StarCraft II Anounced!!!!!!!!!&#33

Pyrosocial

Nah, the name of both the game and developer alone will insure good sales. They release so few games that any game do they do release will sell like hot cakes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, the name of both the game and developer alone will insure good sales. They release so few games that any game do they do release will sell like hot cakes.

yeah you are right ...... i just hate the way they DONT try , yeah this will do lol the masses will still buy it :rolleyes:

err have you guys watched the gameplay videos ? StarCraft II going to flop........

Not sure on that one there. From what I saw, they kept many of the gameplay elements the same, and instead focused on improving graphics, response, and overall look and feel with the addition of a few more unit types. For people who liked the gameplay of the first one, this is good news since they won't have to deal with some sort of new contrived gameplay mechanic.

As far as Diablo 3 goes, Blizzard took notice of what was happening when Torchlight was released and the months after, and quickly adjusted their release plans. Depending on how you look at it, it can mean both that Blizzard had come to realize that certain new mechanics were not that good (to be fixed), or that Blizzard saw things which they wanted to replicate (to be added). So if they screw that one up, it'll probably be a major screw up and not some random "we thought it would be cool". At the very least I would hope that it has encouraged them to keep it more to realistic looking characters instead of cartoony cellshaded (WoW style) ones.

Hopefully diablo III wont make us have to pay for online play.

At the very least I would hope that it has encouraged them to keep it more to realistic looking characters instead of cartoony cellshaded (WoW style) ones.

it's what make sit awesome

I've been following ST2 like a hawk, and the cinimatics (like always) are great, the ame play is great, and the story line is gonnabe epic, i don't see why every one is against it.

The price is just ludicrous. I played a bit of the beta (boyfriend got a key) and wasn't too impressed. It's just SC1 with more eye candy and slightly better graphics. 10 years for that? They've probably had this game made for years and finally found a good time to release it....

I just have the most horrible feeling DIII is going to suck bad...:sad: They decide to make it after all the people that made D2 either got fired or quit...yeah, a bunch of WoW developers working on DIII...gonna be great game guys :rolleyes:

Indeed, experimenting with the design and tweaking around a bit with the Diablo franschise certainly can be nothing else than an affront to the community as a whole. How dare they!

Thinly veiled and unbearably self-righteous sarcasm on my part aside, I'm quite intruiged by the look of Diablo III. In my opinion, it's colourful enough to feel inviting, stimulating and pleasant to the eye without making it look like a licensed Shrek-game put on a loincloth and stormed the dark pits of the very same merchandizing company they came from. Adding a lick of paint doesn't render it nothing else but for children and 'WoW ****' (Immature term which also means cigarettes in the ancient lands of Britain) or remove all the atmosphere, in my opinion. I think that Blizzard know very well enough by now how to make an atmospheric colourscheme that works. Everything doesn't have to be grey, black or dark red to convey the atmosphere of a creepy dungeon in a particularly creepy world.

My point is, demanding grey and drab colours beause the precuels (I don't know how to spell that word, but that's certainly not it, I'm sure) had it feels rather flawed. Should we then also demand them to tweak back the graphics capabilities and remove the physics engine, since the first game didn't have cell-shaded zombies soaring through the air? No, in my opinion, this is a good time indeed to experiment a bit and of course wheel out some colours for my soar, nerd-eyes to rest upon.

And on that subject, why is WoW and all those playing it considered to be so inferior? Come now, it's a good game, even if there is quite a few things to complain about. Why is using a creative way of portraying the world, with a feel that makes me think of fairytale-book illustrations, such a wrong thing to do? Not only does it give some variety to my eyes (Recently, after a long round of Gears of War with a mate, I had an awful feeling I'd gone colourblind) but also does much to lower the technical requirements, which mean it's accessible to more people. Sure, WoW could be considered the MMO equivalent of McDonalds, but there's a very solid game in there with a nice way to present itself. Then why can't Diablo III do this?

The same points go out to Starcraft II, another game that's been given a stimulating colourswab. I say, bring out the colours! Fighting in the depths of space, Azeroth or Sanctuary are all best done without taping used coffee-filters filled with powdered gravel to your glasses.

Of course, you could give the choice to the players, if funds and technology permits.

With me I'll take a "wait & see" approach with Starcraft II & Diablo III to see If I want to even have them on my computer, though the high price tag doesn't help Starcraft II's cause. I personally liked WoW's look but I didn't like the feeling I was paying to work (not play) in a fantasy world. I would love an offline version of WoW though

And on that subject, why is WoW and all those playing it considered to be so inferior? Come now, it's a good game, even if there is quite a few things to complain about. Why is using a creative way of portraying the world, with a feel that makes me think of fairytale-book illustrations, such a wrong thing to do? Not only does it give some variety to my eyes (Recently, after a long round of Gears of War with a mate, I had an awful feeling I'd gone colourblind) but also does much to lower the technical requirements, which mean it's accessible to more people. Sure, WoW could be considered the MMO equivalent of McDonalds, but there's a very solid game in there with a nice way to present itself. Then why can't Diablo III do this?

