Steam is Utter Garbage

FoolyCooly

Yea, I said it. Give me Games for Windows Live over this s***. I've used Steam for 2 years and have loved it up to this point. I paid my money for the game and patiently waited for it to download, only to be greeted with "This game is unavilable".

Are you f***ing kidding me? Thanks for not even telling me what that means. Why is it unavilable? Why is it that even though all the files have been downloaded it's "unavilable" even when i'm in offline mode? I waited 10 hours after downloading for it to fix itself, used every solution avilable on google and steam website, nothing. I don't want to hear any crap about how I should be patient, I paid my well earned money to play the game, and I don't think it's unreasonble to actually want to start playing it.

I'm not looking for any sympathy or help, i'm venting. I might as well considering I certainly won't be playing New Vegas today.

Yea, I said it. Give me Games for Windows Live over this s***. I've used Steam for 2 years and have loved it up to this point. I paid my money for the game and patiently waited for it to download, only to be greeted with "This game is unavilable".

Are you f***ing kidding me? Thanks for not even telling me what that means. Why is it unavilable? Why is it that even though all the files have been downloaded it's "unavilable" even when i'm in offline mode? I waited 10 hours after downloading for it to fix itself, used every solution avilable on google and steam website, nothing. I don't want to hear any crap about how I should be patient, I paid my well earned money to play the game, and I don't think it's unreasonble to actually want to start playing it.

I'm not looking for any sympathy or help, i'm venting. I might as well considering I certainly won't be playing New Vegas today.

I have downloaded the game from Steam and I'm playing it with zero problems. Steam delivered everything as promised. I don't understand this hatred of Steam. This is not necessarily the way I like to do things but s*** happens. The old days appear to be long gone.

Restart steam? Sod's law dictates that someone has to have a show-stopping problem with *insert_service_here* on launch day.

Oh, of course. I was just annoyed earlier and I have very little patience.

So get this, my anti-virus software (which I had disabled) had quarentined the launcher files for New Vegas as malware. However deactivating it didn't restore them so I assumed I still had a problem. The issue here is that theres no particular fix to this issue, its just a generic error message that could be caused by a billion things.

Anyway, fixed it, played happily. Love u Steam.

Restart steam? Sod's law dictates that someone has to have a show-stopping problem with *insert_service_here* on launch day.

Oh, of course. I was just annoyed earlier and I have very little patience.

So get this, my anti-virus software (which I had disabled) had quarentined the launcher files for New Vegas as malware. However deactivating it didn't restore them so I assumed I still had a problem. The issue here is that theres no particular fix to this issue, its just a generic error message that could be caused by a billion things.

Anyway, fixed it, played happily. Love u Steam.

Ok, so tell us what you did to fix it, so someone else doesn't have to go through that.

Ok, so tell us what you did to fix it, so someone else doesn't have to go through that.

Er... that's what I did. My anti-virus flagged the files as malware and quarentined them. That was the problem. And like I also explained, its a generic error message and theres no guarenteed fix.

This is positively the last time I purchase a Bethesda title if they choose to continue to implement such convoluted security schemes. Where shall I begin...okay at the beginning. I missed the boat on pre-order but managed to snag a CE copy at Bestbuy this am (that's the end of the good news.) It seems that contrary to the little warning on the back of the box a simple activation is not what is required to play the game, you need to dl the whole f***ing game from Steam and be forever joined at the hip to them to access the game.

I guess I should have seen it coming, with the recent trend of using archaic fossilized music for games (Bioshock, Fallout 3.) Just another way for the companies to trim $$ off actual original content and I don't want to hear any crap about how it fits into the Fallout universe (the first iterations of Fallout did not need such rubbish.) To me this is just one indication of how we the players are getting less for our $. I'm reasonably confident that another large chunk of the budget got sucked up by the so called voice talent. Who the hell needs these over fed over paid Hollywood a****s. I understand that game companies need to protect their "Intellectual Property" but pissing off loyal customers, is to me not high on the scale of intellect, it's just short sighted, quick $ tactics. Enjoy my 60+$ Bethesda, if you continue on this path it's the last $ you'll get fro me.

I strongly discourage those of you that have not purchased or pre-ordered yet to save your $ from the pig trough.

This is positively the last time I purchase a Bethesda title if they choose to continue to implement such convoluted security schemes. Where shall I begin...okay at the beginning. I missed the boat on pre-order but managed to snag a CE copy at Bestbuy this am (thats the end of the good news.) It seems that contrary to the lttle warning on the back of the box a simple activation is not what is required to play the game, you need to dl the whole f***ing game from Steam an be forever joined at the hip to them to access the game.

I guess I should have seen it coming, with the recent trend of using archaic fossilized music for games (Bioshock, Fallout 3.) Just another way for the companies to trim $$ off actual original content and I don't want to hear any crap about how it fits into the Fallout universe (the first iterations of Fallout did not need such rubbish.) To me this is just one indication of how we the players are getting less for our $. I'm reasonably confident that another large chunk of the budget got sucked up by the so called voice talent. Who the hell needs these over fed over paid Hollywood a****s. I understand that game companies need to protect their "Intellectual Property" but pissing off loyal customers, is to me not high on the scale of intellect, it's just short sighted, quick $ tactics. Enjoy my 60+$ Bethesda, if you continue on this path it's the last $ you'll get fro me.

Wow, chill out and read the thread entitled: How To Install Steamworks Games From The Retail Disc I had the same problem until I read that, easy fix. That thread is right here in this section of the forums, no excuse.

EDIT: Also, I have my gaming PC offline 99% of the time, I activated the game, unplugged the patch cable and viola, games work just fine.

I strongly discourage those of you that have not purchased or pre-ordered yet to save your $ from the pig trough.

Sorry, but what exactly are you angry about with this part of the rant? That people who worked on the game need to be paid? That a company wants to make money off their work and investments?

I can understand being upset at changes like needing steam, but to use that as a platform for misdirected anger is a bit much for such a loyal customer, no?

• 5 months later...