Resolution Not Supported

GrayWolf04

I am playing Skyrim with my computer hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable. When viewing the desktop, the resolution (1202x690) fits perfectly. However, the only resolution that is large enough without overscanning when playing skyrim is 1176x664, and that leaves about half inch black bands on all sides. This is really starting to bug me, as I've fixed it before, but now can't remember. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks.

Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

EDIT: To note, I can set the resolution in the game's settings to 1824x1026, which works perfectly, filling the screen. The only problem is that it is so large that it causes a massive framerate drop. Hope this helps.

Edited by GrayWolf04

Chevy is correct, you can set a custom resolution in the Nvidia control Panel. Go to the change resolution tab and select customize. Check the box for "Enable resolution not exposed by the display." Then just "create custom resolution." Change your desktop to that resolution through the windows control panel, then tell skyrim to do the same. That should work perfectly for playing on your TV :]

I was playing Skyrim when I posted last so here is a more detailed reply.

I am not sure how the mobile GeForce cards work.

If you have the Nvidia Control Panel go to Desktop size and position.

From there if you have selected a resolution that your TV supports you can re-size the desktop (or anything that will run on the tv) to fill the whole screen.

I use a tv as well,

I just set the game for what will work for it that is under the setting I have for my desktop. But the guys are right you can set up in Nvidea control panel for using a tv specifically and even adjust resolution its nice stuff.

Adjust Desktop Size and Positioning->

Go to the 2nd tab

2. checkmark Screen Resize,

follow the prompts basically you just pull some arrow tabs.

Good Luck

Something nobody has mentioned yet, is under your regular Skyrim launcher options tab, what does it say your ASPECT RATIO is? If it's 16:10 your resolution will be greatly limited. Change it to 16:9 and enjoy your new resolution options.

I already had it set to 16:9. As for the control panel, I have tried that already, but it says it isn't supported for the resolution I'm trying to change, and is disabled. When I try it for the next size up and then to shrink it, it works, but in skyrim it goes back to being too big.

I already had it set to 16:9. As for the control panel, I have tried that already, but it says it isn't supported for the resolution I'm trying to change, and is disabled. When I try it for the next size up and then to shrink it, it works, but in skyrim it goes back to being too big.

Desktop resizing in the NVIDIA control panel will work. I used to use a 32" tv on my my computer that ran at 1080P, but it's display would not show all of the picture and I had to shrink it to fit the tv.

As people have said it will work if you use the nvidia control panel.