⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Worst writing in the game?

Jakoporeeno

Miraak keeps stealing muh souls...

He never did that with me. Turns out, that's actually a game breaking bug that makes him impossible to defeat, go figure.

But even if he did, I'm not sure it would have bothered me much. By the time I got to him, my character had well over a hundred dragon souls. Like, what the heck am I supposed to do with them all anyway? I could have maxed out all the shouts in the game and still have plenty to spare.

Anyway, the question is: Why is he stealing your dragon souls? What is his motivation for doing that, aside from "being generically evil-ish"? It's never explained.

Not sure if this is canon or something I came across on /r/teslore, but I think he's trying to gain enough strength to break free from Miraak by accumulating souls.

You mean from Hermaeus Mora?

The impression I got was not just break free but to ascend. He has his four smaller mind control pillars and is using them to obtain labour to build a much much larger version that would likely be able to control the entire region if not the world (and even if just the entire region, he could use it to build more temples and/or even larger temples to control the world). As an ancient Dragonborn, he could likely defeat Alduin on his own if need be.

As such he is indeed a very significant threat to the world.

Edit: That said the cultist thing just seemed strange. You sort of encounter them, they lead you directly to him and it is pretty straight forward from there. No real mystery at all.... and as stated above he seems surprised to meet you, so who exactly sent the cultists? And why?

Edited by kimmera

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miraak keeps stealing muh souls...

He never did that with me. Turns out, that's actually a game breaking bug that makes him impossible to defeat, go figure.

But even if he did, I'm not sure it would have bothered me much. By the time I got to him, my character had well over a hundred dragon souls. Like, what the heck am I supposed to do with them all anyway? I could have maxed out all the shouts in the game and still have plenty to spare.

Anyway, the question is: Why is he stealing your dragon souls? What is his motivation for doing that, aside from "being generically evil-ish"? It's never explained.

Not sure if this is canon or something I came across on /r/teslore, but I think he's trying to gain enough strength to break free from Miraak by accumulating souls.

You mean from Hermaeus Mora?

Edit: That said the cultist thing just seemed strange. You sort of encounter them, they lead you directly to him and it is pretty straight forward from there. No real mystery at all.... and as stated above he seems surprised to meet you, so who exactly sent the cultists? And why?

they probably tried to take initiative only to die at your hands.

• 2 weeks later...

The minions are all mind controlled. There is no indication of any of them having any free will. It makes no sense at all.

Actually, the cultists acted very differently from the enslaved islanders. Everyone under Miraak's mind-control were in a deep trance, mumbling random phrases and generally acting like sleepwalkers.

The cultists on the other hand still had all their faculties and seemed to simply be regular henchmen tasked to oversee the project in Miraak's place. There was never any suggestion that they were being controlled as well - they were just a bunch of evil mages in spooky masks.

The minions are all mind controlled. There is no indication of any of them having any free will. It makes no sense at all.

Actually, the cultists acted very differently from the enslaved islanders. Everyone under Miraak's mind-control were in a deep trance, mumbling random phrases and generally acting like sleepwalkers.

The cultists on the other hand still had all their faculties and seemed to simply be regular henchmen tasked to oversee the project in Miraak's place. There was never any suggestion that they were being controlled as well - they were just a bunch of evil mages in spooky masks.

But there was no clear explaination of their role either, nor any communications between them and Miraak. They just seemed like a mechanism to get the DB to the region, and the writers then pretty much ignored them...