Who do you consider the greatest Skyrim modder? Have you heard of Trainwiz?

Qwesar

I love the work of a whole heap of modders, but my favorite has to be Kris Takahashi, simply by virtue that he's the creator of my favorite mod. He'd be the first person to say he's not a great technical modder (although he's come a long way in three years), but what he does happens to align quite nicely with what I value highly in a game, so he's my favorite.

I won't name any other particular names, 'cause then I'd accidentally leave some out, but I appreciate the work of mod makers in general, and this is as good a time as any to say thank you. No matter what your personal motivation for modding, you've spent a ton of time making something that makes the game better, more interesting, and/or more fun for me and thousands of other players, you've done it for free, and that is an awesome thing that I don't think most of us ever truly wrap our minds around. This community, and the great communities for games like Thief, add immeasurably to the longevity and enjoyment I derive from games. Considering how important games are to me, that's no small thing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, I think that Falskaar is overrated. I'm probably one of the very few. Do I doubt the amount of work that has been put into it? Of course not.

Is the quality great? It sure as hell is. But I do not praise it like many other users because it seems quite boring to me. But kudos to Alexander to making a mod start his professional career

Count me among those very few as well. I got a lot of flack when I shared similar thoughts on Falskaar on its mod page a while back. Why people have to get so vicious over their favourite mods is beyond me. I think RLO is far better than ELFX and/or CoT, but I'm not going to call someone names or insult their upbringing if they disagree.

Glad my mods never had enough popularity for him to attack them while he was still here. Sounds like he probably deserved the ban.

So what if he was to attack your mods. He attacked my follower mod for months and now look at her. This was a blog post just today from him (not concerning me). What a lovely guy: http://trainwiz.tumblr.com/tagged/I-mean-I%27ve-played-some-real-s#*!-in-my-time-but-that-mod-was-just-awful-even-for-an-alpha You only have to look at the link address to know what you're in for. What is it he is known for again anyway, Thomas the Tank Engine dragons and raining trains from the sky was it? Revolutionary stuff. It has totally changed the way I play Skyrim. *sarcasm*

For example, I think that Falskaar is overrated. I'm probably one of the very few. Do I doubt the amount of work that has been put into it? Of course not.

Is the quality great? It sure as hell is. But I do not praise it like many other users because it seems quite boring to me. But kudos to Alexander to making a mod start his professional career

Count me among those very few as well. I got a lot of flack when I shared similar thoughts on Falskaar on its mod page a while back. Why people have to get so vicious over their favourite mods is beyond me. I think RLO is far better than ELFX and/or CoT, but I'm not going to call someone names or insult their upbringing if they disagree.

Some might begrudge you your opinion. Personally, I think you're entitled to it, but I don't think his mod page was the right place to share those thoughts. That's kinda like showing up to a Star Trek convention just so you can tell everybody how much you hate Star Trek.

Some might begrudge you your opinion. Personally, I think you're entitled to it, but I don't think his mod page was the right place to share those thoughts. That's kinda like showing up to a Star Trek convention just so you can tell everybody how much you hate Star Trek.

It is absolutely not like that!

The comments section is not only for praise and congradulations but also for....

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

Authors cannot improve mods if they do not know what is lacking in them.

Its is the exactly right place to voice opinions of quality over aspects of a mod. That's not to say its a place to say "This sucks" but to say "Hey you've got a big patch of empty flat space over here kinda looks artificial..."

I reject the notion that comments sections are not a place for opinions sir. It is more akin to going to the star trek convention and saying the tribbles were not as great a concept as they could have been.

Who actually is 'Trainwiz'? Name sounds familiar, but I don't recall. Yes I know I have been here for over 9 years and should know all top modders....whoever it is should not be slagging off other modders. Not cool.

Personal favorite modder, far too many to mention in one post, but one in particular does come to mind..... Korana. She outright made the most incredible house mods ever made, period. Not just eye candy house mods, but house mods with a plethora of scripted interactivity, exterior homes and so much more. There is literally nothing done today in house mods that she hadn't already done and then some. (Well, except for one feature in my own Oblivion mods that had never been done before where I took something she had done, further.)

I should know, I downloaded and looked through literally thousands of house mods when I was running my Oblivion's Real Estate and Skyrim Real Estate house mod websites. Korana's work has never been surpassed imho and it inspired sooo many house modders, myself included.

Edit, oops 'Skyrim' modders. lol Arthmoor has my vote for that one and the multitude of brilliant resource makers like in particular Jokerine who very kindly made an awesome resource for my town.

Edited by Guest

What is it he is known for again anyway, Thomas the Tank Engine dragons and raining trains from the sky was it? Revolutionary stuff. It has totally changed the way I play Skyrim. *sarcasm*

Oh, just some of the best, largest, and most intriguing quest mods for Skyrim and Morrowind and a few followers as well. Given your amazing credentials I can see why you wouldn't be familiar with them.

