Immortal music

Balagor

Inspired by @Push` "Imagine" thread I though upon this.

We all know the famous classic composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Hayden, Bach, Händel, etc.

Even if you go to very remote places of the world, these names are known amongst the majority of the population.

Today their music is still played all over the world, interpreted by various conductors. Their names are even

subjects to history lessons in schools at all levels.

200 years ago you needed talent, a rich father and a high level person like a king or a count to support you, to become a composer.

If you had no support, you would not stand a change, you would only play at the local markets.

Today the princips are a little different. Anybody with a voice or a $100 guitar, can join one of the numerous talentshows, and win. But will they be remembered?

Great stand alone composers might have a chance, if they made history, and at the same time a song we wont forget.

Janis Joplin, who burned down on uppers an Southern Comfort will stay connected with Merzedes Benz, and be remembered as the greatest rock-diva ever. She might be a candidate.

Pink Floyd, was in the beginning meant to be a non commercial club band. As we know by now, it did not turn out that way. They managed to connect theater and music in a way, that will be remembered.

As long as you can get "Another brick in the wall" for your cellphone, they are good candidates too.

John Lennon, who created a peace movement, many events and lots of songs that still hang in our ears.

Their will probably be many other from my generation, Beatles, Stones, etc.

When it comes to the current generation, the number to pick from is huge, and the candidates are likely to disappear in the crowd. I like todays music, but I will leave it to you to find the candidates.

Will todays music and composers still stand after 200-250 years? And who? And why?

Like you said my friend there are hundreds of candidates nowadays. There are many that have great talent out there in the music business, but the ones that actualy have a chance to gain imortality are the ones from countries like USA, England, France, Germany etc(the list is not so long, at least in my opinion). For those, let's say, not so lucky that where born in countries such as mine to give an exemple, well they would have to be incredible or almost imposible talented in order to gain their place in music's history. They would also have to make songs in English or others languages that are "global" or international in order to have more succes. It's not imposible, just a lot harder for them, at least in my opinion.

To mane some that in my opinion will be remembered, I will start with Enimem, becouse he is the first that came into my mind when I thinked about famous music artists. I would like to point out, that in my country the generation that was born durring and after 1989 speaks are mostly English speakers and even German, but after Romanian, English is around here our second language at least for people who live in towns. So we are very influenced by what goes on in England and America. We watch movies without Romanian translation, just with subtitles, we listen to music in English, even I listen more songs in English than in Romanian. Not that I don't like the artists we have here, it's just that lately all have songs in English. We also learn English from 2nd grade and before that at least I, we watched cartoons in English. Older generations however(my mom, wich is not old at all, 39) are more into German and French and our grandparents are more into Russian. That's why I can name quite a few artists from England and America, but very few from other places, such as Asia for example.

Others that I can thing about are, Shakira(why not?), SnoopDogg.

No matter how you look at things, music will always be present where people are present. :)

Cheers,

Pushkatu!

Ah! I hope we can come back and ad when we think of new one?

Led Zepplin, Tangerine is one of the most amazing songs ever.

Jimmy Hendrix...he could have set the world on fire.

Mr. Eric Clapton..who we all know...is god.

*grin*

I will be back

The Beatles (by name) and that will be already all in 200 years, I guess.

Nothing has a shorter existence than entertainment, or do you still listen

to the frakkin' music of your great-grandparents? I doubt that, folks of 2010.

The Beatles probably stand a decent chance, maybe Elvis as well. I'm really not sure about the others mentioned, I'm a huge fan of both The Who and Pink Floyd but can't really see their music being that well known in 200 years time.

Most will stand as defining pop culture in the decade at social studies but memorable for all? I don't think so... The Beatles, Elvis and Jackson might stand a chance as would ABBA and ACDC but it really depends. I don't really think that any could stand a chance with the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach and so forth as their music is so memorable to all that you don't even need to name it. Sure it's nice but I really don't know that they have the strength to carry it though for that long.

For me this is a fascinating topic. There is little that I cherish more than music. I find it hard to leave out many of my favorites. However, if I must be honest I believe that I have to look at those who really made dynamic changes to the music scene over the years if I want to consider those who might be considered "immortal".

Balagor, you have already mentioned the classical composers, and I absolutely agree with you there. In my opinion, they will be listened to for centuries to come. I believe that although I would like to choose some early American blues singers and writers (as they are among my favorites) I am not sure they will withstand the test of centuries, at least in terms of being listened to.

I think the next person who made a major change in music at least in the US was Frank Sinatra. I like him. although he would not be one of my very favorites. But I think he will be listened to for some time to come.

Then, we have Elvis Pressley who really did get rock and roll started, even though he was not the first nor the be best, by far. But, again I believe he will be listened to for a long time to come.

Bob Dylan certainly had a lot to say and said it better than most. Not sure though that he, personally will be listened to, but I believe his music will be.

Then we come to the Beatles. John Lennon and the boys said so much and their music has holding power in my opinion. I think they are here to stay.

Many of you have mentioned lots of other groups that I absolutely adore, but I just cannot be so sure that they will be listened to 200 years from now.

Just my opinion.