The same points go out to Starcraft II, another game that's been given a stimulating colourswab. I say, bring out the colours! Fighting in the depths of space, Azeroth or Sanctuary are all best done without taping used coffee-filters filled with powdered gravel to your glasses.

Of course, you could give the choice to the players, if funds and technology permits.

Well, as I see it, WoW really suffers from two main problems, one which was intended by the developer, and the other which was only made worse as the game became popular.

The first problem is with the graphics. While yes, it makes everything have a story-book like appearance, it is very stylized, meaning that either people like it or they don't. The part which people don't like about it is the bizarre and unrealistic look given to characters, weapons, and environments. Things are out of scale, exaggerated, and often look too "thick". Torchlight has this problem as well, despite being made by some of the same people who worked on Diablo games, it is regarded as a "Diablo for kids" because of nothing else other than that look. Cellshading can be done to where it can still look good, but there has to be a good balance between the look of the world, characters, and weapons and reality. It's not even "like Shrek" because the proportions are so screwed up.

http://www.multiplaying.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/torchlight.jpg

The hands are huge, the weapons and equipment are clunky and stupid looking,

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/previews/pc/world-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-a.jpg

The hands are huge, the weapons and equipment are clunky and stupid looking.

In comparison with another western MMO title, Everquest 2 (which sucks for different reasons)

http://img.jeuxvideopc.com/screenshot/9623-everquest-2-kingdom-of-sky-40_640.jpg

The hands are proportionate to the character, just as the equipment is, while still being in a fairytale fantasy setting.

In comparison with another cellshaded, stylized MMO (allbeit anime inspired)

http://www.4gamer.net/shots/mabinogi/img/mabinogi_015.jpg

The hands are proportionate to the characters, just as the equipment is, while still being in a fairytale fantasy setting.

The second issue is out of the control of developers, and that's the caustic player base. The players of WoW have become a steriotypical mix of powergamers who take things way too damn seriously, shutins who live through the game, roleplayers who just plain fail, and grievers who get their kicks from ruining the time of everyone else. Every MMO game has this, certainly, but the sort that play on WoW tend to be among the worst due to how some things within the game is setup.

For the powergamers, you have both a drop system which is geared around one or two people from a party getting the good stuff (usually being handled by some sort of point system where you get a certain piece of equipment after x number of times raiding with a given group, and a thriving blackmarket cash for gold/items economy. Although both of these are also typical of most MMOs, it only seems to get worse with each expansion as most everything that was available before is either outclassed or nerfed to the point of uselessness.

For the shutins, you have an environment that is lush and social, and a game where you become limited rather quickly as to what you can do solo. Although the grinding isn't as bad as some Asian MMOs (L2 for example), it's still something which helps contribute to a game where people start out always playing in order to get good, but getting addicted. Combined with the cash for items (RMT) blackmarket, it allows a section of these people to afford a portion of their expenses which would normally be offset by working.

For the roleplayers, you have a world with its unique look and feel, and where most elements are kept within lore. You also have channels setup specifically for roleplayers. Under normal circumstances, this would be ideal for those who like roleplaying. But there is a problem in that there are those who take things too seriously, and who seek out removing people from the server due to violations because your definition of roleplaying is not the same as theirs. Even though some of these people may be functional in reality, and may just be looking to get away, those who take it too seriously need to get a life. This leaves mostly the die-hard roleplayers on the roleplay servers, and everyone else who isn't "pure" enough to fend for themselves on other channels.

For the Jagoffs out there, the game's mechanics are in their favor. Certain builds are given the ability to pwn almost everyone they fight, or they become so crucial to a raid, and so hard to find, that it gives people the ability to either rape you repeatedly the moment you leave a safe area, or run a raid up to where the boss is, and just decide to let the team die. With the way that the looting system works, stealing loot, or abusing bugs is not uncommon, and there have been ways to accomplish it without leaving any record of the act. Then there are just general harassment issues, like a high level mage using the sheep spell on a quest boss just to keep people from being able to kill it. Given the massive number of players in the game, people who do these sorts of things can usually continue doing them without any long term repercussion. And with each new expansion, the number of things they can do to annoy others increases, and they get even more places where they can screw up raids for their personal entertainment.

Alone, one of these issues might be enough to overlook, but combined they just lead to a game that many people just don't like. Although Starcraft and Diablo is not likely to have much of a problem with either issue, they do have the heritage of being connected with the same company, and now it seems to be the same sorts of greed. Unfortunately, aspects which are seen as working well financially for one franchise are often brought into other franchises.

