Voicing Followers

Deleted2628341User

Hello fellow mod authors. I am looking to create a new, unique follower mod that would include custom voice acting. I plan on voicing the character myself, however I was wondering if anyone who's already done it could provide a sample of the dialogue script(s) they used so I can get an idea for format?

I know that seems silly that I'm not sure how to write my own dialogue, but it is a first, and I'd like to write in a way where if I needed to, I could have someone else do the voice-acting, or even something for a potential future project.

Thanks!

Here look in this to know how to make a custom voice one http://deck16.net/post/22645519500/making-a-unique-voiced-follower-in-skyrim-part-1 you can test the follower unvoiced in game if you have fus rah dao oh (the Skyrim script extender plugin.) if better control, I would say also try to learn hoe to make a basic quest. It will tech you more about dialogue

Well essentially you want to create your characters personality, then go through the dialogue topics available and create dialogue for each.

Here's an example of a follower that's very grumpy (quite a simple personality but you can flesh it out):

Come with me topic (when the player comes back and tells them to follow after they've been waiting):

- About time. I've been falling asleep here.

- What took you so long?

- Fine. Let's go.

- I don't really like hanging out in Draugr tombs - taverns are more my style. Let's get out of here. (If follower in tomb)

Wait here topic:

- Alright. But don't take long.

- Don't you dare leave me here for days!

- Hmmph. Didn't even leave me with a bottle of mead.

- Whatever.

Follow me topic:

- I'm coming, I'm coming. Stop rushing me.

- Yeah, I'm right behind you. As unpleasant as that is.

- Why do you always find me when I'm trying to have a drink?

Carry skmething topic:

- I'm not your donkey.

- Find a packhorse to carry your stuff!

- Why am I the one who has to hold all this?

- I'm only doing this because I have to.

Do something topic:

(Can't do)

- How about... No.

- Yeah, that's not going to happen.

- Hmmph. I won't do that.

- I don't think so.

(Can do)

- Fine.

- Ugh. Why not, I guess.

- I'm doing it, stop rushing me!

- I don't know why you can't do this yourself...

Hellos:

- Huh. What a displeasure to see you.

- What do you want this time?

- Got any ale for me?

- Yeah?

- Hmmph.

Goodbyes:

- Finally.

- Huh.

- No mead then?

As you can see, you'll want to have some phrases with lots of conditions, and always a few generic random phrases underneath everything.

Just have fun with it. I went for the most crazy follower dialogue ever and you could say it worked out very well. Really I just started off with random one liners that turned into silly innuendos and crazy insults and tales of trolling the locals. The point is that is was incredibly fun to write and everyone else was going for the more serious characters. Why have a follower that tells you what a lovely day it is when you can have one that tells you to stop staring at her boobs, comes up with ridiculous theories about the khajiits ancestry and silly questions about naked ghosts and who shouts abuse at Nazeem :D I mean my character is just... I don't even know to be honest, but the point is I just had fun with it and developed the character as I was going along.

You can find a huge amount of dialogue update videos for Sofia here with a large number of the lines: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX7_yJ1z3f--jOUc7-wua6DoBwPkCQsKI

It still only covers a small percentage of what's in the mod. Wow it certainly makes me realise just how many lines there are for her. The third video is the basic follower trade, follow, dismiss etc. and the other videos are fairly self explanatory.

Thanks for the input. Honestly the main reason I'm asking here is because I know there are custom voiced followers out there that have hundreds, even thousands of lines of dialogue so my main concern is keeping everything organized. I do have the deck16 site bookmarked as I found that on Google, and I only kind of skimmed through it all because at the moment I don't have everything I need, time included.

Thanks for the input. Honestly the main reason I'm asking here is because I know there are custom voiced followers out there that have hundreds, even thousands of lines of dialogue so my main concern is keeping everything organized. I do have the deck16 site bookmarked as I found that on Google, and I only kind of skimmed through it all because at the moment I don't have everything I need, time included.

It easy to keep them organized. I have made a folder, in that folder I have a text files for everything. One for combat, one for idle and another for places etc.

Add new lines every now and then. It doesn't have to 500 lines at first version. Take you time.

In Deck16's tutorial, he mentions breaking your dialogue into separate quests for better organisation. This was something I completely ignored, only to later regret... Of course, it depends on how much you want to write. Start small and see if inspiration grabs you.

Do read Deck 16 tutorial fully,..even the comments!

Good luck

Well essentially you want to create your characters personality, then go through the dialogue topics available and create dialogue for each.

Here's an example of a follower that's very grumpy (quite a simple personality but you can flesh it out):

Come with me topic (when the player comes back and tells them to follow after they've been waiting):

- What took you so long?

- Fine. Let's go.

- I don't really like hanging out in Draugr tombs - taverns are more my style. Let's get out of here. (If follower in tomb)

Wait here topic:

- Whatever.

Follow me topic:

Carry skmething topic:

- I'm not your donkey.

Do something topic:

(Can't do)

- How about... No.

- I don't think so.

(Can do)

- Fine.

- Ugh. Why not, I guess.

Hellos:

- Got any ale for me?

- Yeah?

- Hmmph.

Goodbyes:

- Finally.

- Huh.

- No mead then?

As you can see, you'll want to have some phrases with lots of conditions, and always a few generic random phrases underneath everything.

Hi! I hope you don't mind if I used these lines as a script so that I could put together some voice acting samples!

They were exactly what I was looking for, so I hope you're alright with it!

I'll

- What took you so long?

- Fine. Let's go.

Wait here topic:

- Whatever.

Follow me topic:

Carry skmething topic:

- I'm not your donkey.

Do something topic:

(Can't do)

- How about... No.

- I don't think so.

(Can do)

- Fine.

- Ugh. Why not, I guess.

Hellos:

- Got any ale for me?

- Yeah?

- Hmmph.

Goodbyes:

- Finally.

- Huh.

- No mead then?

Hi! I hope you don't mind if I used these lines as a script so that I could put together some voice acting samples!

They were exactly what I was looking for, so I hope you're alright with it!

That's absolutely fine.