I'm beginning to find it harder to hate the Thalmor...

Kestrellius

Hm. Okay. Well, I guess that messes with my theory that Herma-Mora and Akatosh are closely related. (They both have to do with time/fate, and both have an apparently specific interest in Dragonborn.)

Yeah, so Landfall is the thing from C0DA, right? I haven't been able to figure out C0DA yet. I guess it's supposed to be a visual novel, or something, but it's basically a script for a visual novel, and combining that with MK's bizarre writing...well, it's a bit difficult to read. As I understand it, C0DA takes place after Landfall, an event that destroys Nirn proper, but leaves the moons intact, I guess?

So...As far as I know, C0DA is basically "potential" canon, right? It's something that could happen, but not necessarily?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...As far as I know, C0DA is basically "potential" canon, right? It's something that could happen, but not necessarily?

C0DA occupies an interesting/weird area in lore, along with many of the external texts. Bethesda has embraced them at several times in the games, but never actually outright included the entire text. Both Kurt and Todd participated in an IRC conversation in which C0DA was essentially designed. They're "canon" in the same way that anything else is really canon. Another piece of the puzzle.

Okay. Since posting previously, I've run across things saying that C0DA is some sort of in-universe project to document every possible instance of the TES universe? That would explain quite a bit, I guess.

As an aside, I love the way Bethesda has decided to just run with the pluralism of events here, simply because it fits so well with an open-world game. Every playthrough is canon, because every one of them happened in some universe.

Thalmor Justicar: "Perhaps you have something you would care to confess?"

Me: "Nuh, uh. Ain't going there."

TJ: "What?"

Me: (Places arm in friendly fashion over TJ's shoulder and points back down road with other arm) "See that dragon down the road?"

Odahviing: (Looks up from eating a cow and waves with one wing.)

TJ: "GULP"

Me: "So, let's skip the whole 'okay, you got me, I'm a Talos worshipper' dance and talk about what in Oblivion is eating you guys."

TJ: "Uhm, okay. Well, it's like this. Reality... this reality -mortality that is, is a prison imposed upon us. All we want to do is unmake time so that we return to what we originally were. A single race/entity in a complete transcendent reality. No death, no mortality."

Me: "Okay. I'm with you so far. So... If I understand this correctly, Nirn -all of Mundis, would simply... what? Cease to exist? Doesn't that murder us all?"

TJ: "No, no. Mundis would never come into being at all. You wouldn't die, you simply would never have existed in the first place. How can you murder something that never existed?"

Me: "Uhm, is this like that 'Chicken and the egg' riddle Ma told me about?"

TJ: "What?"

Me: "You know... -what came first, the chicken or the egg?"

TJ: "What in Oblivion are you blathering about you stupid Nord monkey-brained.... uh-oh..."

WHAM!

Me: (Cleans gore off of warhammer.)

Odahviing: (Stomps up road and looks down at considerably shorter Thalmor) "Didn't go well?"

Me: "Hey, I tried. I went full metaphysical with him and he reverted to name calling." (Gestures at Thalmor) "You hungry?"

Odahviing: (Picks cow horn out between teeth) "Naw, I'm good. What now?"

Me: "Well, there's two more of them just up the road."

Odahviing: "Oh goody, I love strafing runs!"

@lachdonin the better answer is an almost chicken. However I don't see how that supports the Thalmor, trying to stop the natural evolution of the universe goes against the way of the voice. Although those who seek to end the flow of time, may prolong it, while those who seek to prolong it, may destroy us all.

Edited by Valkasha