Imperial or Metric system?

Retribution

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent years working in the UK building trade, so that piece of timber is 2 metres & 6 inches long :biggrin:

Well, that are four cubits according to the prophet Ezekiel - much easier to remember, eh? ^^

Forget what once you've learned and start with the metric system, it simplifies the communication, really.

I use either, what ticks me off is when the EU rules result in the prosecution of greengrocers who insist on selling their apples in pounds and ounces because that's what the customers want. And the latest insanity about having to buy eggs by the gramme rather than by the unit, ie egg.

I use either, what ticks me off is when the EU rules result in the prosecution of greengrocers who insist on selling their apples in pounds and ounces because that's what the customers want. And the latest insanity about having to buy eggs by the gramme rather than by the unit, ie egg.

Eggs are sold by unit and grade (even in Jack London's novels) - dunno what strange kind of fowls you have out there ^^

*Sigh* the same chickens as everyone else , various different breeds. The issue objected to is the fact that there is some crazy EU proposal that eggs be sold by the gramme rather than by the egg. So instead of going to buy a dozen or a half dozen eggs, we'll have to buy however many grammes. Which is a pain in the derriere when your recipe calls for "four eggs" or whatever. I do like baking cakes and pastries and making omelettes and I would like to defend the Great British Egg against metric tyranny.

(Great British irony in action btw...)

They really trying to do away with counting eggs by the dozen!!! :blink:

I grew up learning Imperial, then had to switch to Metric about half way through school ( and i'm a Brit ), so I am used to both. The metric system is by far the best for measuring the length of a unit, but the Imperial system wins hands down for measuring ingredients in cooking ( and I still ask for my potatoes, apples and tomatoes by the ounce and pound at the grocers ).

Spent years working in the UK building trade, so that piece of timber is 2 metres & 6 inches long :biggrin:

Are you the bloke that built our extension? :biggrin:

Are you the bloke that built our extension? :biggrin:

Blimey, is that thing still standing, I'll have to charge you extra :biggrin: