Dark Fantasy Weapons

Saaya

Yeah a mesh with more than 10 000 000 polys always looks nice... but the problem is to extract a good normal map from this... I generated a 4096 normal map, reduced at 2048 and sharpened in photoshop, but I don't know why the uv's don't match with the mesh...

I will try again tomorrow, changing the topology a little bit, doing the uv's again and re-sculpting with less tiny details.

He's using the method of making a very detailed model (presumably in zbrush) then generating a normal map for a lower polygon model for the game. Look great though

Sure!

:P - im only a newbie blender user, so stand with me here xD

You have to know what your doing to have the normal maps turnout well, I have also tried in the past and got odd results.

YodaY- I completely agree with your earlier comment though, however that is the whole purpose of a normal map, pretty cool stuff once one learns how to use it.

I did the sculpting again, here is the result :

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/254/d/3/sword01_wip03_by_julienjulien-d2yhid8.jpg

Took me at least 5 hours ^^.

I'm really stoopid... I wanted to do a 2048x512 or 1024x256 texture with back/front overlaped UV's and I forgot to stretch the Uv's to take the 0-1 uv space entierely...

Now I have to sculpt this again with the new UV's because I can't import them in the current highpoly...

:wallbash:

PS : I tried to do a quick normal map, 1024x256, and a basic texture, then I exported from max in OBJ, imported in blender to have the collision ( the niftools doesn't works on my 3ds max 2010, the niftools 2010 beta doesn't appear, or I can't find it ). I tested ingame, it works perfectly, the non-square texture is automatically stretched on a square and match the UV's.

:biggrin:

A 2048x512 texture+normal map will be good I think.