How To Take Screenshots

Stampede

If you are going to use the free version of FRAPS, I suggest you get the package from TESNexus which has other programs bundled with it to help automate the conversion of the HUGE BMP images to PNG or JPG format.

LHammonds

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@LHammonds, thank you for creating that handy set of script/tools to go with Fraps to be used for this beautiful game!

Till, now I have only been taking screenshots (PRINTSCREEN works on PC with OBSE) and was thinking of Fraps or some other tool to take videos.

Besides Fraps, does anyone have any recommendations for good (and free) game video recorders (DirectX or OpenGL). Is Fraps the best for Oblivion videos, or are there some other better alternatives? I can try trial versions of commercial apps if they result in better quality videos with no forced watermarks. I recently bought a new machine with good graphics card and want to try some HQ Oblivion videos.

For taking screenshots, I use the excellent Flying Camera Mod as it helps to hide the HUD and console easily with single keypress. For reducing the eye-strain due to the jerkiness of the default camera, I use the Chase Camera mod. I found the Bullet Time mod (simpler variant of the Bullet Camera mod) is very sweet for slow-motion capture when you are dealing the "death blow" to a creature or NPC. There are a few other camera mods like Growlf's mod and some 3rd-person-view puppet/trailer mods, but I haven't used them yet.

Edited by vvk78

@LHammonds, thank you for creating that handy set of script/tools to go with Fraps to be used for this beautiful game!

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

Besides Fraps, does anyone have any recommendations for good (and free) game video recorders (DirectX or OpenGL). Is Fraps the best for Oblivion videos, or are there some other better alternatives? I can try trial versions of commercial apps if they result in better quality videos with no forced watermarks. I recently bought a new machine with good graphics card and want to try some HQ Oblivion videos.

This has been asked before. I cannot remember the thread which had various people listing off all the possible options but the general consensus was that Fraps was the best solution. We do have a Video sub-forum

There is a free / open source recorder called Taksi but it does not record audio.

I believe xfire has an option to record video but I think there is a framerate issue. I have not personally tried it out.

Keep in mind that not all video recording software will work for DirectX games. Also know that ones designed for OpenGL may not work for DirectX since they employ different technology. Software such as CamStudio are made to record "Windows" applications and the desktop...not DirectX games...although you might be able to get around it by running games in Window'ed mode....maybe.

There is another recorder I just found called Game Cam that is shareware just like Fraps. I don't know anything about it but I'll be creating a thread for it in our video section shortly.

Here are related threads that I found:

Video format research

Choice of video editors

Thanks dear sir, for taking the efforts to reply and search for those links.

I didn't notice the video sub-forum earlier - my bad, should have realized it would be there and searched for such a thread/forum before posting here.

I will be using Fraps for now (it is #1 hit in Google for "game video record" :-), and try few of the other video recorders listed here:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/video-capture-software/?tag=mncol%3Bsort&rpp=30&sort=downloadCount+asc

Since we are talking screenshots here on this thread, is there any way to get a direct link to my TESNexus Uploaded-Images Gallery? Rather than sending individual links to my uploaded screenshots, I would like to send the gallery link to my friends if I have something interesting captured recently. I did search for some info about the direct link on the forums, but I didn't find anything obvious that discusses it.

As of now, the standard way I see, is to just send them my profile link, tell them to scroll down and click on the Images tab:

http://www.tesnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=1485877

The easier way is the following link, which actually works, but it screws up the CSS, so I am hoping a better direct member-gallery link is possible:

http://www.tesnexus.com/modules/members/images.php?id=1485877

Thanks again for your help!

is there any way to get a direct link to my TESNexus Uploaded-Images Gallery?

A link to your profile is about it. If you want a better "gallery" to send people to, I'd recommend uploading your pictures to Photobucket as well. You can organize pictures into folders and sub-folders and you can easily link to whichever folder you want.

Example:

My Oblivion WIP Gallery

My Image Reference Collection

My Blender Gallery

Wow, you are doing some pretty interesting work these days - hope you can give us some good mod soon!

I may not be using a third-party site as I am only wanting to showcase screenshots for now, and would prefer comments (and endorsements :-)) on them.

As an addendum to the original discussion, I found a short screenshotting guide on the BethSoft forums.

BethSoft Forums - Taking Oblivion Screenshots 101

Most of its contents is already what has been covered in this thread, but there are some tips on camera-handling and savegame-naming tips that might be useful to newcomers.

Edited by vvk78

As an addendum to the original discussion, I found a short screenshotting guide on the BethSoft forums.

BethSoft Forums - Taking Oblivion Screenshots 101

And that link is a perfect example of what I hate about Bethsoft forums. Just about every link to a topic in that thread has been "auto-purged" and all that great info lost. The thread itself would have been purged if it wasn't pinned. And for whatever reason, the original poster seems to have had their account deleted as well!

There's not much that hasn't already been covered but I will try to incorporate any missing info into the wiki article.

Thanks,

LHammonds

• 1 month later...