FPS Obliviion (No obse)

Moonkitty

hey - so basically i love oblivion. BUT.. i have a mac.

my mac is pretty cool and i found out how to play and mod oblivion with it, but even though i can use almost all mods, i cant use obse mods.

i was wondering if anyone has some idea for a performance enhancer that does NOT require obse?

i dnt know too much about mods so i dnt even know if much can be done, but all replies help :)

p.s. I'm looking for something like streamline or something but w/o obse

Before going to Lite Brite, try running oblivion on a lower resolution, putting everything to low in the options screen, turn off HDR, and turn off any shadows being used. You also should turn off any AF or AA setting in your video card as they can chew up fps. Then turn on each setting a little higher until you reach a fps you can live without losing graphics.

hey - thanks for the suggestions :)

yeah - the tlb idea is pretty cool. and i fixed my res too.

thanks you guys :)

also btw another thing i did was i just deleted some of my mods, but i also added the "no wind" mod and it helps.

any other suggestions?

There is no much that can be done to enhance that. CPU aware performance and graphics are pretty much dependent on the windows emulator/VM you uses (beat me if Mac allows dual boot in native windows :) ).

I'm willing to say than everything that enhances performance in native windows should better the performance there, but I have no real means to know it.

So I would advise to reduce or remove completely all grass. There is mods that allow keeping low polygons grass that may help without eliminating it completely.

use the "quiet feet" mod, that is an advice that is valid even to PC users.

Try "Operation optimization" too

the list is long, look for performance mods.

• 1 year later...
Keep in mind, Macs are more work computers. I love playing oblivion on my Mac, but I just cant find a way to get OBSE or anything to work. Plus, my graphics card just can't handle high FPS on even low end graphics (like most Macs, except maybe the brand new ones with a Geforce AND a radeon x 1 GB installed). I get like 20 FPS, which is fine, but it gets really laggy at times. ALso, if anyone knows how to get OBSE running, let me know please!

OBSE uses checksums to tell whether or not you have a version it supports. If your version of the game does not match a supported checksum, it's just not going to work. I used to run PC games on a Mac using legal commercial emulation software and commercial Windows games when I got my first computer. i.e. I made a PC volume on my Mac running real bought Windows and PC versions of boxed games. That was a long time ago though and I am not sure how these things work now. I am assuming Oblivion was not released on Mac and you are doing something similar? Did you buy the game from Steam or the boxed game? OBSE will not work on D2D or Impulse versions if you bought one of those. If you are a Steam customer and you bought it on Steam, your checksum may be fine but you need to install OBSE for Steam. It has special instructions. I'm thinking your checksums must be different from the versions that OBSE supports,though.

I'm on a Mac, too, right now, but using Oblivion inside a Win 7 Pro virtual machine I require for some work tasks. It's not the fastest this thing could give me, but I'm not allowed to put any parallel OS installation on it so it's the best I can get, and every 3rd party tool or anything is working totally fine for me.