Mods and TES6

zzazzman

It's all about that nostalgia factor. I for one don't like Oblivion's redundant dungeons and quests, but because of the nostalgia I have with it I go back to play it every once in a while (it was the ES game I've ever played like the other guy here).

I just hope TES6 has more intricate and unique quests that have huge impacts on you, the characters around you, and the game world itself. It also bugs me how when you join a guild you could be their leader in less than a week if you wanted to, and not to mention you could be the leader of EVERYTHING and you still would have little to no influence on the world.

I wish I could go back to before I ever played Oblivion just so I could play it and be like "wow! omg! so beautiful! amazing!" again :blush:. Same with Skyrim...

Now when I play I'm just like: "yeeeeep been there done that" :sleep:.

It's all about that nostalgia factor. I for one don't like Oblivion's redundant dungeons and quests, but because of the nostalgia I have with it I go back to play it every once in a while (it was the ES game I've ever played like the other guy here).

I just hope TES6 has more intricate and unique quests that have huge impacts on you, the characters around you, and the game world itself. It also bugs me how when you join a guild you could be their leader in less than a week if you wanted to, and not to mention you could be the leader of EVERYTHING and you still would have little to no influence on the world.

I wish I could go back to before I ever played Oblivion just so I could play it and be like "wow! omg! so beautiful! amazing!" again :blush:. Same with Skyrim...

Now when I play I'm just like: "yeeeeep been there done that" :sleep:.

I know how you feel, oblivion is bad, but by itself it still a good game that has a big great place in my heart forever. I myself love how they are like "the hero of kvatch!" and that feel when you close a gate! Or maybe because I get lost.

The AI in skyrim is smarter, much smarter. And it was made in 2011. I have been keeping a good look at other games AI. For example I have been playing tomb rider lately. I loved how she would react to the world, like when water falls on her and she rise her arms, how she would auto draw her weapon when others spot her, comment about her reloading and her scars etc. It makes me existed for the next game even more.

Also Skyrim caves and dungeons are really good. But Oblivion imo had better quests overall, faction questlines were longer, but imo (okay people will hate me for this.) the DB questline of Skyrim is better the one in Oblivion, but the pace was worse and the quests dull, while the characters less flashed out. Hopefully they are better in the next game, and long enough to for a full role play.

Some complained about the TG and that they are just thugs while oblivion guild is noble, but I don't mind it. I just minded that I have to be a nightingale. It just forced, but the armor is sick!

I heard people complain about the collage of winterhold, and how it should be like Hogwarts, such thing does not make sense imo. But when I think about it layout of the building is crazy.

As far as Fast Travel goes... I think it has a place, and not having it was one of the worst parts of Morrowind. I fast travel, every day I walk to work. I've walked the sake route so many times that I don't even really recognise what I see anymore, and it's all just automatic. The sake basic principle applies in TES, and being forced to walk past the same sign 500 times, while fun for a number of a the immersion crowd, is unappealing to most. Similarly, while having the feature doesn't mean you HAVE to use it, not having the feature means you're unable to use it even if you want to. For the sake of appealing to as many as possible, I think it should stay.

Hmmm, here is where I find myself still in cordial disagreement. I just re-uploaded Morrowind, and I must say, I strongly prefer the lack of constant access to fast travel. And I think this is a big deal. And not just for immersion's sake. I think fast travel leads you to always find yourself already at the cave or dungeon you were aiming for, and thus you spend almost all your time underground. It's not just immersion breaking, it's setting breaking.

Plus, the Morrowind system caused gameplay to change because you couldn't always transport around easily. Instead, you're forced to prepare for remote treks around a challenging countryside. Oblivion and Skyrim, however, you rarely found yourself preparing for anything other than another dungeon crawl.

I think for TES6, a Morrowind style travel system would be better, with tweaks, of course. Little in Morrowind, if anything at all, was perfect. First of all, I feel like there should be more travel options and an easier to navigate system when travelling around the cities. Another issue - it took a long time to even find all the transportation options. You might not encounter the guild guides unless you were a part of the mage's guild, the boats you wouldn't find until random conversation on random docks. In other words, a little hand holding at the beginning of the game introducing the travel methods would go a long way in making the game more accessible. And then you could have adventures in the remote parts of the province, rather than feeling like the whole province is entirely civilized and nothing is remote.

