford the DLC's, then they can assist the elderly in crossing the street for a few extra Dollars... when there is a will there is a way. And I think you will be better off having your mods require the Skyrim DLC. Besides, a devout supporter of TES such as myself, is never Satisfied untill they have purchased all the content foe each ES release.

I think crippling your idea just in case a few people might not be able to play it is not a good idea. Trying to please everybody only leads to mediocrity. Not only you'll never even please everybody but you won't be happy with your result because this isn't what you wanted.

Ask yourself what do YOU want and make that.

Edited by Caithe

Personally, if you are making a utility mod that just adds miner things it's not all that hard to make it using DLC content, then use TES5 edit to remove all DLC dependent items and have a vanilla version in a few minuts. If you're making a mod like Falksaar or Wyrmstooth, you're better off just using what you need to and have it be dependent on what it needs to be.

PS. TES5 edit is awesome and all moders/mod users should have it and use it.

Are you willing to sacrifice accessibility for "better" content?

Quality over quantity.

The majority got all DLCs. Cater to the majority. Especially when that also means more quality.

To me, it depends upon the nature of the mod.

As an example of something I'm thinking about doing if I can figure out how:

My mod idea introduces a companion NPC named Naryena Indoril. She's a mighty warrior, a former Buoyant Armiger. During the explosion of Red Mountain, she vanished from sight after saving a few fellow Armigers from the resulting mess at Ghostgate. Now, however, rumours have surfaced about a battle-scarred Dunmeri woman on the eastern border of Skyrim, wearing armour from Morrowind.

I made her as a character in my own game to get a feel for how she should look. Her entire appearance revolves around her armour, which requires Dragonborn. The completed design relies heavily on a ton of other people's mods too, but what defines her, what makes her, is her armour. It HAS to be an armour from Morrowind, and since I'm no 3D designer, it ABSOLUTELY beyond a doubt relies on Dragonborn.

(btw, if anyone wants to help me create her, please PM me! I have a lot of questions...)

If you want to use DLC assets, then use them. You're the mod author. It's your creative vision, not ours. Don't bend over backwards to cater to the kind of overgrown children who are going to whine and complain about dependencies. The DLCs are not new anymore, and they've been on sale for pennies on the dollar multiple times since their release. If I of all people could afford them at full price on my income, then very few people can claim to be unable to afford them on sale. And if they can they probably shouldn't be spending so much time playing Skyrim anyway.

There are even more assets available for free on the Nexus than in both DLC's combined.

What assets would you like to use from the DLC's and I can find an equivalent right here on the Nexus. It's out there, just look.

It's mostly DLC scripts, effects and shaders and a few models at this point.

Edited by Undivide