⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

I'm beginning to find it harder to hate the Thalmor...

Kestrellius

Seriously? You seem to be the local expert on TES lore in general. I'm not nearly as into the lore history as you are. What I said above was pretty much made up just for my justification. But you're saying that some of it (the part about this might being the last cycle) might be true?

(Looks at my game character): No pressure, dude...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, i'm somewhat touched. I wouldn't say i'm an expert though... a good deal of the higher metaphysical stuff i've read is still over my head. I'm trying to come to grips with the idea that the 12 worlds are all echoes of Anu's past existence before becoming the Amaranth...

But yeah, there is a strong vibe amongst some of my betters (both on the Beth Forums and /r/TESLore) that this is the last Kalpa. None of the previous Kalpa`s seem to have so many loop-holes to keep them going, many of which actually pre-date the achievement of CHIM by Vivec. So, something`s up.

Lorkhans plan was to enable the et´ada to achieve CHIM by becoming mortals - blatantly stolen from buddhism :laugh:

Thus with 2 beings already having achieved CHIM, this is definetely a succesful calpa, however I find it questionable to think it would be the last. Sure it can be extended and all threats to mundus defeated but the last calpa would be one where everyone achieves CHIM. And I don´t see that happening.

The fine tuning concept seems to me more "realistic".

Edited by monganfinn

But if the Thalmor's goal is to put an end to the current cycle, how do they intend to even begin to achieve this? Seeing as Ancano blew his cover the first time something powerful happened to show up near him, they don't seem to actually have a strategy other than slightly annoying Talos.

The Thalmor want to destroy the towers keeping Mundus in existence. There are several, for example the one in the summerset islands, High Hrothgar, the Red Mountain, the one in the imperial capital etc. Deactivating those would unravel Mundus and thus turn the descendants of the original et´ada back into their immortal selves.

I don´t think it is confirmed if every lifeform on Nirn is a descendant of the et´ada or if some were created as the nords claim.

Ancanos stunt was merely that, a personal stunt that wasn´t part of his superiors plans or a possible new solution.

They want to ban Talos worship as the gods draw power from the worship of mortals, ironically banning Talos worship due to that reason means that they acknoledge that Talos is a god.

The Thalmor don´t know nor would accept that Talos is CHIM thus their plan in their minds is sound

Why are the two CHIMs doing nothing to stop the Thalmor?

Edited by monganfinn

Ancanos stunt was merely that, a personal stunt that wasn´t part of his superiors plans or a possible new solution.

Indeed, if he had been acting as he should have, then he would have made all efforts to have the "Eye of Magnus" taken from the college and secured in a location held by Thalmor operatives until it could be studied until they figured out how best to use it.

He got too caught up in his own game.

Why are the two CHIMs doing nothing to stop the Thalmor?

Perhaps some other influence prevents it? Some agreed upon pact of non-interference? If you've ever seen the Stargate TV series - think the Ascended Ancients and how they describe the ways that they conducted themselves normally. Distant, everwatching but remaining impartial unless directly challenged.

Could be that the adversity faced is part of the process for some. If the previous achievers stepped in they would possibly be denying someone their chance to take that final step.

CHIM has limitations. Best I've been able to interpret, love is the limiting factor, even as it's the way to achieve CHIM. You can only use your power on others out of love, otherwise you still risk Zero-Sum.

As for the Thalmor... There is nothing to indicate they are targeting Towers. The Do have something against Talos though. They understand how Convention works, and want to undo it. But when Talks achieved one part of his divinity (the part the Thalmor know and understand) he became a second lock on creation. In order for the Thalmor to get to the Ur Stone of Convention, they have to go through Talos. But how do you kill a God?

Easy, remove its worshiper. The Thalmor know the Aedra are sustained by the Mythical images of those who worship them, and believe Talos follows the same rules. To destroy him and make the moment of Convention vulnerable, they need to eradicate the worship of Talos and remove him as a God.

I have a question that goes along with the current topic. I know that the Thalmor want to destroy all the towers to unmake creation but one of them is the Throat of the World. How do the Thalmor go about destroying an entire mountain, especially one that has dragon trained monks and an actual dragon?

Again, there is nothing to indicate the Thalmor want to destroy the towers, only unseat the Ur-Stone, which is the Convention. Taking down the towers may help in that goal, but we have no evidence of them targeti.g the towers yet. In fact, the towers we know of were all deactivated prior to their rise to power.

All of that said, you don't need to physically destroy a tower to 'destroy a Tower'. Destruction of the Stone which serves as the anchor for the Tower is just as good. This is what happened to White-Gold. The destruction CHIM-Abal (probably spelling that wrong) deactivated White-Gold, just as the destruction of the Heart of Lorkhan deactivated Red-Tower.

All they would need to do is find and destroy the Stone of Snow-Throat.