I fear that this game mechanic is one that will probably not change. It seems only a few people recognize how much fast travel has changed gameplay in TES. While I loved it at first in Oblivion, I slowly realized how flat it made adventuring. Morrowind had a lot of criticism of how hard it was to get around - and I feel I've made my points that it was more an issue with walking speed and un-introduced travel. Nevertheless, most people seem to applaud fast travel, and thus I think it is probably going to stay for TES6. Oh well, still my opinion.

As far as Fast Travel goes... I think it has a place, and not having it was one of the worst parts of Morrowind. I fast travel, every day I walk to work. I've walked the sake route so many times that I don't even really recognise what I see anymore, and it's all just automatic. The sake basic principle applies in TES, and being forced to walk past the same sign 500 times, while fun for a number of a the immersion crowd, is unappealing to most. Similarly, while having the feature doesn't mean you HAVE to use it, not having the feature means you're unable to use it even if you want to. For the sake of appealing to as many as possible, I think it should stay.

Hmmm, here is where I find myself still in cordial disagreement. I just re-uploaded Morrowind, and I must say, I strongly prefer the lack of constant access to fast travel. And I think this is a big deal. And not just for immersion's sake. I think fast travel leads you to always find yourself already at the cave or dungeon you were aiming for, and thus you spend almost all your time underground. It's not just immersion breaking, it's setting breaking.

Plus, the Morrowind system caused gameplay to change because you couldn't always transport around easily. Instead, you're forced to prepare for remote treks around a challenging countryside. Oblivion and Skyrim, however, you rarely found yourself preparing for anything other than another dungeon crawl.

I think for TES6, a Morrowind style travel system would be better, with tweaks, of course. Little in Morrowind, if anything at all, was perfect. First of all, I feel like there should be more travel options and an easier to navigate system when travelling around the cities. Another issue - it took a long time to even find all the transportation options. You might not encounter the guild guides unless you were a part of the mage's guild, the boats you wouldn't find until random conversation on random docks. In other words, a little hand holding at the beginning of the game introducing the travel methods would go a long way in making the game more accessible. And then you could have adventures in the remote parts of the province, rather than feeling like the whole province is entirely civilized and nothing is remote.

I fear that this game mechanic is one that will probably not change. It seems only a few people recognize how much fast travel has changed gameplay in TES. While I loved it at first in Oblivion, I slowly realized how flat it made adventuring. Morrowind had a lot of criticism of how hard it was to get around - and I feel I've made my points that it was more an issue with walking speed and un-introduced travel. Nevertheless, most people seem to applaud fast travel, and thus I think it is probably going to stay for TES6. Oh well, still my opinion.

You guys know you can just not use fast travel right?

Fast travel in Skyrim is perfect, there is ways to fast travel without using it and you have to go to many places on foot before it can be fast traveled to. I can also use it find my horse and followers by fast traveling to the same spot I'm in when I use them. It also on for normal players who are lazy. I played 200 hours Oblivion but I had to reach many places on foot first and saw many places and shrines, 500 hours Skyrim and found towns, dead bodies, camps etc. Fast travel didn't kill exploration for me, because I have to explore to use it anyways. I find it hard to see it s lore killing, you can just think you dragonborn traveled without you seeing it, since time pass. I have always thought of it that way.

It also saves some time for others who, sadly, don't have a lot of time to play video games. Removing it will case more harm imo. I think both way of fast travel should exist for many kind of players kind of players out there, it not like you are forced to fast travel anyways.

I'm sure if players want to explore, they will. And also if people don't want they can just use fast travel.

Edited by Boombro

It's funny that, considering how complex a game Skyrim is, the only thing folks seem to be hung up on is fast traveling. Here's an idea, for the difficulty slider, make the "Legendary" slot an "Immersion" slot where, if you select it, fast travel gets disabled and things like food and sleep matter. I know, it's too complicated to ever be implemented, but a man can dream...

