Killing Mr House option way too radical?

MerceAR

I infinitely prefer House to the other choices. He represents a kind of stability the other factions don't have at all. Caesar is dying and brutal, NCR is a bureaucracy, and the other factions are too weak. House can live forever, has access to a peacekeeping army, and wants to let people live their lives so long as they don't threaten New Vegas. Besides, House is elusive. He never makes "public appearances", so obviously he isn't interested in fame. He is interested in keeping humanity alive and happy, and he manages to do so quite well in the New Vegas strip.

As for him killing the Brotherhood of Steel, I don't particularly like that, but I see no other way to deal with them. Their pseudo-knightly nonsense is nothing more than a coverup for how they obsess over pre-war technology.

As for him killing The Kings when he consolidates his power, it isn't his fault. If The Kings hadn't tried to keep their hold on Freeside, he would have allowed them to live, and they probably would have prospered.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no clear cut "good guy" to back.

Out of all the confusion, one guy gets the idea. That's the point of fallout. There aren't good guys and bad guys, just people doing what they can to get by. The NCR is in vegas for electicity and water to supply it's booming population, the legion is destroying what it sees as degenerates, the Brotherhood view wastelanders as ass-backwards yokels who would destroy everything if left with pre-war weaponry and House is in it to further his own goals. You can chose who you think is right, or say none of them are and take over yourself. This is the point.

there is no clear cut "good guy" to back.

Out of all the confusion, one guy gets the idea. That's the point of fallout. There aren't good guys and bad guys, just people doing what they can to get by. The NCR is in vegas for electicity and water to supply it's booming population, the legion is destroying what it sees as degenerates, the Brotherhood view wastelanders as ass-backwards yokels who would destroy everything if left with pre-war weaponry and House is in it to further his own goals. You can chose who you think is right, or say none of them are and take over yourself. This is the point.

yea pretty much but fallout 3 is probably the first fallout some of these people played period, where lines were more clearly drawn and some factions were not portrayed in a pure fallout fashion, like the BoS in fo3 was clearly the good guys, and enclave were clearly the bad guys, and you were whatever and it do not make a spits difference to the game or the story.

many games have a good and a bad guy and fonv does this in a very muddy way depending on your world outlook and morals either of the factions could come off looking good or evil even the legion when taken in a certain light can seem not all bad. NCR is you got a faith in bureaucracy and the vote, and house if you think a grand vision of the future is what humanity needs and capitolism rules all, and the BoS if you think that yea a good chunk of humanity are knuckle dragging cavemen that would blow themselves to hell and back if they got the chance, or at the very lest do so to their neighbors.

I don't have any problem with the factions being "grey", but what bugs me is that if you work with all the factions more or less equally, you can gain a pretty good reputation with all of them. (other than the legion of course, and you can keep neutral with them for a long time). Most of the factions aren't really at odds with each other, perhaps not in full agreement, but not shooting on sight either. I could easily imagine the NCR, BoS, and House coming to an agreement very similar to the one that exists, and teaming up against the legion. Especially with the Courier keeping the diplomacy open. After I completed the BoS missions, i really had the impression that they liked me a lot, and would've at least listend to waht i had to say. Same with NCR. I would love to see a mod that allowed you to convince House that the brotherhood was no threat to him, and back that up by convincing the brotherhood to leave House in peace. The NCR could still Govern the area, allowing House to keep control of the strip as long as he behaved. They could continue to support the followers and thier good works, and even allow the brotherhood free reign out in the wastes. The courier would be in a fantastic position to negotiate the treaty, and all the factions would be able to do thier thing once the legion was put down. Seems to me to be the best way to maintain stability in the region, and cause the least collateral damage.

One thing that's pretty telling to me is that no matter what else you do, the other factions will not be happy unless Mr. House is out of the picture. Yes Man and NCR want him "dealt with," and Caesar just plain wants him dead. Whether he really is or not, he is at least the biggest perceived obstacle to all the other groups in this game.

To me Yes Man was just a proxy for yourself. You take out House but keep his power and ability for yourself with Yes Man working for you instead of Benny. So I sided with myself. Then again I can't finish the game as Legate won't leave his tent so haven't seen what happens at the end.

I just met Mr House last night.... saved my game, opened the terminals to his bubble, yanked him back into the world, and punched him till chunks started flying. After a good laugh, I then reloaded the game to play through the story.

It's just good to know I have an option available if he makes me mad. :thumbsup: