PC HELP!

Pyrosocial

well my little brother thinks its funny to hide things from me, and yesterday he took my laptop and put it in the deep freezer thinking it would be funny. i found a little while ago and im afraid to even turn it on becouse im worried it might if not allready die. :verymad:

could freezing it damage it in any way? :confused:

Well if it has any water or condensation on it, you should dry it up with a towel and leave it for a day, then turn it on to see if its working, but there is a high chance it wont though. You might be lucky though.

Wut? :blink: sheesh lol that sucks man. Reminds me of when my little cousin threw my memory card for my PS1 in the toilet.

How long was it in there? Let it dry forever, like a few days to a week...all the moisture needs to be gone or *poof*.

Wtf? I would not try to turn it on, as in the posts before, dont turn the laptop on! Wait for it to dry, otherwise its dead...in tv i saw that you can put hard disks into the fridge (or throw them into water) and they said, if you wait for it to dry, it probably will work again! Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Putting a HD in the freezer to try to get a bad drive to work long enough to back up your files may be recommended. But - you should also put it in a plastic bag to keep moisture out. I doubt if this was done with your laptop.

Leave you laptop out with the cover open and the battery out for at least 3 days for it to dry properly.

What can damage the processor and other chips is trickle current from moisture between leads on printed circuit boards. It's not the freezing, but the moisture that can cause damage.

ok i did that, but how can the moistur get in it? when i pulled it out it was very cold, but no ice or anything seemed to be on it.

ok i did that, but how can the moistur get in it? when i pulled it out it was very cold, but no ice or anything seemed to be on it.

Because there is always a bit of humidity in the air that can become frozen and develop on those parts that cool quicker than others (eg metal contacts). It may not be much water, but it can still be enough to cause a short and fry your whole computer. Keeping the computer in a fairly warm place, and allowing air to move through it will let any water that might have collected to evaporate.

You may want to overclock it now :)

The above posts are right, the cooling may affect mainly the passive components like electrolytic capacitors than the CPU itself (actually it works better when frozen). But the moisture can be a real issue and you should left the device rest for some time, better yet under air flow like from a fan.

Removing the battery in the while is paramount, yet I can't say how the low temp affected it.

So, what plans do you have for your little brother? I'd take his IG Joes outside and use them for my AR-15 target practice...being sure to return his IG Joes when finished with them.

LHammonds

So, what plans do you have for your little brother? I'd take his IG Joes outside and use them for my AR-15 target practice...being sure to return his IG Joes when finished with them.

LHammonds

Although fun, I don't think that would make anything better. Stuff like this are usually done for the sake of getting attention, so it's probably a better idea to make sure that attention is positive instead of negative. Yes... Kids are screwed up enough to do something bad again just so that you'll yell at them. Why I never plan on having any.