What makes a truly brilliant game, brilliant?

Vindekarr

Well, some games have worthwile tome commitment.

EVE online is a truly superb mmo, but it requires even more time commitment than other less radical mmo's. But to be honest, having played EVE for several months, I actualy like that. The people in game actualy have the time to chat, work with you, and fight, and its extreme complexity keeps out the abusive fools that caused me to quit champions online and move to EVE.

To get good at EVE, you'll frequently be researching it online, comparing data with allies, practicing group work and slowly building up an armada. But thats whats so good about it. Yes, it takes many many hours to get good, but damn, when you finaly do get good, its one of the most deeply enjoyable and satisfying games Ive ever had the pleasure of playing.

Now, not all games are "time investments" that repay the slow early sections with timeless fun later. But a few really wonderful games like BorderLands, EVE, Dawn Of War II and Medieval: total war are worth sinking 100+ hours into, because they really deliver.

As for you nexus, I partialy agree, zombies are very very fun to kill, you can do horrible things to them without any moral constraints. A really good zombie is a really good game, full stop. But it can be done wrong, look at left 4 dead for example...

That said, I tried out a (very well made) zombie apocalypse mod for oblivion a while ago and it was one of the funniest good times Ive had in gaming for a long time, especialy when I used a second mod to zombify myself to join in.

I've heard all this EVE Online stuff and I think I need to pick it up when I'm tired of modding. That won't be for a while.

Yes, zombies are the perfect horde-style creatures. They're humanoid, so you know where their weak points are. There's a reason for there to be a lot, so you can kill thousands and millions remain. And they're heartless monsters you can shoot with no remorse.

Exactly, all the fun of Tyranids with none of the copyright issues. More fun to kill too because they can exist in almost any universe, meaning they can be fought in almost any conceivable way, from a laser rifle to a lawn mower.

I'd say many sparkling effects, wrong gamma configuration... as faraway options comes the gameplay, story excellency and fun factor :whistling: