Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

Not quite on point, but just something to think about: In Fallout New Vegas, the villains were Caesar's Legion, and the NCR symbol is a bear, correct?

The Legion in the Fallout is the opposite of the Empire in the Elder Scrolls series. The NCR symbol is a bear because they are the New California Republic, borrowing the California State Flag as a banner.

And the choice of using the NCR wasn't even up to Bethesda. It was introduced by Interplay back in Fallout 2. What Bethesda did in FNV was just a natural progression of such a political entity.

Let's not Forget FNV was Obsidian, not Bethesda's, writing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite on point, but just something to think about: In Fallout New Vegas, the villains were Caesar's Legion, and the NCR symbol is a bear, correct?

The Legion in the Fallout is the opposite of the Empire in the Elder Scrolls series. The NCR symbol is a bear because they are the New California Republic, borrowing the California State Flag as a banner.

And the choice of using the NCR wasn't even up to Bethesda. It was introduced by Interplay back in Fallout 2. What Bethesda did in FNV was just a natural progression of such a political entity.

For which Bethesda was the Publisher, and therefore had editorial control. That is, expansion of thematic elements needed to be kept "within the lines" of the game universe that had already been established.

For which Bethesda was the Publisher, and therefore had editorial control. That is, expansion of thematic elements needed to be kept "within the lines" of the game universe that had already been established.

Yes but my point being- The thematic elements referred -NCR and Caesar's Legion- were still being used in more or less the same roles they were introduced in originally in Fallout 2 and Van Buren, something Bethesda obviously was ok with keeping, compared to, say, the changes in the Brotherhood of Steel between FO2 and FO3. So I don't think we can really read much into that as far as the topic of the discussion is concerned.

Yes but my point being- The thematic elements referred -NCR and Caesar's Legion- were still being used in more or less the same roles they were introduced in originally in Fallout 2 and Van Buren, something Bethesda obviously was ok with keeping, compared to, say, the changes in the Brotherhood of Steel between FO2 and FO3. So I don't think we can really read much into that as far as the topic of the discussion is concerned.

The Brotherhood didn't change between FO2 and FO3. The East Coast offshoot were just that, an offshoot, arguably renegades with respect to the overall organization. FNV has a branch of the main Brotherhood, and they are their usual isolationist tech collecting selves.

An interesting contrast between FO2 and FO3 vis a vis the Brotherhood of Steel. In FO3 the Brotherhood carries on like they weren't supposed to allow outsiders to join. It was the bone of contention between the Outcasts (BoS hardcore) and the local chapter led by Lyons, who had decided to go against policy by inducting outsiders as Initiates. However, if I recall correctly, in FO2 in one of the towns (the Hub?) there was a BoS recruiting office.

An interesting contrast between FO2 and FO3 vis a vis the Brotherhood of Steel. In FO3 the Brotherhood carries on like they weren't supposed to allow outsiders to join. It was the bone of contention between the Outcasts (BoS hardcore) and the local chapter led by Lyons, who had decided to go against policy by inducting outsiders as Initiates. However, if I recall correctly, in FO2 in one of the towns (the Hub?) there was a BoS recruiting office.

It was more than that in Fo3. Lyons chapter was also open and working with the locals as a force for rebuilding society, whereas the main chapter's mandate was to horde all tech to protect society from technology. Lyons approach was a lot more sustainable and practical.

It was more than that in Fo3. Lyons chapter was also open and working with the locals as a force for rebuilding society, whereas the main chapter's mandate was to horde all tech to protect society from technology. Lyons approach was a lot more sustainable and practical.

Which I thought was rather ironic. The BoS traditionalists became the Outcasts while the "official" local chapter under Lyons had, in fact, gone rogue. Instead of the traditionalists being labeled Outcasts, it should have been Lyons and his followers being labeled Renegades.

Which I thought was rather ironic. The BoS traditionalists became the Outcasts while the "official" local chapter under Lyons had, in fact, gone rogue. Instead of the traditionalists being labeled Outcasts, it should have been Lyons and his followers being labeled Renegades.

In theory, yes, but they were still the dominant faction in the region so their name stuck.