Where would you like to see the next Fallout set?

Zephyr2011

125 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to see the next Fallout take place?

• New England (Like FO3)
    • The Southwest (like New Vegas)
    • The Pacific Coast (Like FO1 and 2)
    • The Pacific Northwest
    • The Southeast
    • The Midwest
    • The West (ie: Rocky Mountain area)
    • Other
    • Another Country

People also need to realize the bombs that fell were smaller nukes then we have today...

I mean didn't house say it would have taken 100 something to take out Vegas and surrounding areas?

I doubt that China would have wasted bombs on small time areas like where I live, radioactive dust would most likely travel due to winds, but it should be fine overtime.

I just hope they don't put it in another desert, that messed it up so bad... I mean it doesn't even look like nukes fell! Everything looks like it just got taken due through the erosion of sand and wind...

Is anything really taken down? I am not sure if a entire building is fallen... Everything in the game seems to me like animals and humans doing crap and sand erosion.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wizard, you stablish as a fact things that depend TOTALY from where you are... I can say the same u said of all american cities, FO3 as an example, Washington has the White House and... a stone needle (not sure where)... and?

I can tell you more world reconozible objects from every city you said than in Washington (or Las Vegas) I have seen trought the game, for instance (again) Paris (and France) has lots and lots of "world" famous places and buildings, maybe more than anywhere.

Im not arguing in favor of any city because any argument in that way is just SUBJECTIVE.

Seriously, dont make that statements (about architecture and so) when its a SIMPLE point of view, nothing more. (sorry about my bad english).

Edited by kukenike

@kukenike, I think you are assuming I am in the US, and that's why I say these things. I'm not. It's not. I live in Europe, and of course this subject deals with where you are and it's subjective. What doesn't and what isn't? I have already said that. Actually, a lot of what you're saying goes along with what I'm saying. Of course, the big point is that it's not subjective. It's objective.

The real point is that nothing can go along with where you live. These things have to be recognizable to more than the people that have been to the place, like I already said. Paris isn't recognizable for the world audience as much as you would like to think. Most of its buildings are similar to many in Europe, and its iconographic architecture is limited. What do you want to add to the Eiffel Tower? L'Arc de Triomphe? That's visually Roman.

What defines how the world perceives the world, what the world sees commonly and as a whole, is what they see on television and in movies and on the internet. And no backdrop receives as much coverage as the US, that's why even people on the other side of the planet might recognize points of DC. Vegas a lot less, and in fact, it's not as good of a backdrop, though the dam gives a lot. Still...

And kukenike, don't try to insult me or what I'm saying as SIMPLE, as in stupid, and nothing more. It's not, and I'm certainly not, so I wouldn't go there if I were you. What I'm trying to get across is not complicated, though, and should be relatively easy to understand if you can take personal bias out of the way.

Post-Apocalyptia is the fall of man. Not the downfall of forests, or whatever, but the ruin of what man built. What we built is most easily seen in architecture because it's the most in-your-face aspect of our lives because it's all around us. It's what is left of ancient civilizations today. It's what was, is, and will be of the human endeavor in its most easily understandable form (aside from speech, math, and all the more ephemeral arts but thtat's another subject).

That's why a ruined building has psychological impact, and the more recognizable/emotionally-tied-in the building, the more impact.

@WizardofAtlantis

Not sure I can agree with you on that one. FO3 had a bunch of readily recognizable stuff, but not New Vegas. And even then, when I visited DC, I was more like "Hey, I saw that in FO3!" than the other way around. In all honesty, all it really has is the Hoover Dam....and something that is Vegas Strip-like. I'm sure London, Beijing, Paris, or Rome would be more recognizable for me.

I don't think the architecture needs to be immediately recognizable save for a few landmarks. The semi-famous stuff becomes something for the player to discover.

Yes, that's exactly it! Vegas does fall by the wayside and has less to offer because of its non-licenseable architecture. Your comment about DC, though, misses what I was trying to say. It's not based on where you have been, as that obviously raises the emotional charge of the geography for you, but just on what you've seen. Your example, that it was nice visiting after the game, is exactly this but in reverse.

