Site updates: stability, premium donations, endorsements, downloading, apostrophes and full-stops

Dark0ne

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15900280. #15907070, #15908730 are all replies on the same post.

The last numbers mentioned from official side tell of a "400%" increase in download figures over the last days. The servers were already struggling and needed to be improved to cope with the traffic from before, which was a success. But "4 times" as much? What's ever gonna cope with this increase apart from yet more new servers? And who's ever gonna pay for 4 times as many servers as there are now? From what money?

Well, people are telling a lot about the Nexus would've had to "be prepared" for these things lately. Alright now, I'm telling you you're going to have to pay 4 times the price for power, gas and water, starting with... oh, hey, tomorrow! ...Were You prepared?!

According to this post http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1836945-site-is-slowwww/&do=findComment&comment=15872200 we're at around 20.000 new members registering this week alone now. And they all want to download hundreds of mods right away! How could this ever possibly 'not' have a massive impact on the servers is beyond me.

Im having problem downloading from manger and sometimes downloading to disk also im using mod organizer so I dont know whats going on but please work on this I have fath in yall the nexus is my top website for modding my games -Patrick Paul

I must say that what's been going on around here in the past few months has been nothing short of awesome. Every change seems to be a good one, and everything seems to be working out fantastically, but I do have two minor nits to pick:

1. NMM seems to hate large files, claiming that the server is unreachable. Medium-sized files can sometimes take 3-4 tries, and really large ones (for instance, Apachii SkyHair Female 1.4) flatly refuse to go through and have to be pulled manually.

2. The endorsement popup is asking me about files I downloaded LAST YEAR for a game I'm no longer playing. Nothing more recent (and I *know* there's stuff I downloaded just yesterday that I didn't endorse), and most of these things were so unremarkable and so long ago that I not only forgot to endorse them, but I also forgot whether or not I ever actually used them. How far is this gonna go back before it swings around and gets more recent? Because I'm sure there's stuff from the distant past for Fallout 3, Oblivion and Morrowind that I didn't endorse (or maybe I *rated* them, but that was a different system) ...

Those two minor nits out of the way (minor, because I have absolute faith that they'd be worked out without my input), thumbs up and thanks for all you do ... because if you weren't doing it, I'm sure some profiteer would step up and wreck it.

Changes to the way manual downloads are served

We've changed the way we serve manual downloads to you via the pop-up. While before when you went to download a file manually you would be presented with a list of file servers to choose from we are now moving to a quicker, more automated system that will pick the least over-loaded server from a geographic location you've specified in your preferences. If you haven't specified your preferred location then the first time you go to download a file you'll be asked to pick one.

There are several reasons for doing this:

Right now we have 23 file servers. As we continue to expand the number of file servers we provide it's going to become untenable (or very ugly) to show them all to you so you can make a selection.

Many people seem to grow attached to a certain file server and will only ever download from that server even when it's overloaded. This causes an unnecessary load on the network we'd rather avoid.

It allows us to code algorithms that manage our file server network more closely, ensuring that load is evenly balanced.

It removes a click from the downloading operation which in turn speeds up the downloading process.

ahem....

if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Website stability has gone downhill over the last several days. It does not display properly with Google Chrome, even in Incognito mode or a full history and cache cleanup. With Internet Explorer, I may have to hit refresh about ten times before the page will display.