Fallout New Vegas Multiplayer

timtheundertaker

Multiplayer?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a multiplayer mod.

2. 2. Do you think my changes could work if there were to be a multiplayer mod?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that maybe to level up in multiplayer(I know it's a long way away)that you could earn experience just like the vanilla game ,but you would be awarded different player models or guns or something like that instead of tracking your level.Is it a good idea?

No one coded anything even virtually close to connecting two players. No need to even talk about ideas yet.

I almost got 3 people. the problem Is that when you connect you can't see each other so a PC had to be bound to your character causing lag for the other person to constantly being updating the npc`s state. another problem was save games had to include the other guys saves. I say guys because the only people who would render were male.

I almost got 3 people. the problem Is that when you connect you can't see each other so a PC had to be bound to your character causing lag for the other person to constantly being updating the npc`s state. another problem was save games had to include the other guys saves. I say guys because the only people who would render were male.

Proof? For someone to flawlessly code it and not have females is unlikely and I would go as far as saying that you are not telling the truth.

Edited by antonkr

Most of these changes would require access to the actual source code of the game, the G.E.C.K. is very limited concerning game mechanics. It would probably be easier to create a multi-player Fallout game from scratch then trying to change this one.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but don't get your hopes up.

This all the way. If you've ever mod this game before, you'd understand how almost impossible it is to ever make a multiplayer component. That applies to about half of the things you listed as your problems/solutions.

• 4 months later...

Its totally possible... Grand theft auto San andreas has a multiplayer modded, and its was really good before.. more than 250 servers, more than 300 players, players limit more than 126 on a server, no lag, all the whole map, server list not like gta III and Vice City, (you do not need ip)

So yeah its possible!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen many attempts to mod the NetImmerse/Gamebryo engine to be multiplayer. The attempts stretch back to the time of Morrowind.

None of them have succeeded so far.

The reason is that even tho it's original name directly implies the ability to go online, these pieces of the engine were turned off early in development. There is no support for a central server architecture, which is absolutely 100% CRUCIAL for any game to have a coherent multiplayer experience.

This means that the entire server architecture must be built from the ground up for a game system which is so hacked together and poorly documented (publicly at least) that game stability becomes nearly impossible. And this is by amateur enthusiasts, not gaming professionals.

After that is "completed" (it hasn't been), one would then have to hack the existing game to change the positions of hundreds if not thousands of objects and mobs at the same time for every user every frame. On an engine that doesn't even have it's runtime offsets for data clearly demarked or documented in any way.

Failure to do this process right at any step will cause an already buggy game to crash. Skipping the Server step will lead to each player who logs in existing in a completely separate world. That molerat you're fighting? Nobody else sees it. You're just shooting at nothing (or missing some other molerat which you can't see)

==

The only thing I ever saw that could work is a hotseat mod, in which one player is "host" and the other is "companion"... literally they take control of a companion NPC and control it's movement and actions through hotkeys.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should all go with diablo 2's free roam where you might be playing multiplayer but you could walk off and ignore them.

Set a cap of 4-8 players.

Allow people to all band together in a party or solo it.

When someone picks up an item it is randomly given to a player based off of the number of items in a persons inventory (the person with less has a slightly higher chance of getting it)

When a quest item is picked up everyone gets it.

Also this mod would require a cheesey name like... Muti (mutant) player ha ha..... What..?