The chinese government is stupid

Lehcar

seriously, they're idiots. They should have seen the gender imbalance problem coming from a mile and a half away with their mundane (and obviously ineffective) one child policy. its doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize ahead of time that if you only have boys and kill all the baby girls off, you're obviously going to end up having a serious shortage of women a generation down the road.

but why is "carrying on the family name" so darned important to people there, i don't understand that.

but now they're actually PAYING families just to have baby girls... that's awfully sad if you ask me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly and utterly pathetic.

They are either simply blind, or genuinely idiotic. As in too stupid even to understand where babies come from. Human dont reproduce asexualy, so getting rid of the female population is probably the most idiotic thing any government can do within the bounds of reason. Shame on you China, I thought you were smarter than that.

I think people are either misinformed or otherwise narrow minded when it comes to China's one-child policy. The policy affects the benefits families receive for children. You can have more than one child but the government will not give child benefits to families that have more than the one child quota.

There are obviously still ethical issues involved with this decision but people seem to think that the Chinese government have outright banned families from having more than one child, which isn't the case at all.

My sister has lived in Shanghai for 5 years now and I've visted her, as well as Beijing in the past. China gets a very bad rap from western media. They have some things wrong but they have a LOT of stuff right in that country. I really dislike folks who jump on the "omg China sux" bandwagon without any informed reason.

I'm prepared to be disliked then,

I too know folks in china, and when you tell people who have no income that "have only one male child or no money for you" they'll do whatever they bloody well see fit to get the money. Numbers dont lie, baby girl shortage = shattered population. Not to mention the shear lack of ethics in favouring one gender over another so completely.

What I dislike most about China's policy is that it's entirely based on the national level. These people recently had a few states fail to meet environmental quotas so they simply forced several factories out of business. This destroyed the working lives of tens of thousands, but the government didnt even realise. It's an idiot collosus, mighty, but the proverbial head is so preoccupied with the world stage that it doesnt notice how badly the proverbial body is rotting away,

Historically speaking, actually not that bad if your main goal is population control. Compared to most other of China's questionable actions under Mao, this actually makes logical sense. Having a population which is heavily skewed towards males means a much larger workforce, larger military, and a negative population growth after a period of time. While yes, there are some troubling aspects such as female infanticide, mandated abortion clinics, and the like, they've done worse... and so have we.

Realistically speaking, by 2030, nearly every industrialized country will probably need to instate some sort of population controls to keep global population below 10 billion.

governments are stupid, thats that, but they get the job done

im a mental anarchist, i love the idea, but i know that it isnt practical without respect and love for another, would probably have to be a heavily religious society, or all brainwashed for it to work for an extended period...

governments are stupid, thats that, but they get the job done

im a mental anarchist, i love the idea, but i know that it isnt practical without respect and love for another, would probably have to be a heavily religious society, or all brainwashed for it to work for an extended period...

There's always that crazy stuff about civil discourse, efficient social services, honest lawmakers, and efforts to resolve ignorance and promote tolerance... But yeah... that's just crazy talk.

=.= Being a Chinese, maybe I can say something about that.

but why is "carrying on the family name" so darned important to people there, i don't understand that.

China was once a patrilineal society and this won't changed completely easily. It was used to think that a girl who is married is belong to her husband's family and has less connection with her parents' side. On this point, a girl is usually less "useful" to a family. For now, many things already changed, but not all of China are developing at the same speed, and many people living in villages still hold opionions like that. And opioions vary amang different generations, for example, I like girl more than boy, but I am very sure that my father and my grandma want me to have a boy. It takes time to change.

its doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize ahead of time that if you only have boys and kill all the baby girls

I don't know where you got the idea. The goverment's policies differ amang different areas. For urban areas, that's to some extent true since having a second child would benifit much less than having only one. However, three of my uncles has a daughter and they love them very much. And for many rural areas, it is allowed to have a second child and have the same benift if their first child is a girl.(This won't change the ratio of male or female actually.) However, they have to face the fact that it is hardly possible for a poor family to afford two children. The cost to raise a child is very high and boys are considered more useful to a famlily. Some families have many children, and they can even hardly let all of them to go to school.

I too know folks in china, and when you tell people who have no income that "have only one male child or no money for you" they'll do whatever they bloody well see fit to get the money. Numbers dont lie, baby girl shortage = shattered population. Not to mention the shear lack of ethics in favouring one gender over another so completely.

This severe problem is due to the previous poliy, not current policy.

Once, women are encouraged to have as many children as they can, since the leader says "Larger Number brings greater power." A woman who has many children would receive a title " Heroine Mother". This resulted to a disaster. Usually every family would have four or five children and sometimes more than eight. These people suffered a lot when they grew up and needed to find a job or try to move to cities. And now, when these people have their children, even for only one child, it is still a great amount. The new generation not only have to beat their counterparts to get a job but also compete with a large number of people at their parents ages.