Why does everyone here seem and/or say they kill Loghain every time?

SpellAndShield

If Loghain would just stop blaming me for everything and other.. details.. I'd like him, he's a far more intelligent king then calien and the glorious battle at ostagar was just plain stupidity by calien. I spare loghain because i need good warriors to save ferelden, that's more important then alistairs emotionall issues, especially since all we do is kill people / things..

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always keep Loghain alive. As I play male human character, Morrigan is always my in game love interest. I see Alistar as a threat rather than a companion. I stop partying with Alistar as soon as Leliana joins. Due to "Dark Promise" event, I can't have Morrigan nor do I wish to have her hook up with Alistar. Therefore, Alistar has to be sacrificed or executed or exiled.

• 4 weeks later...

Gameplay-wise Loghain maybe a bit better, if you need a tank.

Story-wise Loghain is FAR more interesting than Alistair (cliché character...).

Although he hasn't much text (his two-second-speech broke my heart at Denerim's gate :mellow: ).

But I guess, it's because he appears so late as potential "ally".

I killed him in the 1st game, but after reading the novel I couldn't bare it.

Some things are worth mentioning, f.e.:

- Orlais was and is scum, calling exalted marches so and so often

- The women of Orlais in Denerims market place and her story about raping chevalier

- That dude from the RtO DLC prequest, who said even WITH Loghains men, the battle were lost(!)

- a.s.o.

So, what is left to say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szTVsyf_CM&feature=related

and

(weaker editing-wise, but great character-wise)

First time around I happily cut his head off.

But after reflecting a bit...I realized after all that had happen I don't believe my human noble male character could really do that. Consider the history of the land and the age of my character. When he was a young boy he was probably playing Logain vs. Orlesian scum (as opposed to cowboys and indians), and everybody wanted to be Logain.

And now you're going to kill your childhood hero? Tough argument, so when Rialdon proposed the idea of Logain becoming a warden, I feel that would be the logical choice for my character. And because he does want 'revenge', Logain makes the killing blow. At least now he is a hero/marytr that can be used to rally Freldon further...(and I'm not dead (nor Alistar...I love his sarcasm) so that's good for awakenings...)

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone read the books? I swear that half the people hate Loghain is because they haven't read the books.

Well, BKE, you are correct that very FEW people who play DA have read the books. But even if we have, all they provide is some context for his character by describing his past glory and service to Ferelden, and the basis for his fears regarding both Cailan's fitness and Orlais's predatory nature.

But by the time MY Warden encounters him, he has become a delusional, paranoid, meglomaniac who deserves pity, (maybe) and death (probably) for his crimes against...

Well, let's just list the major ones, shall we?

-- Eamon, (through Jowan)

-- Cailan, his Sworn Liege Lord and King, whom he betrayed and abandonded (This is his worst crime, to my way of thinking.)

-- Me, (if I'm a HN then indirectly through his creature Howe, and in any case directly by authorizing the contract with the Crows)

-- His own daughter who is, at this point, also his Queen.

-- Decency, by selling sentient beings into slavery (maybe even MORE abhorent than his leaving the field at Ostagar.)

"Die, and Good Riddance!" I say.

Did anyone read the books? I swear that half the people hate Loghain is because they haven't read the books.

I read both books and I despise him in the game. In the books I found him to be selfish and self-serving for the most part; courageous to be sure but reluctantly so and always nagging and whining about it. A hero does heroic things without consideration for his or her own safety and well being and doesn't brag about it or drag the issue up later and start nagging and whining about it. There were several "heroes" in the books but Loghain wasn't one of them IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't hate Loghain... actually I believe that no matter what he did, everyone deserves a second chance. I mean, I wouldn't just give him a fistful of coins and send him off saying "you just used up your first chance, try not to do it again" ... but I think being forced to join the Grey Wardens and serve Ferelden to redeem himself is a much better option than executing him. More killing won't bring Duncan or Cailan back, it won't change what happened at Ostagar. And we need every man we can get -- Loghain may be a traitor but he's a brilliant general and a strong warrior. He'd be more use as a Warden than a dead martyr.

All that being said, I usually kill him anyway because the game won't let me spare him without losing Alistair. If there were a way to keep Loghain alive but not have him replace Alistair in your party, I'd be all over that.

To answer the original question ("why does everyone here say they kill Loghain every time?") ... I kill Loghain not because I hate him, but because the game forces you to choose between him and Alistair, and I simply like Alistair better. I take out my frustration with the situation by writing dumb fanfiction.