BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like this at all. Look at the sims community...so many mod authors charge in that community and it just creates a divide (as if that community wasn't dramatic enough). When mod authors separate from the community and become as bad as the big companies about wanting money...well it's not for fun anymore. The creators aren't a part of the community anymore at that point. To me, that's what modding is about. Creating content for the community by members of the community.

In response to post #24171439.

how about this scenario-

Instead of paying for mods on an individual level, why not instead have Steam host ads on participating mod authors pages (opt in only). A % of the money generated from that revenue stream can be given to the mod author per x1000s unique downloads count. Mod users can download the content for free but sit through ads, the mod author makes a little $$$, and Steam makes some $$$ ( okay more like $$$$$$$$) but you get the idea.

The reason this sort of deal works with the hat system for other games on steam is because those changes are cosmetic and dont change the gameplay of a multiplayer experience. In a single player game the potential is expanded because you dont have to worry about overall balance and fairness.

It could be similar to the youtube model, has the potential to be fair, and would be harder to manipulate and cheat the system. It would also be familiar in that context, and could be gradually increased and tweaked overtime to provide the best results.

-Natterforme Edited by Natterforme

In response to post #24171439.

how about this scenario-

Instead of paying for mods on an individual level, why not instead have Steam host ads on participating mod authors pages (opt in only). A % of the money generated from that revenue stream can be given to the mod author per x1000s unique downloads count. Mod users can download the content for free but sit through ads, the mod author makes a little $$$, and Steam makes some $$$ ( okay more like $$$$$$$$) but you get the idea.

The reason this sort of deal works with the hat system for other games on steam is because those changes are cosmetic and dont change the gameplay of a multiplayer experience. In a single player game the potential is expanded because you dont have to worry about overall balance and fairness.

It could be similar to the youtube model, has the potential to be fair, and would be harder to manipulate and cheat the system. It would also be familiar in that context, and could be gradually increased and tweaked overtime to provide the best results.

-Natterforme

Genius! The more ppl download, the more money you get from ads, like YouTube, ads and views. Thats a safer bet than actually paying for a mod that may or may not work for you(with other mods and so much more).

Now, How many mods will you be downloading at those prices? My guess is 10 or less for most people - which means that only the very best, the cream of the crop will be getting any downloads at all. And 99% of mod authors will have next to zero income from their mods.

You just described the game and film market in a nutshell. :tongue:

I'm still saying, >95% of mods would remain free because people like doing things for free (cite plugins for any software,) 3% would do pay what you will or donations, and -maybe- the top 1-2% would ever be for profit only, and those should need a public endorsement from the Developer/Publisher & Nexus.

I can't see a doomsday scenario in this. I can only see it getting better. Like Dark0ne said, half a million going into the servers alone... having some kickbacks from UG-DLC with 50-100k downloads, 5$/DL... even if there are only ever a handful of mods like that, even just 10 or 12 for any games, if Nexus takes 10%, Devs take 15-75% (UDK is at 15% of profits for indies making >25,000$/quarter,) then you're looking at the Nexus earning an extra hundred thousand dollars over the lifetime of a successful group of mods.

Only major, serious mods could and should ever apply for that. The idea that tiny tweaks would be paywalled is ridiculous. Who would pay for that? Donations and pay what you will would do great there. But a Weapon Pack with 5 totally original lore friendly guns with a professional quality mesh and textures and new sounds? Yeah, that's worth a 1$.

I just spent a month with 3 of my best online buddies, building a professional quality polished quest and level with all new 3D assets. I'm releasing it for free. Come on. Not everyone wants to do strictly for-profit work. Most mods would remain free. Even big ones.

We're only talking about a tiny minority of people capable or willing to do a for profit system, or a pay what you will system, to enhance a career that is probably already developing games while eating a cup o ramen in a one room apartment. Dozens if not maybe a couple hundred people. There are hundreds of thousands of hobbyists and users. We will always be outvoted. It's staking the work of a few dozens of people against the demands of a massive majority of tens of thousands who want stuff for free. Who doesn't want free beer?