I think the best advice any of us can give Bethesda in regards to the next installment is to simply take a look at the top 50 mods of all time on the Nexus as that shows what most players felt needed the most improvement. Not surprisingly, most of those 50 deal with making the game look better; better UI, better hair, better water, better textures, etc. Not to mention the fact that the unofficial patches are in spots 2, 8, 9 and 12 (hint-hint Bethesda). Now I realize that part of the reason Skyrim shipped out looking...the way that it did...was so it would run on a wider variety of machines, and obviously they are not going to ship it with an ENB preset. Not everyone (myself included) has the resources for a serious gaming rig. Another thing I can dream about...

I do also think that the next game should have a map that looks like a map, not a faux-Google Earth satellite picture with clouds obscuring the terrain and poorly defined roads. On the subject of maps, I recently discovered that there was an .ini setting that allows you to rotate the map 360°, that turned out to be much more useful than I had imagined; I found roads I didn't even know were there before. Put that in out of the box next time, please.

I also like the Hud widget that displays the time, both in-game and real-life. Especially the real life clock, I don't know how many times I've sat down with the thought, "I'll just play for an hour and a half before bed" only to have it turn into four hours and I have to get up and go to work the next day.

Any immersion mod is a matter of taste. And since the modders can successfully implement those into game already, I don't expect/want Bethesda to spend resources into that.

We got dedicated and willing modders to basically improve certain aspects of the game that many people might feel empty but not all. This is why I only expect from Bethesda to improve the engine and provide a better tool than Creation Kit so that the modders can actually do what they wanna do instead of just dealing with the engine incapabilities.

This is all I expect from TES6 actually. Because I know that our community will take care of the rest.

Any immersion mod is a matter of taste. And since the modders can successfully implement those into game already, I don't expect/want Bethesda to spend resources into that.

We got dedicated and willing modders to basically improve certain aspects of the game that many people might feel empty but not all. This is why I only expect from Bethesda to improve the engine and provide a better tool than Creation Kit so that the modders can actually do what they wanna do instead of just dealing with the engine incapabilities.

This is all I expect from TES6 actually. Because I know that our community will take care of the rest.

But fallout have hardcore mods, if the next game had some kind of frosfall+needs mod that would very great.

As a longtime skyrim player with over 200 mods running atm -- i was never attracted to the food/drink mods and wet/cold frostfall and all that; it's not something that's hard to do; just tedious and annoying.

Difficulty is boss mechanics, avoiding etc -- not wasting time eating a loaf of bread or finding a bed and clicking. Simply clicking doesnt make the game harder.

I think with scaling SkyRe does a great job (If you tick all the options) -- even at level 49 with around 105 in both 1H and Bow, a regular drauger from a "noob" dungeon can hurt me and my followers because of the way it scales them, and I find it awesome. I get new gear, makes me better, but not OP.

As for fast travel, half the time I get a quest I have to Fast Travel somewhere nearby and cut through jungles because I don't have it discovered. Maybe something remotely close, but still a good amount of traveling and fighting (especially with mods like immersive monsters)

As a longtime skyrim player with over 200 mods running atm -- i was never attracted to the food/drink mods and wet/cold frostfall and all that; it's not something that's hard to do; just tedious and annoying.

Difficulty is boss mechanics, avoiding etc -- not wasting time eating a loaf of bread or finding a bed and clicking. Simply clicking doesnt make the game harder.

I think with scaling SkyRe does a great job (If you tick all the options) -- even at level 49 with around 105 in both 1H and Bow, a regular drauger from a "noob" dungeon can hurt me and my followers because of the way it scales them, and I find it awesome. I get new gear, makes me better, but not OP.

As for fast travel, half the time I get a quest I have to Fast Travel somewhere nearby and cut through jungles because I don't have it discovered. Maybe something remotely close, but still a good amount of traveling and fighting (especially with mods like immersive monsters)

You don't want it, but way many others want it. Still an option for it such thing would be great. As someone who plays both games I think it funny has what the others needs.

You don't want it, but way many others want it. Still an option for it such thing would be great. As someone who plays both games I think it funny has what the others needs.

Never complained about what others want, just expressing my opinions on the game. I doubt that big of a change would be just a simple option you tick on or off (realistic needs and all that), but could be a "free DLC" like the texture packs that Bethesda puts out and supports/maintains; and of course optional to download.

As for mods, whether it's sanctioned or not -- people will make them someway or another; whether it's a custom API with dll hooks, or using tools to manually add changes in the data files (even if they're encrypted; not hard to decrypt with a community this large)