Dark Fantasy Weapons

Saaya

Hi Hi,

I just started to modelize a sword inspired by Luis Royo. Nothing special, for now I just want to see if I can do something good. Here is the base mesh :

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/250/b/b/sword01_wip01_by_julienjulien-d2y9u41.jpg

I will sculpt the details in Zbrush to do the normal map and an Ambiant Occlusion map for the base texture, and then paint the texture in toshop.

At the end my goal is to do a little quest mod, telling the story of Luis the Blacksmith who disappeared and left some notes to find his creations in Tamriel... Hope it will work ^^.

I know there already are a lot of weapons mods, but I just want to do some 3D meshes, and I don't like when I modelize things which are not used, so I will put them in Oblivion.

Haha ^^. Well, I did a test ingame with a basic gray texture before starting the normal map sculpting, but the texture appears dark purple, but not the "missing texture" purple. I think I did everything as explained in the tutorial...

Another question : may I use non-square textures ? I can do a 1024x256 texture overlaping the front and back UV's, but I don't know if I can use this size...

Haha ^^. Well, I did a test ingame with a basic gray texture before starting the normal map sculpting, but the texture appears dark purple, but not the "missing texture" purple. I think I did everything as explained in the tutorial...

Another question : may I use non-square textures ? I can do a 1024x256 texture overlaping the front and back UV's, but I don't know if I can use this size...

I dont think any size other than square is allowed - also be sure to make it a power fo 2 (128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096)

I dont know what caused the purple texture thing - a missing normalmap would be simple black, but i suggest you test fully textured

If the texturing doesnt work out, im willing to check out your files and see if there are any problems

Ok I will try with a normal map.

Currently i'm sculpting the sword details in ZBrush... for the 8 or 9th time... was a real pain at the beginning and I did a stupid mistake : impossible to extract a good normal map with overlaped UV's ( looks logical now I know it, but I thought I was able to change the UV's after sculpting... and I failed. ) And I forgot to activate the Y axis symmetry, so I only sculpted one side of the sword... -_-

I did a new version of the mesh with less than 700 tris, and I just found a good brush to sculpt solid-looking objects : the layer-constant.

Here is a preview of the details sculpted on the blade...

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/253/5/9/sword01_wip02_by_julienjulien-d2yf3y9.jpg

The harder part was to find a brush able to do something else than "mud sculpting". ^^