I realize the main theme here is talk about "Trainwiz", which I haven't met so I won't comment on that.

I think it's pretty hard to comment on "who I consider to be the greatest skyrim modder" .... that's like asking what's my favorite food or what's my favorite band.... I don't have A favorite modder, or A favorite food.

There are several Modders I deeply admire. From the top of my head comes Chesko, Gulogulo, isoku, Orgerboss and Hothtrooper. I say that because anyone can tell from light years away these people put a ton of work into their mods.... and if these 5 people weren't providing their mods to the community I would have stopped playing Skyrim long ago.

But I can't say "Chesko is better than Hothtrooper" they are in completely different fields... it's impossible to compare.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had issues with Trainwiz's public trolling of mods. Who does he think he is? Because he doesn't like my mod he seems to think no one else should and tries to get his band of followers together to hate on it on blogs, forums, youtube also using the alias Pastaspace or whatever. Still I'm glad that my mod has gone on to do so well just because he seems pretty p*ssed off about not having that level of control over people. He really does think he's something special but there are mods just as good as his and with modders much more humble and modest about their work. He deserves no special treatment and should be banned for his trolling like anyone else.

Anyway I can't think off the top of my head but any of the modders who create huge quest mods that have had months of work put in and do it just for the fun of it and not for the recognition get my vote.

Edit: Haha I just saw this on one of his mod pages. Such modesty.

if I forgot to credit you, bug reports, want to rage at me because I'm way better than you, then feel free to contact me

Glad my mods never had enough popularity for him to attack them while he was still here. Sounds like he probably deserved the ban.

I just want to post this as someone who knows and speaks with Trainwiz daily: (was going to be a Nexus regular, but I messed up with creating my mods and lost all motivation due to knowing so little. I might start again soon and make bunch of simple stuff though).

He wouldn't make fun of your mod if it's good and popular in his opinion, but only if it's popular with what he considers unwarranted popularity; of course with the board he and I frequent: such behaviour doesn't matter because everyone talks like Trainwiz and it's just accepted as regular banter, no one gets their feelings hurt there because it's just part of the norm. I understand that Nexus has different userbase and mentality and as such when he talks normally... people simply take it as him just hating others obnoxiously as opposed to joking around or being blunt. That said, yeah he can be a bit of a jerk sometimes... but he's also been very helpful and gone out of his way many times to help many up and coming modders who exist outside of Nexus... so I think that he's like that harsh father or teacher that acts cold, but is actually very kind once you get past his layer of onions.

As far as his "legion of followers", it's just some friends of his from the chat he frequents thinking to have fun by messing with people simply because they are easy to get a response out of. I don't really like or support it, but I doubt they'll stop simply because they like to get a response out of others as opposed to doing this simply because Trainwiz. They've had plenty of fun without Trainwiz with certain other modders some years back on both this and other nexuses.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion of him with this post, but just wanted to share my side of the view. If you have any questions, I don't mind responding right now and after my afternoon computer classes. Thank you for reading.

I wanna believe you 'something awful', really I do. Just don't think it is right to mess with people just to upset them, no excuse for that. But it is nice that you came to put another perspective on the modder in question. I am sure he is a very nice person generally, unfortunately he certainly isn't showing it by bashing other modders.

Edited by Guest

Greatest modder around? I'll have to go with Trainwiz, I don't think anyone can constantly produce quality mods that are absolutely immersive, non-handholding, not to mention lore-friendly to the overall lore of the Elder Scrolls universe.

Now about Trainwiz the character. Trainwiz himself lives in the real world where people do act like he does, people are cold in the real world, they crack rude jokes etc its a fact of life. I myself frequent the places where Trainwiz himself frequents and its attitude is a far cry from how the nexus goes on with its day, nobody is hurt over anything for its part of the norm there.

Now he doesn't just go out of his way to mock people for entertainment or whatever reason you could come up with. If something is well made and popular he wont go out of his way to make fun of such things but if it has in his opinion unwarranted attention he'll go out of his way like a critic and do as a harsh critic does. To say Trainwiz is always a harsh and cold person day in and out would be wrong for there are time where he is a harsh and cold person and there are times where he has helped countless people outside of the nexus modding community and yes there is a modding community outside the nexus.

In my own opinion Trainwiz maybe a cold person but hes quite the likable fellow once you get to know him. Figured I'd give another side to this one sided argument.

P.S.

About the "Legion of Followers". They're just his friends from the chat he frequents, quite a few of which share or have similar opinions as he does. They'll do as they do with or without Trainwiz, making him a boogyman for the actions of many others doesn't really make sense.