• other
  2. 2. why?

• more majestic, powerful, etc.
    • more central to game, fictional realms
    • more central to mythology
    • has more connection with my life
    • other

Magicians and such.

Magic is a brilliant invention/idea/concept. It quite literally makes the possibilities limitless. From lighting a fire with a single word to leveling entire cities to returning life to the dead, by fell or righteous means. Magic opens every last path of exploration, every last possibility in the world, and so much more that could never be done otherwise. In addition, based upon your 'rules' of magic, so much more is possible. Armies of the dead, massive magically-built fortresses/homes, and just so much more.

The removal, if you will, of reality is a brilliant tool for when sometimes reality is too much, too boring, or perhaps just not quite what you're wanting.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Werewolves. I like some of the other things listed too because of mythical purposes, but ...That's that's the only reason I like some of the other things is simply the mythologies.

Werewolves, on the other hand, are part mythology and part something else. They are often seen as a metaphor for the most primal parts of the human psyche, and as such, I appreciate them a bit more. They make for some good stories as well as interesting psychological introspection.

That and they are the most fun to watch in whatever media they're in. They're fast, powerful, more unpredictable and more indiscriminate than the other things mentioned, which typically makes for a more visceral and volatile scene when they're doing their killing thing in movies, etc.

Edited by Karasuman

I chose Giants, and as I seem to be the first and only (so far) to have done so, I'll explain.

Giants have always been both mysterious and terrifying in a way to me. They are obviously like us, or we like them, because physically we are very similar...except they are *more*. And they just don't seem to operate by the same rules that most humans do...

In Old Heathen lore, Giants walked the Universe before Man. The All-Father, Odin, was born of a Giantess named Bestla, and he with his two brothers slew the proto-Giant Ymir and from his remains crafted our world, Middle-Earth/Midgard. Therefore, they Are history and they are the building blocks of the world around us. Not only are they the scholarly past but they are, in a magical sense, the keys to understanding the machinations of the Universe. Old One-Eye would agree with me on this. ;)

As such, they are keys to our ancient past, present, and future. They are outside the bounds of our civilized world (that is, what we understand), and represent natural forces of the Universe which man, if he is attuned, can greatly benefit from. Giants are seen as sources of great and eldritch wisdom, and in fact Odin, the archetypal Wizard, is known to seek wisdom and magic from the Giants as they are the holders of that hoary lore. They, in their mysterious gigantic castles to the East in the mountains, are often sought after not only as advisers and teachers, but the gods also seek out Giantesses for wives, so they can't just be reduced to ugly brutes with nothing to do but bash things.

It is only during the Christianization of Europe that more and more negative elements seep into the old tales of the Giants and take over from the Old Heathen Lore where Giants were sought-after advisers. And as such (foreign, politically motivated, and therefore false), I tend to ignore those elements that see Giants in only negative terms.

Granted, there is always a duplicitous aspect to Giants, since they are so great and powerful and mysterious from a human or even god-human standpoint. They are Older and always a bit unfathomable, so you can't really identify with them like you can a human. But you don't necessarily have to think they're automatically enemies to be killed, however, either.

So, if your Will and your Magic be Great enough, Seek out the Giants for the Old Lore, but be respectful and be up to the Task...or else they might GOBBLE YOU UP!

Edited by WizardOfAtlantis

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say Werewolves. Why? Firstly, I just love the possible duality of the werewolf persona, the possibility of a totally harmless individual not unlike myself (being the lazy-ass nerd I am) having a werewolf side to them is just that fascinating.

And secondly, they are just that awesome..

• 4 weeks later...

Well I see I truly am in the minority here. I voted other on both options. My favorite mythological creature is the Phoenix, and i'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Somewhat disappointing. >.<

To me the Phoenix represents beauty and elegance, burning with passion and the renewal of life.

Am I the only one who feels this way??