Beginners guide to modding

gromulos

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey gromulos- now I'm following your guide only and it's going much better. The only thing that I'm still having a hard time is armor replacement. These are the mods that once I install I start getting CTD's (keep in mind I'm *always* testing with new save games).

Essentially, I'm trying to have Immersive Armors for males, and UNP Armor Replacer Package for females--which body is UNPB HDT (just default, no BodySlide customization). So, I guess I'll need to convert these armors from UNP to UNPB and make sure they support HDT?

Since that could go off-topic, feel free to point me out to another guide or thread that you think would be a good starting point for me. Thanks

Hi, sorry fairly new to modding here, but I really need some help. I have NMM and Loot as well as Tes5edit installed. When I added my new plugins in NMM, Loot isn't showing any of them. I have them downloaded and installed. All programs are the newest versions. And my file directories for NMM is G:\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim, but when I open file there is nothing there? Mod directory is G:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods, and G:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info, but again there is nothing in the Skyrim folder? Ive updated master list several times with no results, and also ran both Loot and NMM as admin. TIA

Hey gromulos- now I'm following your guide only and it's going much better. The only thing that I'm still having a hard time is armor replacement. These are the mods that once I install I start getting CTD's (keep in mind I'm *always* testing with new save games).

Essentially, I'm trying to have Immersive Armors for males, and UNP Armor Replacer Package for females--which body is UNPB HDT (just default, no BodySlide customization). So, I guess I'll need to convert these armors from UNP to UNPB and make sure they support HDT?

Since that could go off-topic, feel free to point me out to another guide or thread that you think would be a good starting point for me. Thanks

You really shouldn't need the UNP Armor Replacer Package for females while using Immersive Armors by Hrothtropper. But, if you insist on using it, you are right about converting them from UNP to UNPB and supporting HDT.

I really don't feel comfortable linking a guide for you as I am just learning these topics myself. Converting old Skyrim mods to Skyrim Special Edition has taught me a lot. Please remember that this guide is SUPPOSED to be about beginner stuff, what you're talking about above is not something a beginner would be doing.

Hi, sorry fairly new to modding here, but I really need some help. I have NMM and Loot as well as Tes5edit installed. When I added my new plugins in NMM, Loot isn't showing any of them. I have them downloaded and installed. All programs are the newest versions. And my file directories for NMM is G:\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim, but when I open file there is nothing there? Mod directory is G:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods, and G:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info, but again there is nothing in the Skyrim folder? Ive updated master list several times with no results, and also ran both Loot and NMM as admin. TIA

verify your files through steam AND re-install NMM after you do that

You really shouldn't need the UNP Armor Replacer Package for females while using Immersive Armors by Hrothtropper. But, if you insist on using it, you are right about converting them from UNP to UNPB and supporting HDT.

I really don't feel comfortable linking a guide for you as I am just learning these topics myself. Converting old Skyrim mods to Skyrim Special Edition has taught me a lot. Please remember that this guide is SUPPOSED to be about beginner stuff, what you're talking about above is not something a beginner would be doing.

That sounds good, thanks again- you've been very helpful. Please allow me to ask you a couple last questions before I move onto a more specific thread.

Why shouldn't I need both? Is there an option for Immersive Armors to look like the other one on females? E.g. similar to cross crusade or remodeled armors?

Also, if I switch body to UNP, would it simplify the process so I don't need to convert anything? Lastly, how about HDT in that case?

That sounds good, thanks again- you've been very helpful. Please allow me to ask you a couple last questions before I move onto a more specific thread.

Why shouldn't I need both? Is there an option for Immersive Armors to look like the other one on females? E.g. similar to cross crusade or remodeled armors?

Also, if I switch body to UNP, would it simplify the process so I don't need to convert anything? Lastly, how about HDT in that case?

Once again, this is a BEGINNER's guide, I am not going to continue to answer those questions. If you had READ the entire guide you would have seen that there are 2 other guides linked at the bottom, 1 intermediate, and 1 for advanced. Go check those out.

Once again, this is a BEGINNER's guide, I am not going to continue to answer those questions. If you had READ the entire guide you would have seen that there are 2 other guides linked at the bottom, 1 intermediate, and 1 for advanced. Go check those out.

You're making a bad assumption gromulos in saying that I didn't read your guide entirely, especially in a childish tone like that using caps lock to emphasize the obvious. It sounds rather inappropriate for someone that is "willing" to help.

In fact, I did read your guide entirely and it's rather confusing as it contradicts what experienced mod developers say in other threads.

Thanks for trying anyway, I still appreciate your good intentions.

You're making a bad assumption gromulos in saying that I didn't read your guide entirely, especially in a childish tone like that using caps lock to emphasize the obvious. It sounds rather inappropriate for someone that is "willing" to help.

In fact, I did read your guide entirely and it's rather confusing as it contradicts what experienced mod developers say in other threads.

Thanks for trying anyway, I still appreciate your good intentions.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't mind helping. But at this point because of what you have learned, you're really not considered a beginner now, specially considering the fact that you're starting to branch out into more areas that require more skill. I apologize if i sounded short, or if it sounded like I was being facetious.

BTW: That's 1 problem many people do / have, they try to follow multiple guides. The problem with that is not all guides are going to use the same programs, my guide has been tried and trued by MANY people. My guide is set up to get the beginner use to using the programs and installing mods correctly. Once anyone is done with my guide, THEN it's time for them to move on to the intermediate one or even the STEP guide. I have nothing against other guides as long as those guides do not give out incorrect information. That's the main reason why I have the intermediate and advanced guides linked in my thread, the advanced guide by Grandbulwark is basically the last step needed although you could use STEP in it's place if you so chose.

As for the cleaning vanilla masters files I have come to the conclusion that YES the DLC's should be cleaned, but even though many sources say to clean the Update.esm, I suggest that you DO NOT. The Update.esm is an extension of the Skyrim.esm and I honestly don't know of a single source that says to clean the Skyrim.esm, in fact, EVERY person who has cleaned the Skyrim.esm in the past, that I know of, has had to reinstall their Skyrim game as it breaks the file. So since the Update.esm is an extension of the Skyrim.esm, my personal advice is ---- DO NOT clean the Update.esm. To many times in the past I've seen people who cleaned the Update.esm have problems and then those problems went away when they reverted to an Uncleaned Update.esm. Anyway, that's just my personal experience with cleaning the vanilla files and helping other people setup their games.

Edited by gromulos

I appreciate you explaining what you've learned recently, so it may be helpful as well for you to improve your guide. What I've learned from others in this short term is that the problem is not about cleaning specific files. It's rather about cleaning specific types of records.

Per source, ITM records are harmless and UDR's are not. Deleted navmeshes are also harmful but wouldn't fit in a beginners guide. E.g. immersive fallen trees mod had this problem until more experienced users helped the mod author by adding navmeshes so NPC's could see the fallen tress and cross them (source: search this topic for "deleted navmeshes").