Final Fantasy

Ice_Dragon

Only 9 replies!!?? I would have thought a Final Fantasy thread would have been more popular than this.

A lot of people I know think FF9 is inferior to 7 & 8. But I highly disagree. It had some pretty decent characters, and I found the skill learning system to be a lot more satisfying than materia or GF's. The best aspect of 9 imo, was the music. I found final fantasy 9's soundtrack more compelling and breathtaking than any of Nobuo Uematsu's previous works. Melodies of Life is one of my all time favorite songs.

Is it a bit weird that I have the sountracks to every final fantasy game? Nobuo Uematsu is my favorite artist bar none.

WarKirby

WarKirby, did you load in the FFX battle music mod into Oblivion? I did. Love it.

I never experienced 9, but I've got 8, 10, & 10-2. Liked them all, actually. I would have very much liked to have seen a re-release of 8 with voiceovers and expanded cinematics.

I have to say, however, that the opening cinematic for The Witcher has blown FF cinematics out of the water, bar none.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, Final Fantasy^^. The 1st real RPG I ever played(Parasite Eve was the 1st unreal). I played and finished 7, 8, 9, X and X-2 and my Favourites are still 7 and X-2.

Part 7 is just so unique and imo gives more(secrets) than part 8 and 9 together.

Part 8 was so romantic, I liked that, but couldn't identify with any of the characters.

Part 9 was great, I played it 4 times in a row and bought the soundtrack, but doesn't offer many secrets imo... Also, my favourite character Beatrix is not playable(except for one or two scenes!!!

FFX was good, but I guess it's more a guys game, at least all I know who say it's best are guys(I wonder why).

FFX-2 on the other hand is propably more liked by girls and indeed, I really like it(even though it basically doesn't offer anything new(no, not even the dressspheres).

I've played 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, Tactics,(Tactics Advanced[GBA],) 8, X, X-2, 12.

8 is my all time favourite from the series, even if the junction & magic system was kind of crap, storyline was interesting and how the characters revolved around eachother was very interesting to see, altho honestly saying 50-70% of all the people who've played it, still don't understand it and I'm not one to begin explaining all of it. The card game was interesting and collecting all of the character+GF cards is a nice time consuming challenge. Squaresoft mucked up when they released a separate device for getting Mog & Chocobo GF:s/training them, the 'addon' never made it out of Japan.

6(or 3 as 'mistranslated' in the US) was interesting to play through, had a good story although admittedly the player could feel kind of lost at some parts of the game, still had the oldskool graphics, although not as oldskool as 1-4.

7 was the game that made the final breakthrough for the game into the game community and ensured it's place here. It left the gaming community with the most hated nemesis of all time, Sephiroth. Had a few good challenging fights, but with the correct materia setups, the game could be played through while sleeping. Chocobo breeding was an interesting idea and it did give a nice challenge.

The story of X & X-2 was quite good, altho getting X-2 100% complete was a major pain in the ass(Feel free to go and learn all the skills for gun mage, on all three characters, not to even speak of the rest that needs to be done.). Secret & perfect ending of X-2 were really good. X was really interesting and defeating the Dark Aeons+Penance was fun along with Blitzball and Monster Arena taking a lot of my free time.

12 was good otherwise, but the ending sucked imo, combat system was really good in it and has lots of fights that actually require strategies to win, instead of spamming same spells/skills/auto-attack.

I really need to pick up the good old 1-3 I have and play them through again. Even if the games are really old and graphics outdated, nothing beats the feeling of nostalgy.

FFTactics had the most interesting storyline of ALL the FF games so far, great character design, lots of detail and time put into the story and plots, that you might not even see if you're not paying attention.

FFTAdvanced was/is somewhat childish with it's actual story, although it does have some matters 'discussed' inside that are real problems in our society, when games are used as an escape of the real world, be it due to domestic violence/due to being neglected/refusal to deal with the reality etc. This game has the most obvious pointers to real life problems from the game series, although all of the games have more or less of them, hidden in the background.

P.S. Yes, purposely being very vague about everything I may mention about the storylines. I don't do spoilers. Also these are only my own opinions. :sweat:

• 2 weeks later...

I've played 1,4,6,7,8,X,X-2 and just recetly got 12. I've only actully finished 8, X and X-2.

Must favourite is also FF8 cos of the juction system. Next favouraite is FF7 again for the combat system. But these to are really my favourites for their sort of Sci-Fantasy themes.

FFX had the most compelling storyline in my opinion.

It was nice to go back to the more fast paced ATB syystem in X-2 but the whole dress system could have gone better. There were so many fun Final fantasy gameplay elements that the system excluded. Eg. There were no "overdrives" or "limit breaks" cos they would have had to make a different one for every character in every dress sphere. The special dress spheres were cool I guess but they were a pain to bring out if you needed them. And gettin 100% takes some real dedication!

