Why does everyone here seem and/or say they kill Loghain every time?

SpellAndShield

Hm...lets see, theres actually a list of goddamn reasons i would kill that worthless sack of rat crap. Put yourself in your character's shoes, in almost all of the beginnings Duncan saved you from death and in return all he asked was for you to fight the blight which would eventually destroy the entire world. Yes becoming a grey warden does require the ultimate sarcifice which is your life, but if u think about it if Duncan never showed up in the beginnings your character would either be dead or imprisoned. After that, the very next day the same tactician who everyone looked upon to make the difference between the numbers downright f*#@s everybody over for a selfish attempt at the throne and power, ok so king cailan is an idiot but its explained throughout the game that everyone knew cailan was an idiot and that loghain was the one pulling the strings, ostagar was the perfect defense aganist the blight, and with proper tactics the battle would've been won, its been explained throughout the game loghain COULD make the difference between numbers...yet what does he do? abandon all of the wardens, his own king, not to mention Cailan was the son of his best friend. You can make up whatever reasons, such as Loghain's excuse in game, but it doesnt change the fact that your character just lost his/her home 2 days ago, and loghain simply f**ked over your next home in less than a week after the first, thus making you and alistair the only wardens...which means you gotta go through all the bullcrap gathering an army, fighting an archdemon and a goddamn horde of darkspawns, AND on top of that he marks the wardens as tratiors apparently for leading the king into a failure battle(and here i thought the king was supposed to be giving commands...) and tries to f**king kill you every once in a while. Oh, not to mention if loghain sucessfully killed everyone at ostagar including alistair and your character he would've doomed ferelden since it was explained at endgame that unless a grey warden take the killing blow the archdemon's soul would simply transfer to a different body and live once again. If i were my character i would make it a personal quest to extract revenge upon loghain and see him suffer. Honestly they really should've added the option of torturing in DA. Then look it at from Alistair's perspective, he never got too in touch with his family, so Duncan and Arl Eamon was the next best thing this poor guy have, and everyone knows what happens after, loghain dicks over them both. Now to your character Alistair is a brother in arms, only he went through the same s**t you went through, could you really deny your close friend the revenge he deserves and have loghain take his place? could you really deny YOURSELF that revenge? (even though alistair does slack and let you make all the choices, but could you really be mad at that? if u didnt make the choices u'd have to follow his...and as far as i remember Alistair isnt too much of a scholar). So why the hell would you spare loghain? He almost doomed the continent for his personal gains, you know what lets not even talk about right and wrong because it aint even about that no more...its just a simple matter of revenge, he tried to stab u in the back so many times, and yet you would spare him and give him the honor of being a guardian? plz give me some of that you're smoking right now lol. In conclusion...F*** LOGHAIN, I've never seen one character that was more despicable. On top of that hes also a p***y, he tried to play it off in the end after you defeat him in a duel by saying oh yes now i know you're chosen one now...i see it now!! not when i tried to murder you countless times before, not when i doomed every other warden. Such a worthless pile of trash should not deserve to live. :mad:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE!! That is... Never mind the point is that that was not a miscalculation! That was pure hunger for power, and pure contempt for a king who did not follow his every whim!

And what is this "fell from grace" He flat out turned to the dark side of the force man! He went evil on our a~.... rumps.

Loghain loved his country more than anything and was willing to sacrifice almost everything to in sure it's survival. He was never in the race for power and served Maric till his death. Napoleon was the same, he want what was good for France and wanted the French to feel proud of who they are. Napoleon was also a skillful general with many victories under his belt (same as Loghain) but fell after the Russian campaign (just as Loghain fell at the Battle for Ferelden) and died in pain (Napoleon died from arsenic poisoning and Loghain was beheaded).

The point of comparing Napoleon to Loghain is to show that their failure is cause by miscalculation and that they were both respected by the common people. Napoleon failed and underestimated the Russians and the Russian weather which caused his failure and his downfall. Loghain in the other hand failed to understand the servility of the situation and thought that he could defeat the darkspawn just like any other army. Besides killing Loghain isn't going to make you better than him or change the events that transpired during his reign. It is not going to bring Duncan's beard or Calian back, you are just wasting pointless life, so sell him to the Wardens I say. Sell him!

Lol..really? Loghain did not love the country, anyone in his position would say so because it would gain him favor, if you were the leader of a group of people would you tell them that you hope they all die even if you really did? He loved power, and its been explained by the game so many times that he loves power. Napoleon f**ked up, Loghain f**ked over his supposedly good friend's son, and most of his army. If he truly loved his country he would've proposed for them to pull out if he thinks the battle would've been lost, and it probablly would've worked as I'm sure many people trusted Loghain alot more than Cailan at that point. He served Maric because it gave him a position of power, and it's been explained the only reason he did not betray maric was because of his father. He didn't fail to understand the severity of the blight, he simply wanted the glory of ending a blight for himself. You can even confirm the fact he is a deceiving backstabbing d**k by looking at Anora, his daughter...in my game I talked to Anora and convinced her and alistair to marry, she seemed more pleased with the situation than i would've expected by stating "i've spoken to alistair, perhaps this marriage wouldnt be so much of a nightmare" after. Then at the landsmeet she openly betrays me, calls me a traitor and all that, so like i said...the lying backstabbing d**k quality is in her, why? because she was raised by loghain. And his death would gain something, your own satisfaction...I just don't see how you can spare him because what he did to you should be taken on a personal level, not a matter of good or evil. A hero can't be completely good, look at what happend to Cailan, he was naive, and as far as im concerned he was considered "good" regardless of being a failure of a leader and a king, and he was betrayed by the same man who he thought had his back. Also, nobody in the game can be worse than Loghain, hes a depicable piece of s**t. He wasted countless "pointless" lives that he himself made pointless, the soldiers he betrayed could've made a difference at the final battle, but instead of convincing them to retreat he pulled out himself like a rat and fed an important army to the darkspawn...The past can't be changed but the future is made on top of the past, and that well deserved future would be Loghain's head on a stick. Honestly its not that im doubting he never considered any other options, but the fact that he never even attempted any other options or mentioned them that makes it all the worse.

