Doesn't use Gamebryo

Retribution

There's nothing wrong with the Gamebryo engine, it's what those Muppets at Bethesda do to it. Just look at Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, that doesn't crash constantly, it doesn't need to load every few feet, the animations are fluid and the game runs a lot smoother than any of Bethesdas efforts. Changing from human to dragon form and taking to the sky is seamless in Larians game, imagine trying to do that in Oblivion/Fallout, the scenery would take a week to load and then it would more than likely crash.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesn't need to load every few feet

???

Maybe I have a godly PC without knowing it but the only time I've ever had this problem with Oblivion is when I used the construction kit to hack my speed into thousands of points.

Oh it's there, it's nowhere near as bad as Morrowind was but it doesn't stream smoothly at all. There is a mod to remove the loading message, that wouldn't have been made if it wasn't an issue. It's doesn't really show so much now because the hardware has come on leaps and bounds.

I had a decent PC when the game was released, the clunkiness was horrible, as hardware improved it did get better. There's a thread around here somewhere about Gamebryo, someone posted some demo videos and it's hard to believe it's the same engine Bethesda use. Todd Howard made a big deal in an interview about how heavily Bethesda "modified" the engine, "vandalised" would have been closer to the truth.

There's nothing wrong with the Gamebryo engine, it's what those Muppets at Bethesda do to it. Just look at Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, that doesn't crash constantly, it doesn't need to load every few feet, the animations are fluid and the game runs a lot smoother than any of Bethesdas efforts. Changing from human to dragon form and taking to the sky is seamless in Larians game, imagine trying to do that in Oblivion/Fallout, the scenery would take a week to load and then it would more than likely crash.

Divinity II... not... buggy...? For some, that game crashed all the time, until they came out with an update to the game, but the problem was, you had to buy this upgrade.^^

You do know that The Dragon Knight Saga is simply a remake of Divinity II: Eco Draconis, right? They polished the game, then managed to somehow fool enough people into thinking it was a new game, and sold the... more or less.. PATCH to people.

And of course the game runs smoother in the open world, and that's because it's NOT an open world! You load between different worldspaces, so the game don't have to load those cells far away, whereas Oblivion and Fallout 3 is one big worldspace.

And changing from human form to another form works seamless in Oblivion as well - that depends on the animations made.

it doesn't need to load every few feet

???

Maybe I have a godly PC without knowing it but the only time I've ever had this problem with Oblivion is when I used the construction kit to hack my speed into thousands of points.

Oh it's there, it's nowhere near as bad as Morrowind was but it doesn't stream smoothly at all. There is a mod to remove the loading message, that wouldn't have been made if it wasn't an issue. It's doesn't really show so much now because the hardware has come on leaps and bounds.

I have to agree with Zaldiir. Divinity 2 was buggy. I mean heck I beat it on the PC and part of me wishes there was mods. Yes that is right I said mods. The only mods I have seen were texture mods, but they didn't work for the Version I bought at the store. Divinity 2 DKS was OK but as Zaldiir said the areas are not open-world. They are more like Borderlands style.Love how people use the excuse that Divinity 2 was less buggy and stuff in reality it isn't. And for the fluid and loading part. Odd that my old computer seems to disagree. And sheesh that thing is old.

Zaldiir you are wrong about one thing though. Eco Dragonis had only the regular first part of the game. People complained that the ending sucked. (In all standards I think they said that because good always wins. In the regular game evil wins and its over.) DKS was introduced it allowed the playing after Eco Dragonis and had a better ending where good wins. Still both games were immensely buggy for me. I had to buy the 360 version just to play through the end almost every time. (Had glitches on the PC that made me unable to continue. 360 did as well but they were very rare.)

I actually never had problems with DKS. No bugs or crashes, nothing.

The game was absolutely stable, looked great and is still one of my favorites.

Only thing bad about it is that it was unbalanced.

One thing is sure, gamebryo has a brain and chooses on which PC's it won't crash and on which ones it will.

Fallout 3 was a crash fest, literally it crashed every 30 minutes. While New Vegas crashed only once or twice and I'm 200+ hours in it.

Then the strangest thing, Oblivion was crashing like mad 2 months ago, now I didn't get one crash.

I'm sure happy Skyrim won't be using it.

Several things. BGS may not even have to continue licensing and pay per title.. Emergent offer something called a perpetual license. I have a little suspicion they had one with Ob.

This idea that the creation engine may contain a few lines of GB code is not entirely unfounded. <they are using the nif format. This means that some of the library of object components remains intact. Unless they rewrite it. But that is doubtful imo.Anyway that is just data structure that contains vertex and material data(BTW the shader code implemented in F3 was all BGS tech.)

The Scene graph is probably all new. The renderer is probably all new. The animation engine is probably all new.

Several things. BGS may not even have to continue licensing and pay per title.. Emergent offer something called a perpetual license. I have a little suspicion they had one with Ob.

This idea that the creation engine may contain a few lines of GB code is not entirely unfounded. <they are using the nif format. This means that some of the library of object components remains intact. Unless they rewrite it. But that is doubtful imo.Anyway that is just data structure that contains vertex and material data(BTW the shader code implemented in F3 was all BGS tech.)

The Scene graph is probably all new. The renderer is probably all new. The animation engine is probably all new.

Eurogamer: "Is it fair to say then that it's based on existing technology?"

Todd Howard: "The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that."

I am sure you guys remember this? From this it is new. But a lot of the Engine is based off of Bethesda's version of Gamebyro.

Edit: forgot to quote it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/whistling.gif