I'm still trying to get used the FF12 system. I keep feeling like I'm playing a D&D game like Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Nights and not Final Fantasy. It's strange having the fighting so unstructured and automatic. Apart from the boss fights it's rather easy to set your characters up to handle whatever situation. And since you can easily see what you're gonna fight you can just switch to the characters with the right gambit set up for that enemy then just select attack and sit back and watch. I don't feel as involved anymore. It's almost like I'm watching a movie.

Again they forfeited cool aspects of the game when they chose the unstructured MMO type design. Alot of the cool animations are now gone cos everyone is just all over the place. But I better get used to it since Square is known to revamp the game formula every time so this won't be the last change we see.

FF13 looks like it'll be amazing. Can't wait, but I better hurry up and finish FF12 before it comes!

• 4 weeks later...

The only console I still own is my SNES, and FFII and FFIII are the only two games I still play on it.

Hell I played FFIII for about 3 hours just the other night. Scary to think that I've been enjoying that game for close to 15 years now :X

Played through FF7 several times and it really was a great game, but the characters just didn't immerse me the same way that FFII and FFIII did. I played FF8 for probably 30 minutes and I just didn't get into it. I haven't touched a FF RPG since :\

Well I only got into final fantasy when a friend told me that final fantasy is almost just like breath of fire which was a series I loved. I've played FF7 FF8 FF9 FF10 FF10-2 FF12

My all time favorite was FF10. Loved it more than any other game i've ever played. First time I played it, I was so hooked, and so addicted to it that I actually played it about 16 hours a day and finished it on the 4th day. I was so moved by how amazing the story was, loved the way how unexpected twists happened in the game (most people probly wouldn't think it were that good, but just something about the way it was that made me love it). And when you find out a little something when you leave the Al-bhed home, that was when I just couldn't think about anything else but this game and just had to play it until I finished it. Also loved the ending, I still can't beleive it made me cry the first time I seen it. No movie or game has ever done that, and probly never will again. Ha! sounds like i'm obessed with FF10, which I probably am :D

FF8 was my second favourite, also got completely hooked to that game aswell. It was the first final fantasy i've ever played too. I know I really loved that game a LOT, but I just can't seem to remember much of it anymore :unsure: .

FF9 was my 3rd favourite, I ALSO got really hooked to this game aswell :D. I havn't played it in 5 years now, but I still remember a bit of it. It had a very good story to it, and some good twists aswell but it just seemed very easy. Somewhere not too far from the start, there was an area that lead up to where dragons were. I figured that I would use a reflect spell against them and actually managed to kill them quite easily. I kept doing this until I was something like level 60, which was kinda like cheating, and I bet the developers didn't even know they left this flaw behind when they released the game.

FFX-2 was my 4th favourite. It wasn't anywhere as good as I hoped, but it was still a good game. The way how the story was all mission based was pretty interesting, and I liked the dresspheres system and the way they changed blitzball too. The story was okay, but a bit lacking. The rest of the game was very good though.

FF7 started out pretty good, got a bit hooked for a while. But for some reason, not long after airis (I think I forgot her name) died, I just lost interest. I just didn't really feel like playing anymore :confused:. It wasn't because she died though, I normaly love it when unexpected things like that happens.

And FF12. The new battle system was intesting, but personally, I would prefer a turn based system like the previous games. I was a bit disapointed with this game, I had high hopes for it after waiting a whole year after hearing about it. The actual story itself wasn't really a whole lot interesting, but I still kept playing anyway. After I got to something like the 80th floor in some tower that I can't remember the name of (you get there by flying your personal airship, ad I don't think it's very far from the end either) I just saved the game a year ago and havn't played since. I really hope FF13 is going to be good, but it just seems a lot like FF12 from what i've seen.

• 3 weeks later...
I've played them all from Final Fantasy I to X. Nine is my favourite but I think the best is 7, overall. I really liked the ending of IX, the only ending that really satisfied me and I also liked the setting, it was kind of retro. I still remember some of the lines said my Zidane in the ending..."As the sun lends me no ear, I pray instead to the twin moons. I beseech thee, wondrous moonlight. Bring my beloved Dagger[or whatever name you gave to Garnet] to me!" That was a great dose of Shakespearean English.

Final Fantasy wow! um where to begin? well many of them have great storylines but some of them just didn't cut it.

My personal favourites were FF9 - fantastic story

FF8 - Great but lacked a couple of things.

FFX - enjoyed it alot one of my fav.

FFX-2 Not the best was ok but i didn't like it.