Edited by Vagrant0

Well, as I see it, WoW really suffers from two main problems, one which was intended by the developer, and the other which was only made worse as the game became popular.

The first problem is with the graphics. While yes, it makes everything have a story-book like appearance, it is very stylized, meaning that either people like it or they don't. The part which people don't like about it is the bizarre and unrealistic look given to characters, weapons, and environments. Things are out of scale, exaggerated, and often look too "thick". Torchlight has this problem as well, despite being made by some of the same people who worked on Diablo games, it is regarded as a "Diablo for kids" because of nothing else other than that look. Cellshading can be done to where it can still look good, but there has to be a good balance between the look of the world, characters, and weapons and reality. It's not even "like Shrek" because the proportions are so screwed up.

http://www.multiplaying.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/torchlight.jpg

The hands are huge, the weapons and equipment are clunky and stupid looking,

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/previews/pc/world-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-a.jpg

The hands are huge, the weapons and equipment are clunky and stupid looking.

In comparison with another western MMO title, Everquest 2 (which sucks for different reasons)

http://img.jeuxvideopc.com/screenshot/9623-everquest-2-kingdom-of-sky-40_640.jpg

The hands are proportionate to the character, just as the equipment is, while still being in a fairytale fantasy setting.

In comparison with another cellshaded, stylized MMO (allbeit anime inspired)

http://www.4gamer.net/shots/mabinogi/img/mabinogi_015.jpg

The hands are proportionate to the characters, just as the equipment is, while still being in a fairytale fantasy setting.

The second issue is out of the control of developers, and that's the caustic player base. The players of WoW have become a steriotypical mix of powergamers who take things way too damn seriously, shutins who live through the game, roleplayers who just plain fail, and grievers who get their kicks from ruining the time of everyone else. Every MMO game has this, certainly, but the sort that play on WoW tend to be among the worst due to how some things within the game is setup.

For the powergamers, you have both a drop system which is geared around one or two people from a party getting the good stuff (usually being handled by some sort of point system where you get a certain piece of equipment after x number of times raiding with a given group, and a thriving blackmarket cash for gold/items economy. Although both of these are also typical of most MMOs, it only seems to get worse with each expansion as most everything that was available before is either outclassed or nerfed to the point of uselessness.

For the shutins, you have an environment that is lush and social, and a game where you become limited rather quickly as to what you can do solo. Although the grinding isn't as bad as some Asian MMOs (L2 for example), it's still something which helps contribute to a game where people start out always playing in order to get good, but getting addicted. Combined with the cash for items (RMT) blackmarket, it allows a section of these people to afford a portion of their expenses which would normally be offset by working.

For the roleplayers, you have a world with its unique look and feel, and where most elements are kept within lore. You also have channels setup specifically for roleplayers. Under normal circumstances, this would be ideal for those who like roleplaying. But there is a problem in that there are those who take things too seriously, and who seek out removing people from the server due to violations because your definition of roleplaying is not the same as theirs. Even though some of these people may be functional in reality, and may just be looking to get away, those who take it too seriously need to get a life. This leaves mostly the die-hard roleplayers on the roleplay servers, and everyone else who isn't "pure" enough to fend for themselves on other channels.

For the Jagoffs out there, the game's mechanics are in their favor. Certain builds are given the ability to pwn almost everyone they fight, or they become so crucial to a raid, and so hard to find, that it gives people the ability to either rape you repeatedly the moment you leave a safe area, or run a raid up to where the boss is, and just decide to let the team die. With the way that the looting system works, stealing loot, or abusing bugs is not uncommon, and there have been ways to accomplish it without leaving any record of the act. Then there are just general harassment issues, like a high level mage using the sheep spell on a quest boss just to keep people from being able to kill it. Given the massive number of players in the game, people who do these sorts of things can usually continue doing them without any long term repercussion. And with each new expansion, the number of things they can do to annoy others increases, and they get even more places where they can screw up raids for their personal entertainment.

Alone, one of these issues might be enough to overlook, but combined they just lead to a game that many people just don't like. Although Starcraft and Diablo is not likely to have much of a problem with either issue, they do have the heritage of being connected with the same company, and now it seems to be the same sorts of greed. Unfortunately, aspects which are seen as working well financially for one franchise are often brought into other franchises.

How long did it take you to write that? O.o

the game looks alot better than those pics now. bsides the one in the front was a dwarf. they have big hands.

I hated the WoW graphics to start with too. I loved EQ2's graphics, especially when it first came out. It was probably the one and only MMO, of the few I've played, that actually made me enjoy running around doing not very much (:lol: mining rocks) because it looked so damn good and the people weren't all utterly terrible chatters. The pretty appeal faded away pretty quick though.

The WoW graphics grew on me and it didn't destroy my opinion of it being a very very good game for what it is; an MMO. However my personal preference will always be on realistic graphics over Disneyland graphics any day of the week.