The Nexus State of the Union - 2015

Dark0ne

Going to sound somewhat tedious, but one suggestion I could make on the front of improving the site, would be some way to bump up the quality of the images that come up when looking for mods, for some reason the pictures always show up somewhat distorted almost like they're low res (may be something the site does to help pages load faster for people), would be nice if there was an option to disable that and load the full quality image for the mods listed instead :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be sad to see a new community manager with a "happy go lucky attitude." I enjoy your honesty Dark0ne, it's refreshing especially in the game industry. We Gamers get fed a lot of crap, from buggy games that get pushed out the door to soon, to reviewers that get there pockets filled with money by the companies of the games there reviewing, the industry as a whole is a dishonest mess. You are one of the exceptions.

It's my belief this community is what it is today because of your honesty. I admit I'm a picky gamer, I want the Nexus to work right and to get to enjoying the mods asap, I get all ticked off when things don't work right or are slower then normal. But for everyone of those angry at the Nexus moments there has come an apology and a detailed explanation of why it happened. If some "happy go lucky guy" would have told me to just relax and that it will be taken care, to look on the bright side it's not normally like this, I would have stayed ticked for a lot longer. Instead I read one of your heart felt apologies and I feel guilty for getting upset in the first place.

You and your direction built this community to what it is today. I feel as if the Nexus is my home, this community is my family. No one in the world takes Gamers seriously we are overlooked and treated as a bunch of children, with a kids hobby. No one other then Gamers understand this is the art of all arts, games incorporate all forms of art. When I come to the Nexus I'm not alone anymore there are thousands that understand who I am and what drives me. You my friend are responsible for that, you and your vision have created that.

I guess if there is a point to this long rambling it's would be, let someone else take care of the other crap. You play the God Father to this community which you have started. Maybe you feel like you someone else would do a better job. But I think I can speak for everyone and say that we the community does not feel that way at all. Read your post again, look at the numbers you provide, you did that Dark0ne, you and the team you lead, no one else, You! I would also argue that if someone else were at the helm things most likely wouldn't have turned out as good as they have.

Thank you for your honesty, thank you and your team for the hard work and sleepless nights, thank you for such a great community. Just thanks for having the courage to be yourself in all matters relating to the Nexus. And with that I remove my nose from DarkOnes ass and get back to downloading some more booby mods!

Edited by cem267

*snip*

Very well said, echoed in it's entirety.

Enjoy the extra shut-eye, Robin, and thank you all.

First off i'd like to both congratulate and thank you for your efforts to increase the Nexus site performance and stability.

I've been a member for quite a while now, and i very well remember the times where you had to be quick to write a comment or download a file, and you had to do it during work times on weekdays because the site was pretty much guaranteed to be offline almost every night and on the weekends. ;)

Right now i can't remember when i last had a download being slow or not work at all. And occasional maintenance is nothing to worry about.

Now about moderation guidelines and transparency, i'm glad that this has been done.

Talking to people about the Nexus, i often hear comments like:

- "Just download your mods, endorse and log out"

- "never write comments and never upload images" ( ! )

This can't be beneficial for the progress of art and modding techniques, right?

Alone the fact that parallel communities have been thriving, because people don't want to be afraid of what sometimes seemed random and arbitrary banning without a "warning shot" when they uploaded a mod or an image.

Anyways, keep up the good work and thanks for everything.

Edited by ScrollTron1c

- "Just download your mods, endorse and log out"

- "never write comments and never upload images" ( ! )

That sort of comment is usually made by someone(s) who were given a "warning shot" (as in, an informal/formal warning) due to having knowingly said, shown or uploaded something that is against the regulations here.

These tend to be trolls, haters, pirates, flamebaiters, people uploading files or images featuring illegal content, etc... So it's always going to be biased and exaggerated posts from their side, due to them being angry at us for pulling them up for their improper behaviour.

The Nexus is that (seemingly) rare, non-commercial internet community where the rules are actually enforced and people can't just say or show any obnoxious thing they want.

The ONLY way to get banned from the Nexus is to violate the Terms of Service, and it's not hard to follow them.

Just behave as if you were in your Grandmother's house with your Mother watching. In other words; be polite to, and respectful of, others and their things. That's it. :thumbsup:

If you can't do that, then you can do whatever it is you do... elsewhere.

Thanks for the update. Interesting reading, as always. Congratulations on all the successes to you and the team, and thanks for all the hard work!

By the way - I would say that, for as long as you are up for it, Dark0ne, you should keep the community manager role. Hand the role to someone else if you want/need to, but I certainly don't need someone with a happy-go-lucky attitude, sticking "awesome!" into every other sentence. I like your bullshit-free posts and their humour! And I like the hearing about what's happening from the person at whom the buck stops.

Happy 2015!

Edited by EpF