BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

I think a donate button should be added to the system (so that there are both options for the modder).

Falskarr and mods like it I would have no problem paying $10 for.

However $5 for wet and cold is absurd. sorry Isoku.

How many voice actors, story writers and artists did it take to make wet and cold ? $5 for it seems a bit absurd.

I might pay $1-2 for it.

Consider - many of us have 200+ mods in our modlists....

Suddenly you're talking about a $1000 game.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #23594139.

TRIPLEXH18 wrote:

Exactly my thought. All that mod authors would need to do is set up a bitcoin wallet and add the address to their mod's description here on Nexus. Now, even if someone who wants to doante a small tip to the modder does not own a single bitcoin, they could still just browse to a bitcoin faucet and use the authors address for a donation. It's usually only a fraction of a cent, but it adds up and if you really like a mod and have some bitcoins nobody stops you from payin more. I propose some official Nexus banner for mod that are free and will always be free along with a field where a bitcoin address for donations would go.

I think you guys should continue to support donations through pay pal and look at adding support for more donation pathways such as patreon and other alternatives.

It's ridiuculous to expect people to pay for mods on steam for prices that people charge for full games and official dlc (on sale or not), in the case of total conversions it could make sense since the amount of work that goes into a total conversion is comparible to making a full game on unity/UE4/CE3.

I would be happy to see valve remove the option of selling mods and add donation options within the steam ecosystem and give users rewards (such as badges and trading cards) for supporting mods. And in my opinion the only way valve will consider doing this is if you (nexus mods) do it first and do it well, you already have the support of the majority of the community of mod makers and mod players.

In response to post #24576159. #24588164 is also a reply to the same post.

xYelsom wrote:
Crazee73 wrote: Yelsom, go take a look at Wet and Cold. It's still up here on Nexus, but it's 6 versions older than the one on steam and the one on steam costs 5 bucks.

Hate to be a bummer, but that's exactly what's happening.

Wet and Cold remove a bunch of features to avoid being dependant on SKSE, so the Nexus version is better than the paid version.

I cant believe people are so innocent and naive!

The problem is NOT whether or not mod authors should be paid for their work, THATS NOT THE ISSUE.

The issue lies on the severe and dangerous repercussions of creating a new market of amateur and unregulated, uncontrolled pieces of software that offer no guarantees beyond the first 24 hours. That and how the doors are wide open for this to become a new Steam Greenlight fiasco. This has nothing to do with gratitude. This isnt just about mod authors getting paid, you are all acting like children!

You know, I've thought about this for a little while. Mod authors deserve payment, but since it takes forty or fifty mods to modernize a Bethesda game and make it challenging, I can't afford it. If people can afford to pay $60 for the game, $40 for two DLC's, and who knows how much for mod's then great. The mod authors should benefit. I just have a feeling they won't be benefiting from me.

Thank you Dark0ne for speaking out and sharing your opinion on this one. When I heard about money being involved for modders to release their mods on Steam Workshop, it made me absolutely sick, to say the least. (ANYONE MODDER) in the Modding Community should not fall victim to this, or it will destroy their/our true modding spirit and most likely everything else in the process. As the saying goes, Best Things in life are for free. My suggestion to those who have contacts in Media, Bethesda Softworks, Steam Valve, and others who want to introduce this monetary nonsense; Think This Through people, because nothing good can come out of this! Yes, some might make money, BUT IT WILL BE THE END OF THE MODDING COMMUNITY AND WHAT IT STANDS FOR!!! Personally, this has been the most negative NEWS i have received since I started modding Skyrim. It has really upset me that it has come to this, and all i can say is this;

What kind of World do we live in if we start charging users for MODS!