⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Staff account compromise. What's happened and an apology.

Dark0ne

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In NMM it says that there is a new version of NMM, I am on version 0.49.8. It says version 0.50.2 is out. I didn't download any of these files, or get an email but is this safe? I think someone further down mentioned something about a 'new update' swindle.

In response to post #15482745.

Zaldiir - I'm surprised you use Malwarebytes with MSE. Malwarebytes is basically holding up MSE in this case. I did a test in 2012, comparing MSE against AVG free, norton and a few other big names and found that even then, it couldn't automatically see the test virus found here http://www.eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html I know it's an old test virus, but if MSE can't see it unless i tell it to scan the file first as compared to AVG not even letting me download the thing, I'd have to say MSE is far worse than AVG. I've also cleaned computers that has MSE on them and found multiple bugs.

I'm not saying that MSE is completely bad, i just wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I'd rate it slightly above Norton as you don't have to pay for it, unlike norton.

MSE is there simply in case Malwarebytes fails. MSE takes up almost no resources at all, so that is why I chose that as the backup.

In response to post #15564150.

So, you're saying the page at http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/? is not one from which we should download NMM?

I read the latest report from Dark0ne. I'm assuming you're referring to the link in the bad email (which I haven't received) that he is referencing. Edited by playingskyrim

That's the Skyrim Nexus specific version of the same page. It's safe.

Better way to put it - only download it from the page found by clicking the "install NMM <version>" button found at the top of the Nexus site pages.

If you find it on another site, or are sent emails with a version attached - ignore/delete.