New Ubisoft games must always be online

TheTerminator2004

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/27...ways-be-online/

The ironic thing is, this will do absolutely nothing to stop piracy. If anything, it will have the exact opposite effect; cracked copies will have none of these restrictions - and when pirated copies of a game are better than the official, legally bought version, theres clearly a major problem.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how long it will take the pirates of the forbidden bay to crack this system. C+C4 is meant to have a similar thing as well. And I agree these moves only hurt themselves.

Not really much pirates can do. The first TOTALLY online game that I know is Rise of Flight, and I think that theres absolutely no way to get into it using cracks. Its best protection verses pirates those days. All the other games most likely will have cracks for them. And guys whats a big deal about it? Most people have internet right?

Has Ubisoft put out a good game anyways? haha

But, this is BS...and another one joins my list of companies I won't buy from. Seriously, this is going to hurt them BAD. About the dumbest idea I've seen to combat piracy. They need to understand that whatever they do to stop it, the pirates will just keep trying to get past it :( Sad, but true. It doesn't matter, they'll find a way.

I know of a few folks that don't have the Internet and play single player games. With this crap, it's like they are forced to have the Internet in order to even play it...that's just wrong.

And guys whats a big deal about it?

The deal is the fact that people don't like having their game information being shared with a company who is free to use that data however they want (marketing, system information, and other dubious information gathering practices). People also don't like when applications constantly phone home, or absolutely must have a constant internet connection to use. Although many people may have internet, it is not always a stable or constant connection. Being forced to have a connection always active becomes rather limiting for those who have dialup connections, or play from a laptop and maybe won't always have access to the internet. Being reliant on an external server to store and retrieve game saves and other things also requires a constantly active server, which no company has been able to achieve. Furthermore, it also limits the rights of the person who bought the game as they are only able to play the game if the company lets them. This is similar to the mess and outrage with spore. In order to play, you not only needed to have a constant internet connection, you also had to register your game and software key to a user account. If for any reason you lost access to your user account, or your key was claimed as being fraudulent (because some pirate somewhere activated the same key by chance), you would no longer be able to play without having to make a very long phone call to customer support that only results in an excessive phone charge and a wasted day.

And hate to tell you, but when it comes to high profile stuff like this, the teams usually make it a game to see who can crack it first. In cases like this, they could probably just record the packets that are sent between the client and server, decode them, and create a crack that emulates this behavior, linking to either a dummy server in some eastern European country, or to a local directory. It wouldn't be the first of such instances.

More importantly however is the fact that people will actually refuse to buy these games just because of the draconian methods which are used. Nobody likes losing their rights to those things they legally pay for. Whatever happens on the illegal side is actually of little consequence to the matter.

The first TOTALLY online game that I know is Rise of Flight, and I think that theres absolutely no way to get into it using cracks. Its best protection verses pirates those days.

Maybe, but then you just get imitation type things going on such as Moparscape :drag:

Remember don't copy that floppy

I know of a few folks that don't have the Internet and play single player games. With this crap, it's like they are forced to have the Internet in order to even play it...that's just wrong.

yeah, i know some too and i think its a very bad idea...definately will get no games from them anymore...except the new prince of persia game... :biggrin:

The internet and its servers aren't fool proof, mine regularly go down, stupid Virgin Media >:(

So even those who do play games while on the interwebz might have problems. And then these swashbucklers come along and offer a free and better alternative, what will these people do?

*Case in point my internet went down right after posting this.