Fallout: New Vegas uses STEAM, but why...?

Stryfe23

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my problem with Steam is that IMO it's garbage....

Yesterday I got a game I pre-ordered It was listed as not being a Steamworks title but after I popped the disc in my Puter I noticed icons with Steam's armature graphic stupidly I decided to try it because I really wanted to try the game.then I noticed the Steamworks designation in small print on the back of the DVD case

It took from 11:30 PM to 4:00 AM to set Steam up in a somewhat usable form (it was still very unstable) so I could even think of actually installing the game. & it took till 4:30 PM before I was allowed to actually try the game (Steam just had to update it first).

it was about the worst time I have had with a working computer ever.

So no pre-ordereing games in the future for me & a lesson that not all publishers are as forthcoming about what DRM is used in their games as Beth is.

the game was cool but I feel like Steam stole a kidney from me

Steam is not DRM.

It also works just fine for the vast majority of users, like most other software that sticks around for any length of time. I've never had a problem with it myself across any of the varied machines I've used it on.

Skotte, what game was this? If it was release day then it was unlikely there was a patch released and it was merely a hitch with Steam detecting the game files correctly on the disc, if you look at the Steam support FAQ there is a workaround to this which would've saved you from having to download the game via Steam. As for Steam being unstable, care to elaborate? It's most likely to do with your PC than Steam itself.

The problem is some of us don't have an internet connection at home. That means that as much as I want to play F:NV, I wont be able to unless I can magically come up with the money for internet service. I think it's freakin' ridiculous that they make steam registration a requirement. These damned companies have no right to force me into paying for something I can't afford in order to install a game I bought on a computer I bought.

The thing is that the vast majority of people do have an internet connection at home and as such a platform such as Steam is perfect as it provides anti-piracy protection and limits the hassle for not only the end-user but also the developers themselves. You claim they have 'no right' to make you activate the product via the internet, yet they do have every right as it is their product and you are merely purchasing the right to use that product according to their EULA and contract. No one is forcing you to buy the game remember.

@LeeHarvey: LTNS. Sorry to hear about your financial troubles. I trawled through the Bethesda forums looking for an answer but couldn't find one, so I registered and posted asking if there is any way to activate without internet, or at least activate through another machine. We'll see what turns up. (Bethsoft forums require registration to use the search function, so...I didn't. I HATE forums like that)

Gishank: Purchasing the game does not equal agreeing to the EULA.

Skotte, what game was this? If it was release day then it was unlikely there was a patch released and it was merely a hitch with Steam detecting the game files correctly on the disc, if you look at the Steam support FAQ there is a workaround to this which would've saved you from having to download the game via Steam. As for Steam being unstable, care to elaborate? It's most likely to do with your PC than Steam itself.

Front Mission Evolved, It came out the 28th & I got it on the 2nd of this month & no I didn't download it. Steam started patching it as soon as it installed so I had to let that play out before I could play myself.

Stability: by unstable I mean I could just drag a steam window a little bit & steam would go into a un-responsive state & have to force windows to shut it down. it did that quite a bit actually (the unresponsive state)

& before anyone say it "Offline"mode just keeps me from using this particular game (I have no other Steamed games to see if it differs)

A moderator at bethsoft forums just said "take your computer to a friend's house that has internet." There are no alternative methods at all.

Not exactly helpful. Looks like you've no legal option to play New Vegas.

Big thumbs down to Beth and Obsidian for that.