Most everyone wants to see it where they live, where they like, or where they have visited, and that's a complicated matter if you want to have psychological impact for millions of people with different lives, habits, etc. The only one place they have in common is Hollywoodland/Televisionland.

See, you already recognized some of the big landmarks of DC even never having been there first. That's the power of the media, movie and news coverage mostly, for the last fifty years. It makes these things recognizable for people who haven't been there. Vegas is less recognizable, and in fact, I think it's a minor setting. Still, I think they're on their way West to one of the most recognizable places to call home...Hollywood(land).

This game and the movie Showgirls is probably the closest I will ever get to seeing Vegas. The city just doesn't have any interest for me at all. I could name more recognizable places of interest in London or Paris than I could Vegas or DC, for that matter. Apart from the buildings at the Mall area in F3, DC could have been any other city for me. And I'm an american. That being said, I love the games. F3 more than New Vegas just because I thought they handled the setting a lot better. I certainly have my preferences of where I would like to see the next game set. I have no interest in Hollywood at all but I'm certain I would enjoy the game just fine if it was done right.

What I mean with "SIMPLE point of view", was that its "ONLY your point of view" about that matter.

Just what is everyone else writing about here, anyway, in your opinion? You seem to be taking this personally and think I'm obliquely attacking your point of view so therefore you have to point out that it's only my point of view in a rather defensive manner. So? That's only your point of view, too. It's only everybody's point of view. It's always (and only) everybody's point of view. Can't really get around that one... :wallbash:

in the discussion of should, could, would, and maybe will, I only added some criteria into consideration that go beyond personal preference, lifestyle, travel experience, where one lives, etc. I haven't even said yet where I would like to see the next game, only where I thought the designers will take it based on considerations of this, that, and the other thing.

You know, there's a reason why in Planet of the Apes, Charlto Heston finds what he does at the end of the movie. :nuke:

Ah! A pining for attention I have for a simple matter that I have been stuck in. A warring of ego's; Who is wronger and who is correcter. It's more fun to watch then to be caught up in and that I assure you all who have had it happen too...to you with a bit of chagrin. :biggrin:

:verymad: :turned: :teehee: :tongue:

Ok, wizard, I think I see what you are saying.

in that respect, dc is actually pretty hard to beat. I had never been to dc prior to playing fo3, but there was enough visibly recognisable stuff, even if I wasn't sure of the name. Peoples' perception of the world is largely shaped by media exposure, which means most peoples' knowledge of the world are composed of landmarks and monuments.

Pagafyr also makes the great point that being the political nerve centre of the worlds biggest power added a lot to the atmosphere.

I still maintain that all you need are a couple of recognisable elements. Paris for instance has the eiffel tower, louvre, champs de elysee, notre dame, and that'd be enough for major items. (paris, not being my personal choice, just an example)

It is perspective in the end. For you, domestic architecture in parts of europe isn't anything interesting. For me it'd be an interesting and immersive change from the bungalows in fo3 and nv.

Hollywood would be downright wacky, but interesting.

But I guess, as far as where the game should go, it should be something that the fallout history alludes to but we haven't seen yet. This basically means more America, Canada, or China.

I still maintain that all you need are a couple of recognisable elements. Paris for instance has the eiffel tower, louvre, champs de elysee, notre dame, and that'd be enough for major items.

That's what I think, too. All it has to be is a few things, but things that would stick out in a large portion of people's minds all over the world. I have my doubts that the Champs-Élysées or the Louvre would work as images. As recognizable names, yes, but iconic images...I dunno. Notre Dame is pretty impressive, too, but big gothic cathedrals abound in Europe. Sure, it's a fantastic one, but it is still one in a group of others, even if it's the top of the category.

And I love the domestic architecture in Europe, don't get me wrong. My point was that it has to be easily definable from city to city in order to establish, visually, that city. There are similar if not identical styles at times in Europe if, let's say, two cities in question have major architectural features that were built commonly in the 1700's, for example. Block after block of similarly-constructed, oh what would be the world, not palaces but, like, apartment/condo buildings. I didn't mean that it was uninteresting, but that there could be similarities for what was "popular at the time", and that was only to emphasize again the need for a few easily recognizable landmarks.