Text Colours

Themisive

I am writing a book that needs different colours in it. I did download some hex colour codes recently, however they don't seem to work . Are there special codes just for Morrowind - and if so where can I find them?

[ Possible Waste of Time ]

I don't mod for Morrowind but I would suspect if the HTML color names or color codes do not work, you may have to use images.

[ / Possible Waste of Time ]

• 3 weeks later...

I understand your meaning, but to be honest, this volume has to have several DIFFERENT TEXT COLOURS, it will also need an index. In fact I am intending to write TWO books, the long one will be on a lecturn, whilst the other - thankfully very short - will sit on the shelf nearby.

As you will see images are NOT an option, since I have often several (3 or more) text colours on the same lin!

I realise that Morrowind uses an abbreviated form of HTML, but there are four issues here:

1. I don't know what that abbreviated HTML is.
  2. I also don't know the text colours that Morrowind will accept.
  3. Do I need to use the </font> at the end of a text colour?
  4. As I will be using Magic Cards 3 throughout, can I set I set that at the beginning of the text, so that it will continue all the way?

The best way to find out is by looking at the game itself. Does the vanilla version of Morrowind contain books that have HTML codes in them?

Look for modded books uploaded here at TESNexus and see how they format the text in their books.

Other places to find answers are wiki sites...I assume there is a CS Wiki for Morrowind.

A quick google search showed me these places:

Modder's Font Pack

Although the images are gone, step 5 and 6 talk about the text formatting: Silgrad Tutorial

HTML fonts allow specifying color by name or code, here are a few examples...maybe they will work for you:

<font color=red>This is red text</font><br>
<font color="red">This is red text</font><br>
<font color=#ff0000>This is red text</font><br>
<font color="#ff0000">This is red text</font><br>
<br>
<br>

The above shows 4 different ways of coding text in a red font. You will have to see which works in a Morrowind mod. If the codes work, that will be best because you can specify a wide range of colors...just check an internet search for html color codes.

Article on Oblivion Book Formatting

Thanks Mr Hammond

Yes there is indeed a section in Wiki for Morrowind, it's on the same page as the Oblivion data, but a bit farther down. Unfortunately it only gives a list of the various books available, not the formatting or colours.

Although the images are gone, step 5 and 6 talk about the text formatting: Silgrad Tutorial

Whist these are OK, and do give some information, as you say there are no images to give a little help of what he/she is talking about.

The main problem is that some of the items (it's a book of potion recipes by the way) will need sometimes two different colours at the end , the basic text being black. So on any line you could have several different colours.

I do see you point about looking at other books for the various formats, but unfortunately there are only a few that seem to give the length I think I'll need, and since it is to be an open book, there are even fewer, though i was interested in on comment in the Silgrad Tutorial, namely that if the weight of the book is increased, it will be able to contain more text!.

I have managed to find an RGB hex and triplet set on Google, but I don't really want to put colours in that the system won't handle.

The main problem is that some of the items (it's a book of potion recipes by the way) will need sometimes two different colours at the end , the basic text being black. So on any line you could have several different colours.

Have you tried it?

This is a test for <font color=red>RED</font> text and <font color=green>GREEN</font> text.

But of course, you would need to test to see if the code requires quotes around the value or not.

I have managed to find an RGB hex and triplet set on Google, but I don't really want to put colours in that the system won't handle.[/font]

It is called trial and error. There are lists of 256 "Internet Safe" RGB color codes but you would need to test to see if it required specific named values, or just the safe 256 RGB values or if it will take any RGB value. The Internet Safe versions are the "paired" codes [R] [G] such as FF0000 is solid red. 00FF00 is solid green. 0000FF is solid blue. FFFF00 is solid red and green mixed together...which is yellow.

The "off color" values are everything in between such as mixing the values in each slot to refine the color to a much greater extent...like F60801. Without knowing what F60801 looks like, I can get a basic idea from looking at the primary fields [R] [G] . F6 is the red channel, F being solid red and 6 being 1/2 way between Red and Black...so the overall color influence in the red channel is pretty high. 08 is the green color 0 being solid black and 8 being about 1/8 way between green and black so the overall color influence in the green channel is mostly black. 01 is the blue channel with 0 being solid black and the other part only one step above black so the overall color influence in the green channel is almost solid black. F60801 should probably be more red in color than anything else. So let's see what it looks like when BBCode is applied to the color: F60801. Solid red is FF0000. The primary color influence in each of these is F, 0, 0 (if you drop the 2nd parts which are 6, 8, 1). Both these colors are VERY similar so I would actually use the Internet Safe color of FF0000. But then again, you need to test how Morrowind interprets the color values to see if it requires key words such as "red" or if it only takes HTML code such as #FF0000. Maybe it takes both. You just have to test (and please let us know...I don't have Morrowind so I cannot verify either way)

LHammonds