Modders and "it's for private use only"

Moire

I'm sure you have seen a screenshot of something that you thought looked really awesome. You asked the creator where he got it and get the answer "it's for private use only". I'm not really that picky about armors since we have so many to choose from now and we can't really demand anything from people who have put a lot of work into it. But the thing is, I can't see the point in releasing a mod and make screenshots of things that you want to keep to yourself. It's like holding a freshly baked chocolate cake in front of someone and then snap it back saying "Haha, it's for me only". Faces I can understand. You can create your own face and I wouldn't want anyone to soil my character with their perverted playstyle. I can also understand if it's copied from a game, in which case it's illegal to share. But a piece of clothing or a hairstyle doesn't do much use gathering dust on your hardrive.

Simply don't temp people with juicy screens if you don't want to get these annoying questions all the time or just upload it and hope that you get positive feedback. We won't miss things that we don't know about ;)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with it. They're not offering it to you. They're just showing it. If you are envious, then that's on you.

But yes, I agree that if they post something juicy like that, then they should expect questions about it.

Pictures are just pictures, you don't come asking a person to drive his nice car if you see it's picture uploaded somewhere, no? And, unlike a car, for mods, private or not, part the point of making them is lost without sharing pictures.

Besides, those "private" mods are sometimes available for people who put some effort into search - as "not uploaded on most popular sites" doesn't mean "unavailable". So, I don't see a point in complaining here.

any mod that uses meshes imported from other games cannot be released to the public

so anybody using such a "private" mod should be prohibited from posting screenshots

Now SERIOUSLY consider what is wrong with this position.

But the thing is, I can't see the point in releasing a mod and make screenshots of things that you want to keep to yourself. It's like holding a freshly baked chocolate cake in front of someone and then snap it back saying "Haha, it's for me only". Faces I can understand.

To begin with. There is no cake with your name on it.

Well in some cases what "private mod " actually means is "a mod I found while browsing a website whose language I don't read and therefore don't actually know what the permission status actually is". But "private mod" sounds so much more exclusive and flattering to the ego, don't you think? ;) And as Sarya mentioned, with a little perseverance, many of those so called "private mods" can be found.

Snark aside, some mods genuinely are private - the reasons for that are many, but some common ones are: the mod in question is in a pre-beta state: the mod in question is a mashup the screenshooter made with no intention of publicly sharing due to permission issues, or due to not having the time/energy to support a public release. Or yeah, the mod is a gamerip- in that case, really, you're likely not missing anything, since they often only look good in edited screenshots and rarely pass muster for actually playing the game.

But the bottom line is, you simply cannot have everything you see, that's just how it goes and you'll live. Lose that sense of entitlement and console yourself with the amazing content that so many kind modders share freely, and don't take it for granted, rather than focus on the few things you see that seem to be out of reach.

Two cents added.

Private is private. Most of the people create mods and provide them as they choose to share them, 'usually' (I know a few exceptions) people don't create mods out of the essence of releasing them..creating it is enough.. It's the fun of creating it and for some to show-off. With all kinds of people abusing mods, claiming them, uploading them elsewhere without asking etcetc. Or simply the huge amount of complaints as people don't read the readme or instructions that are included...it's understandable that some don't even release a thing at all. Every modder I know has a set of 'unreleased' mods and that could be in that state for a lot of reasons. Either it's incompatible with every other mod, it's not finished, it's a rip, it's highly edited, it's based off a mod that may not be redistributed, it's only usable for 5% of the PCs, it's in a foreign language (/can't be redistributed.). etc.etc.

The reason why most say it's private is to keep off people asking for it as they are unable or unwilling to share it. Otherwise you'd get 10 comments asking for the things shown on the image instead of comments on the style/image in general. Saying to let others hide their things you cannot posses right now...well, that's the same for life. You'd have to shut your eyes, close all windows and stay inside!

Lol I can picture someone with their back turned sneaking bites of cake secretly while right in front of you :biggrin: reminds me of that Tom and Jerry when Tom was looking in his hand and laughing and when Jerry would come near by he would quickly turn away. lol

I'm sure you have seen a screenshot of something that you thought looked really awesome. You asked the creator where he got it and get the answer "it's for private use only". I'm not really that picky about armors since we have so many to choose from now and we can't really demand anything from people who have put a lot of work into it. But the thing is, I can't see the point in releasing a mod and make screenshots of things that you want to keep to yourself. It's like holding a freshly baked chocolate cake in front of someone and then snap it back saying "Haha, it's for me only". Faces I can understand. You can create your own face and I wouldn't want anyone to soil my character with their perverted playstyle. I can also understand if it's copied from a game, in which case it's illegal to share. But a piece of clothing or a hairstyle doesn't do much use gathering dust on your hardrive.

Simply don't temp people with juicy screens if you don't want to get these annoying questions all the time or just upload it and hope that you get positive feedback. We won't miss things that we don't know about ;)

You could always download Blender and Gimp and Nifskope, learn to use them, and attempt to recreate what you've seen.