Edited by Thaiauxn

Here is my opinion on the situation, as a novice Minecraft modder and eventually a Skyrim modder when I have more time. While I am all for the "Hey, your mod has lots of nifty features, have $5" type thing, and even Patreon and the like, PAYING for a mod is not a good idea. Modders SHOULD be doing this for fun (of coding and/or the end result), not for money. If they earn money from ads, donations, really anything that costs no money for the end-user, that's fine, but saying "I have x mod that does y, you can buy a copy for $7.50" is not. The community of people enjoying your work should be enough of a payment, and that is why I love modding. For example, for my Minecraft mod the license is pretty much following Wheaton's Law, my source code is up on GitHub, etc. because I do it for fun, not for profit or fame, fun, what modding should be about.

-Mortvana

I'd say 99% of my downloads are about exploring what a modder has created, appreciating their hardwork and seeing what it adds to the vanilla game. If I suddenly had to pay for mods I suspect the only Skyrim mod I would have bothered with is Sky UI. That's the simple reality.

Great. Now even modding might be ruined by monetization. I believe that the hobby of gaming has suffered enough from one of the worst curses upon humankind. This evidence has been very prevalent in the last 5 years. Monetization and greed go hand-in-hand. Expect the mods to be released before they are ready for a quick cash grab. This is happening now with the games themselves! When you buy a mod, expect to get only a fraction of the mod. If you want the full mod you will have to submit to deception and purchase the rest labeled under "DLC."

I hope all individuals supporting the idea fail miserably and lose money in the process. If you have to be a greedy person, then do some of that despicable Patreon begging. Keep monetization out of modding, unless the benefactors are out to ruin the practice. What these people need is more common decency and sense, not money. The fact that one has access to a computer, free time, and little worries to interfere is not enough?

Valve taking 75% of the cut? Then what's the point!? If one wants more money they can attain more by doing what most people do. Get a debt slavery job or two.

TLDR - No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quit ******* in our sandboxes!

Edited by TokiWartooth1871

I read Dark0ne's post and I really began to fear for the existence of the modding community as it is today, I am not a modder and please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption, but I believe that what makes a person be willing to develop, perfect and implement a mod, and then on top of that release it for others to try and enjoy, is their enjoyment of a particular game, and the wish to let others enjoy it as well.

The main advantage of using mods as they are now is the possibility of changing many things in your games at your discretion. If the curated workshops take over modding, how long will it take for modders to become "freelancers" or "partners" of the developers?

And what will that do to the quality/quantity/independence/inovation of the mods they would produce? Personally I believe the greatest advantage of modding games like Fallout New Vegas is the freedom that any modder has to do whatever he/she wants to do with it. Because today we have mods for everything from companions to weapons and quests to new world spaces, not forgetting the choice we have to have naked people or slightly less naked people in our game. This sort of freedom has allow the most talented members of the modding community to produce content that in many ways rival or surpass the original content of the game. I undestand that the time and effort that these people have put into their labour of love should be compensated, if the modder thinks it would be fair to do so before releasing their mods, but I don't think that bringing those talented people under the "protection" of Steam is the best for modding. It may be the best for Steam (and I am not a steam hater), but it would damage the community I think, as not everyone would have the opportunity to play "that really awesome mod that just came out on the Nexus". Not to mention that those numbers that Dark0ne mentioned are super unfair since the modders do all the work and then get robbed of 75% of the money.

I am not against having payed mods, but I would not pay for a mod knowing that 75% of my money would go to people who had nothing to do with the development of the mod. If paying has to come at all, I think the Nexus should have a part in it, encouraging gamers to support the modders they think are worth it, while keeping prices at a reasonable level not to exclude anyone who loves modding, and not killing the free mods entirely. I would definitely be willing to donate to modders for their work, but not to Steam for modders's work, nor would I like to see companies controlling what mods get done or released. Once I buy the game they should not tell me how to play it.

Anyway in conclusion, I hope that if changes have to come, they preserve the free modding community, and the freedom of both the modder and the downloader to do what they think suits their taste better, instead of having to follow sanctioned mods, which I think really subvert the modding philosophy.