New distribution permissions options for all files

Dark0ne

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modder rights...wahhhh...

There is no legal standing in U.S. law that prevents any mod from being copied, redistributed, compiled, or derivative works be made from. None. Zero. Especially after you agreed to the EULA.

Further more many of these works are based off of copyrighted material. E.G.CM Xenomorph (from aliens), Predator Race, Ivy Armor, etc. There are also works derived from the public domain (nobody owns the shape/color/etc of a long sword). I find it odd that the site has no compunctions in allowing people to reproduce from actual copyrighted material and then enforce those peoples "rights" so they can't be "ripped off"

Having said that I can understand not allowing certain actions for the good of the community. I was told I couldn't use someone's mod and I'm not. (Even though the people he borrowed from all said I could) But if a mod is no longer supported, no longer updated, dead, the maker is no longer responding, the maker is no longer modding for the game, etc, then any element of that mod or modders unsupported works should be free game.

Modder rights...wahhhh...

There is no legal standing in U.S. law that prevents any mod from being copied, redistributed, compiled, or derivative works be made from. None. Zero. Especially after you agreed to the EULA.

Further more many of these works are based off of copyrighted material. E.G.CM Xenomorph (from aliens), Predator Race, Ivy Armor, etc. There are also works derived from the public domain (nobody owns the shape/color/etc of a long sword). I find it odd that the site has no compunctions in allowing people to reproduce from actual copyrighted material and then enforce those peoples "rights" so they can't be "ripped off"

There may be no legal law against it, but you will still be very banned here if you try to release someone's work sans permission.

Dark0ne,

Thank you very much for making these changes. I will be sure to bring them to Exnems attention. I have no doubt that he will be glad to hear of these changes. It has been a perennial problem that because his oblivion body does not use the standard open license, the difference between the two licenses is not often noted. His original license needs to be included in all mods derivative of his body.

Thank you,

Storm Raven

Chief Administrator of Exnem's Body Works

would you please point to where in the eula it says authors lose (or never had) the ownership rights of their work? (or should i say "of work created", since you don't believe what "they" create is actually "theirs"?) would you be so kind as to show us where in copyright law it states that intellectual property which is implemented into a video game loses its status of intellectual property and thus its protection of copyright, regardless of who put it there? would you mind telling us where it says that only the work's which are made by corporations and businesses are "actually copyrighted material", and that copyright protection is not in fact extended to every person and entity that lives and operates under these laws, for all works they produce?

i don't know what you base this theory of yours on, but it doesn't come from knowledge of u.s. copyright law or what it in truth protects. even if it did, i would still have to ask what makes you think u.s. copyright law is the "be all end all" for a game that was released internationally, and modded on a site hosted in the u.k. with a world-wide audience. i'm afraid the merit of bethesda being a company based in america only goes so far.

many of these works are based off of copyrighted material... There are also works derived from the public domain (nobody owns the shape/color/etc of a long sword)
you are correct that you can't copyright the concept of a red sword, but if you're going to have a red sword in something that you release then YOU have to make it or have permission to use the one you did. you can't just take someone else's red sword and say "long red swords can't be copyrighted", and you can't just turn someone's steel sword red. the design of the sword and the artwork itself is copyrighted, it's merely the "concept" which is not. most importantly though, "accessible to the public" does not mean "public domain".
I find it odd that the site has no compunctions in allowing people to reproduce from actual copyrighted material...
just because you see someone do it doesn't mean it's allowed. the nexus does not allow or defend such things, and will punish rather than protect when this is actually the case; report it if you see it.
I was told I couldn't use someone's mod and I'm not. (Even though the people he borrowed from all said I could)
if you use ONLY the materials that you've made yourself or that the original author created (and permitted you to use), then you can bypass the middle man altogether and upload your version IF you don't use any of the edited or added resources that the middle man (who did not grant permission for you to use) had in his mod. also you didn't clarify, but if by "use" you mean "for your own use" and not "to upload or distribute it to others" as well, then you don't need permission for that anyway. copyright is "the right to produce copies", not "the authority to tell people how they can use the copy they have".
Modder rights...wahhhh... if a mod is no longer supported, no longer updated, dead, the maker is no longer responding, the maker is no longer modding for the game, etc, then any element of that mod or modders unsupported works should be free game.
"opinions" are great and all, but the fact is that this isn't even close to what authors agreed to when they decided to share their work.

you might find the concept of modder's rights ridiculous, but even in your "view" of things, somebody possesses "the rights". either the people that created and own the work have "the rights" (behold- logic), or the people who have merely been given access to the work have "the rights" (the supposed "rights" to treat anything they want as "fair game"). when someone possessing no rightful claim believes that they have more right to something than the owner does however, we simply call that a misplaced sense of entitlement.

my question to you is why should anyone have respect for what is claimed to be user's "rights" if the users have no respect for (or even acknowledge) author's rights?

Edited by holbrook

:blink: I find myself agreeing with most of the points holbrook makes in the post above (or below depending on where you are reading this)....*checks to see if the world came to an end* j/k :tongue: He makes a lot of good points in that last post....and I didn't fall asleep or find myself thinking TLDR either...much better holbrook. Edited by XTR3M368

I just want to mention that this site is (most likely) under British laws and not U.S laws, so I don't understand why people are talking about U.S laws all the time?

I also want to say that I totally agree with you on your last post, Holbrook!

And MrFlesh; As you haven't uploaded any work on any of the Nexus Sites, I think this quote of yours "Modder rights...wahhhh..." is a little inappropriate - As you aren't touched by this right at all, and would have very little to say on the matter.

I have to agree with holbrook here. Up untill now, everything i've read has been very concrete: "no permission = no upload". Agree or not, it was the rule. Now it's suddenly "well, if the author disappeared and you can't locate him, it may be ok, we'll see, case by case basis..." Speaking as someone who is learning to mod and would like to see his future work protected, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.