Comparing Loghain and Napoleon is rather unintelligent anyways. Napoleon managed to conquer most of Europe and only miscalculated the cold weather of the Russian winter. Loghain pulled a little Benedict Arnold. I think in France Napoleon is still considered a hero. Not to mention he was the emperor and gained it much in the same way that Augustus Caesar did. I don't think there is any precedents in history where a general quit a field and let his king be killed then attempted to claim the thrown himself. If one does exist it would probably exist somewhere within the Roman Empire where generals who became emperors would often end up with another general succeeding them (Although typically through assassination)

*snip everything said till now*

Loghain did love his nation, you didn't read the books to find out did you Blade? And Lance both he and Napoleon had a lot in common despite their different circumstances and it is a rational choice too. Why you people must necro a dead thread to prove your point?

That is true of course. But then again you could probably say the same for any military leader that does rise to power. Napoleon is rather famous because his bid for European control (But did you know the Louisiana purchase which gave the US quite a big chunk of land from the french was done because of Napoleon?). Julius Caesar and then his adopted son Octavian (Augustus) also did something rather similar. I would actually go and compare Loghain to a well known Englishmen by the name of Oliver Cromwell. I think he's the only man in history to be known as a regicidal dictator. His family was at the bottom of the gentry level and he was a pretty good military commander. He of course wasn't exactly as low birthed as Loghain but he was thought of as a hero to the people and is rated very high in polls for top Britons. He effectively ruled the British isles with the title "Lord Protector", was one of the signers of the death sentence to King Charles.

Whatever, I already gave my opinion I don't need to rehash it all over again. Whoever brought this back would have been banned by the admins for necroposting this. Many people here are too tired to do repeats

• 4 weeks later...
I didn't read the books and really have no intentions of reading them for the simple reason I prefer to make up my own stories about details left out of the game. :P That said, I don't spare Loghain because of the facts presented in the game. As portrayed in the game, he was a power hungry traitor guilty of murdering not only the king and all but two of the Grey Wardens, but slews of others as well. *IF* he was so certain that there wasn't a snowball's chance in hello to end the blight there in Ostagar, then instead of setting the king, the king's army, knights from other places, and all of Fereldens' Grey Wardens up for slaughter, he should have flat out refused to have anything to do with it to begin with. Perhaps his flat out refusal would have given Cailin pause to rethink his actions. Instead, Loghain connived with the likes of Arl Howe in secret and blood mages in secret. He planned on quitting the field in the very beginning. He had Arl Eammon poisoned to ensure he didn't interfere with his plans. He allowed Arl Howe to take over Highever, torture nobles, and then sold elves into slavery. He also allowed Arl Howe to imprison his own daughter. The dude was seriously messed up and not only deserved his fate, he asked for it imo.

Yep I have only let him live once just to see what would happen. The things that decide it for me are betraying the king and trying to kill me (my character)....I was like "Heck no you don't get to live after trying to have me killed a bunch of times." I take that kind of thing personally. :down:

To be honest, I usually spare him. His character is MUCH more interesting than that of Alistair's imo.

How many of you prefer killing him?

My last play through I spared him and Alister left pissed off never to be seen again, I married Anora. Now this time through we'll have to wait and see what happens when I get there.<G> Most of the time I kill Loghain though. Still trying to get the Achivement badge for doing all the endings.

Most have missed the part of Anora having Alister killed I kind of like that idea there and might have to give that one a shot this time. Afer all I think he whines to much.<LOL>

I've left him alive once. Just to see. Alistair maybe a nitwit but he is a capable Templar and Warrior, and heir to the throne! No, Logain deserves to die, every time.

Weather you are playing as a friend to your companions or if you're an ass to everybody and doing evil, nasty things; I don't believe Logain has a redeeming quality. The Hero of River Dane title was lost when he abandoned his duty to his king and son-in-law and left him to die at the hands of the darkspawn, even if he was right that the battle was lost. He should have spear-headed his forces right to the King and gotten him the hell out of there.

Then, the SOB blames the Wardens. Not to mention - but I am going to anyway - poisoning Arl Eamon by hiring an apostate mage and putting the Templar in prison. Selling Elves into slavery and taking that no good, worthless, boot licking, nug-dung eating, piece of garbage, His Winnie-ness Arl Howe (the human noble origin is my fav) as his partner. No, no, no Logain must die. Always.