Player Home for the Archaeologist

ProteusBlack

No Good Homes For Archaeologist Build?

I began a game with an archaeologist character build. The idea was very Indiana Jones inspired, with a very "I love to study lore via books, artifacts, science, dwemer tech" touch to it. Then I went over the Nexus to look for a player home that might reflect this kind of character... I found some wonderful selections for what they are, but it was extremely difficult to find one that focused on having an extensive library, study office, artifact display museum, etc, and not be a massive castle/palace/manor that takes ages to get around in and is way over the head of a rather simple type of character. A "library" to most of the more reasonable homes consists of only about 3 - 5 bookshelves in a corner in a random room or across from an enchanting table somewhere, and in most of those homes, the atmosphere doesn't really reflect somebody who has a studyworm intellectual personality (dark, musky, stone floor/wall atmospheres, poorly lit, etc).

Now, if I've overlooked something and anybody knows of a player home that does exist, which does reflect this type of character well, feel free to reply with links. I've been looking for days and have consulted some of you in chat for help. They have been wonderful, but usually tends to lack certain essential features that I feel are important to get right for this type of build.

My Idea - Starting With The Study Hall

So, my next resort: I would like to request someone who can actually create a place for a character like this. My instinct imagines this player home to be built into the side of a hill or mountain near Markarth, the architecture Somewhat Dwemer in style, but not too much. I imagine the interior floors and walls might not be bare, musty stone (at least not completely), but had been remodeled for a somewhat more sophisticated style of living (not luxury, but just more comfortable and decently lit). I don't have a completely developed idea of the entire interior, but I do have a starting point, which would probably be the character's favorite room, where he spends most of his time - the study hall. This room is rectangular in shape, has bookshelves lining the walls along the sides, tables, glass display cases, book stands, mannequins, and other types of item displays sitting throughout the center of the room space (either in isles or in some kind of other, non-organized pattern as to express the character just having been too busy to make it look very organized).

The idea is that the owner comes into this room often and spends a lot of time examining rare artifacts and treasure, reading books about them, and about where they come from, etc, and occasionally tinkers and experiments with the items he has to learn about them. Now, the entrance of the room is at one end of this hall chamber, and at the other end of it, is the player's dedicated office space. This area might be divided from the main display area, or it might not be. The desk is a bit large, full of papers, some books, and various nick-nack-type items that are either inspirational for his passion, and/or things he is currently most focused on. On the wall behind the desk (desk facing toward the main area of the hall, not toward the wall), are maps of locations in Skyrim. Maybe one large one of Skyrim and some smaller ones of some specific locations assumed you are researching. Anyway, this is the general idea. This is not a request for things to be EXACTLY this way, but simply, to give you a general idea about it. You are always welcome to execute this in whatever fashion your creativity has in mind yourself.

Do feel free to message me, or just reply here about any other details, questions, comments, suggestions, etc about this. I've never used the CK before and so have never created any mods, but I am willing to give any kind of hand that I can to anyone who would like to create this place. Just let me know what I can do. :smile:

Edited by ProteusBlack

I would attempt to make this myself if only the CK would/could load on my system. Instead it hangs indefinitely and locks my computer up. This is one of the reasons why I chose to request it here. On top of that, I don't have the time to put together something like this even if the CK did run on my computer. Keep in mind, this is just one room so far. I'm posting here to hopefully find a player-home modder who can work with me, and bounce ideas off of each other for what the rest of the home would be like.

That tower is nice, but again, lacks a great many essential features (and even correct atmosphere) that I've had in mind.

I figure an archaeologist might use mannequins to display rare armor items of some sort. You never know. :)

Not really, you don't need mannequins. Back in Oblivion, I used to put my armor in display cases. It looks nice if the case was big enough to have a dagger with it right under the neatly folded armor :D

I found a home that suits to in a way. It has a big library-study room with many scrolls and it in a nordic ruin as a plus. I would will love the display room, however it need all three dlcs and another mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34368/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D34368&pUp=1

I would love to make this mod for you. I enjoy playing this type of character too. But I am horrible at modeling so I probably wouldn't be able to make the kind of walls you had in mind. And I will plan on starting on this and I will let you know if anything changes. But don't expect anything soon. I want to work on this and it will probably be at least a month. If you have any other ideas be sure to let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd also love to have one of these homes! Although I would like to have to work for it, hearthfire style or pay for it. (Either materials or gold) I would love to make this mod myself, (I'm thinking maybe you'll have 2 versions, one for manual labor for the home or one where you just get a key somewhere) I'm quite skilled with the CK and if you'd like to bounce some ideas around just give me a PM!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm putting together mods for my own archaeologist play thru! So I couldn't resist chiming in. Not sure if it would fit your tastes but I am planning on running Legacy of the Dragonborn and using that as a home base, since it reads " Archaeologist Guild " to me! It's spacious and will give us lots of goodies to dig up.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52248/?

And if you haven't stumbled across it yet, I recommend Campfire: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64798/?

And the Digsite add-on! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66468/?

• 1 year later...

You might try something like Eagle's Nest. It can be a little bit dark, depending on the lighting mods you use, but it has just about everything else you could possibly need -- especially if you pair it with the Unlimited Bookshelves mod so you can store artifacts on the shelves as well as the books.