About Windows 7 and Oblivion

Elsarian

Alright. Thank you Floydian. I will try again today and see what I can do.

Thanks to everyone here on this thread for helping me out!!

-Elsarian

1) I started to install the game last night and it was all the down to the very last bit on the install and then it said something about an error that happened during the installation on the game and dda few other things that I do not remember.

2) So, could this problem have occured with me allowing Oblivion to be installed the default way?

3) And what is wrong with how the default install is?

1) If you get an error message (the same or a different one), it is vital that you present as much of the message as possible if you request assistance as people can't help unless they have more information.

2) I don't think installing Oblivion to the default path caused the problem as I did it first before uninstalling and then reinstalling Oblivion into the My Documents folder.

3) I'm not a tech expert, so if bben or anyone else wants to explain in more detail or to correct any misinformation, please feel free to do so. As for way it is generally considered a bad idea to install Oblivion to the Program files folder, Windows 7, as well as Vista, protects files placed into the Program Files folder from being modified (probably from being replaced too) which is exactly what a significant amount of mods do. Here's a support thread with a couple of responses from a Microsoft Rep; http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/a3f86105-225c-4ce3-ad73-6e0394184aa7

edit: corrected link

Edited by Zetsubo Ketti

First of all they work perfectly under Windows 7, I have more than 300 mods installed, graphics all to max, 2048x1536 resolution, QTP3, OBGE, Better Cities, full FCOM, full Unique Landscapes, well you get the point, and NOT one single CTD in 3 hours of gameplay!!! I am so happy!

The 4GB Patch, get it here: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

It allows to Oblivion EXE file to use more than 2GB (old x32 software). For me it used almost up to 3.2Gb one time. This reduced the CTD almost to 0.

Oblivion Stutter Remover, here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=23208

Require OBSE, here: http://obse.silverlock.org/

Impresive tool, made for one of the Oblivion greatest modder.

One tip: Set the ini like this,

- FPS Management (disable it)

- Critical Sections (use it as default)

- Heap Replacement (use it and make this tweaks)

-> Thread heap=5

-> and where is =450 set it to =800 (because you can use more memery now)

Also download and use Streamline 3.1, here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10400

And use it only for Stream Purge, with the option set to "normal" or "4".

This is the 1st time I've heard of doing this. Ever consider turning this into a tutorial article? Maybe one article to describe how to expand any 32-bit app to use 4GB and another for optimizing Oblivion on a 64-bit OS (which will reference the 4GB article at one point).

Elsarian, I also run Oblivion on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit and have no problem....as long as the game is installed somewhere outside the default path. Mine is installed to D:\Games\Oblivion

On Vista or Win7, you should really install ANY game or application outside the default location if they were not specifically designed for your OS. All Windows 9x, Windows XP and Windows 2000 apps should be installed outside of the default program files path unless you "know" user data is not being written to the programs installation folder. If you install Firefox, you'll have no problem because addons, themes, plugins, bookmarks, etc. are NOT install in the program's file directory but rather your profile directory. No user data is written to the directory where firefox.exe is run from so there are no security (UAC) issues with normal program usage.

Thanks,

LHammonds

1st off:

Your disc could be scratched, like mine was (I had to buy the game coz of that :wallbash: ) I run on Win 7 64 bit with no real probs, but now that I read up I probably should have installed it to My docs.... :wallbash: .

2nd:

I'm really intrigued on that optimization thing for 64 bit, and the 4gb patch. etc. You should make a proper tutorial....

Eltath

That 4Gb tip was very much appreciated as my game only crashes because it reaches the 1,6-1,7Gb limit its RAM usage after playing an hour or two.

So thank you for that. :thumbsup:

One more thing. Should I edit the original oblivion.exe or the obse_loader.exe as I'm using OBSE ??

Edited by malacath von stahlriven

This is the 1st time I've heard of doing this. Ever consider turning this into a tutorial article? Maybe one article to describe how to expand any 32-bit app to use 4GB and another for optimizing Oblivion on a 64-bit OS (which will reference the 4GB article at one point).

Elsarian, I also run Oblivion on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit and have no problem....as long as the game is installed somewhere outside the default path. Mine is installed to D:\Games\Oblivion

On Vista or Win7, you should really install ANY game or application outside the default location if they were not specifically designed for your OS. All Windows 9x, Windows XP and Windows 2000 apps should be installed outside of the default program files path unless you "know" user data is not being written to the programs installation folder. If you install Firefox, you'll have no problem because addons, themes, plugins, bookmarks, etc. are NOT install in the program's file directory but rather your profile directory. No user data is written to the directory where firefox.exe is run from so there are no security (UAC) issues with normal program usage.

Thanks,

LHammonds

Great LHammonds! I would do a tutorial but my English is very poor, also the 4GB patch is not much difficult to use. But if you want to do a tutorial I am most glad to help!

1st off:

Your disc could be scratched, like mine was (I had to buy the game coz of that :wallbash: ) I run on Win 7 64 bit with no real probs, but now that I read up I probably should have installed it to My docs.... :wallbash: .

2nd:

I'm really intrigued on that optimization thing for 64 bit, and the 4gb patch. etc. You should make a proper tutorial....

Eltath

Oblivion was designed to work with x32 systems, so its memory usage limit is 2Gb, when it is reaching 1.9Gb is almost certain that you'll get a CTD.

The 4Gb patch allows Oblivion to use up to 3.5Gb or 7.0Gb if your system have 8Gb!

But you'll need an extra tool like Oblivion Stutter Remover for better memory optimization. And Streamline is recommended too.

By the way, you can do this to other games like Fallout3, Tomb Raider Underwold, etc.

Other thing I did for GREAT optimization was to distribute original and modded BSAs files into 4 physical HDs. No more loading sttutering!

That 4Gb tip was very much appreciated as my game only crashes because it reaches the 1,6-1,7Gb limit its RAM usage after playing an hour or two.

So thank you for that. :thumbsup:

One more thing. Should I edit the original oblivion.exe or the obse_loader.exe as I'm using OBSE ??

It only must be used with oblivion.exe. Not OBSE_launcher.exe!

Regards!

Xtudo

OBSE will disable the LLA flag when you run Oblivion with it. It shouldn't matter since OSR replaces the heap anyway. I set the heap size to 1024. If you have a quad-core processor you can try and change the default mode in CriticalSections to '3' (stuttering). I have an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and this works best for me. Also try adding 1000 for every extra physical thread you have to DefaultSpin (I use 4000 here).

Yes! Setting CriticalSections to '3' (stuttering) helpme a lot. For DefaultSpin I use 2000 as I have an old E8400.

And I will try setting the heap size to 1024.

Thanks!

The default - in both Vista and Win7 allows the Windows UAC to control what is and isn't allowed with programs that are installed in the Program files folders. The purpose is to limit the damage that is caused when a virus or other malware attempts to change something in a program - such as turn off your anti-virus check for that particular virus.

The UAC sees a mod as an attempt to change the program and blocks it. If you have UAC messages enabled, a message will warn you. If you do not have the UAC messages enabled, it just blocks it without telling you.

As UAC does not try to control programs installed outside of the program files folders, We recommend installing games in a folder that is outside - I create a C:\Games folder and install all games there (even steam). so it looks like this

C:\Games\Oblivion

C:\Games\Steam (all steam games will be installed here)

C:\Games\Fallout3

C:\Games\any other game

You can still have shortcuts to them on your desktop - or anywhere else. I have a shortcut on my desktop that just has game shortcuts in it. This cuts down on the number of icons on my desktop.

Note: if your Oblivion is from steam, you must first install the steam client in the new location, then reinstall the steam games there.