Skyrim modding in 2015 still not as good as oblivion modding in 2010?

YngvieMalmsteen

I'd say there are a lot of great mods on the site, but I'd call Skyrim far emptier and more boring than Oblivion or its landscape ever was.

Exactly, the mods are actually getting better and better imo, the base game itself gets worse and worse with each iteration. xD

And yet, theres only so much a modder can do.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the lack of some sort of a 'Creation Kit Extender' for Skyrim could also cause issues with mod quality? Someone in this thread mentioned the CK being 'unstable' and such. In my opinion, the CK is a pain to use and creating mods with it is neither as fun nor as easy as with the Construction Set using shadeMe's Construction Set Extender. Should shadeMe some day release a CKE, perhaps people previously unwilling to create mods would make all their ideas come true. I have some ideas, but the CK keeps me from making them happen. Building a simple cave, for example, is not as easy as with Oblivion. And the fact that they changed the scripting language, rendering almost everything learned about scripting in Oblivion useless, might indeed result in some modders spending time learning the new things instead of starting to make mods. Having to read half the Creation Kit Wiki just to get an idea of how scripts work and how they interact with references and such is not fun, but I am willing to do it. The Creation Kit is the main issue, I think.

So, perhaps it is just me, but fighting the CK just to make mod idea of a larger scale than NPCs happen is not worth the trouble for me. At least not yet. Should there ever be a Creation Kit Extender, however, I would certainly make my ideas come true. There is a Creation Kit Extender page in GitHub, so I would say I am optimistic about getting one some day. :smile:

Edit: And there is really no hurry moving to Skyrim, as Oblivion is still here and it is not going away for quite some time.

Edited by PhilippePetain

I can't speak to the quality of Skyrim mods vs. Oblivion mods in toto, in part because I'm not even sure what metrics we're supposed to be using here. But I can tell you why I personally use fewer mods for Skyrim than for Oblivion.

Skyrim started out as a better game. A lot of mods I used for Oblivion were complicated, often buggy attempts to add functionality that Skyrim had fom day 1. I'm talking about stuff like shield bash, sprinting, dual wielding, crafting, etc. I also had to willfully ignore a lot of "features" (e.g. almost all conjuration and restoration spells) of Oblivion's magic system or the game became so easy it was a joke.

Lofgren, i think you may have just not been using the right mods. With Midas Magic, Supreme Magicka, and L.A.M.E (yes, all 3 work great together), oblivion magic is very fun and balanced, not overpowered. Especially when you are using FCOM which makes the enemies a lot tougher. As far as your skyrim features adding to oblivion, let me tell you that the only mod you need in oblivion to make combat better than it will ever be in skyrim with any mod (because of engine limitations, as discovered by the man himself duke patrick) is duke patricks melee combat (no recoil) for oblivion. Sure, you don't have the fancy looking combat animations in skyrim but the combat itself has much more depth in mechanics and fighting style, and much more basis in realism. It has sprinting, by the way. And i don't know why you would want to add crafting as it makes skyrim way too easy but i think MMM and Maskar's oblivion overhaul add some kind of crafting system, i actually use both but i haven't quite figured out how it works yet or tried to really. Oh yes, maskar's oblivion overhaul is another great overhaul that works alongside FCOM perfectly and adds in a lot of really cool features, and it gets updated often in this day in age as well.

If I have to use eight specific mods in order to balance the magic system, one of which is actually just a patch to make four other mods work together nicely – a patch which would most likely not ever be required for Skyrim thanks to Papyrus and MCM – and was an absolute bear to install, couldn't run on many systems, and wasn't released from beta until 2008 – well, that pretty much proves my point, doesn't it?

Edited by lofgren

Perhaps the lack of some sort of a 'Creation Kit Extender' for Skyrim could also cause issues with mod quality? Someone in this thread mentioned the CK being 'unstable' and such. In my opinion, the CK is a pain to use and creating mods with it is neither as fun nor as easy as with the Construction Set using shadeMe's Construction Set Extender. Should shadeMe some day release a CKE, perhaps people previously unwilling to create mods would make all their ideas come true. I have some ideas, but the CK keeps me from making them happen. Building a simple cave, for example, is not as easy as with Oblivion. And the fact that they changed the scripting language, rendering almost everything learned about scripting in Oblivion useless, might indeed result in some modders spending time learning the new things instead of starting to make mods. Having to read half the Creation Kit Wiki just to get an idea of how scripts work and how they interact with references and such is not fun, but I am willing to do it. The Creation Kit is the main issue, I think.

So, perhaps it is just me, but fighting the CK just to make mod idea of a larger scale than NPCs happen is not worth the trouble for me. At least not yet. Should there ever be a Creation Kit Extender, however, I would certainly make my ideas come true. There is a Creation Kit Extender page in GitHub, so I would say I am optimistic about getting one some day. :smile:

Edit: And there is really no hurry moving to Skyrim, as Oblivion is still here and it is not going away for quite some time.

CK's unstable yeah but so was the CS. I never used CSE and didn't have much of a problem. The only thing I would change about the CK is stability (which can be somewhat fixed) and the fact you can't add perk trees. We complain but it's not THAT bad.

CK's unstable yeah but so was the CS. I never used CSE and didn't have much of a problem. The only thing I would change about the CK is stability (which can be somewhat fixed) and the fact you can't add perk trees. We complain but it's not THAT bad.

Perhaps not. Apologies to those who really like the CK. The Construction Set Extender just makes the CS so much better. The 'normal' CS without CSE is somewhat like the Creation Kit. I only really used the 'normal' CS a couple of times before I found the CSE. So the problem might also be me having been spoiled by the CSE... and not the CK or CS. After all, it is good that we have such a tool. Without there being anything to create content with, there probably would not be much user-created content, either... and I would have to find some other hobby to be able spend my free time in an acceptable, interesting and possibly somewhat creative way.

But, as it was said, having such a tool also means that there will be user-created content of various... umm... levels of quality. How is it said in English? Cannot have something good without something bad? Or evil? Perhaps evil is not the right word with mods, though. :smile:

Edit: Now that is a long quotation... perhaps I should not let making them become a habit.

Edited by PhilippePetain

<snip>

Perhaps not. Apologies to those who really like the CK. The Construction Set Extender just makes the CS so much better. The 'normal' CS without CSE is somewhat like the Creation Kit. I only really used the 'normal' CS a couple of times before I found the CSE. So the problem might also be me having been spoiled by the CSE... and not the CK or CS. After all, it is good that we have such a tool. Without there being anything to create content with, there probably would not be much user-created content, either... and I would have to find some other hobby to be able spend my free time in an acceptable, interesting and possibly somewhat creative way.

But, as it was said, having such a tool also means that there will be user-created content of various... umm... levels of quality. How is it said in English? Cannot have something good without something bad? Or evil? Perhaps evil is not the right word with mods, though. :smile:

Edit: Now that is a long quotation... perhaps I should not let making them become a habit.

I'm not saying I love the CK. But I couldn't use CSE because it crashed mine the first time I tried it. I'm sure it's better - but it's not that bad without it.

I haven't found the CK to be especially prone to crashing. Probably it depends on what kind of mod you are trying to make.

Agreed, put over 3,000 hours into Creation Kit so far and I only remember ever crashing once or twice and that was only when I was using the render window. More often then not I never use it.

If I have to use eight specific mods in order to balance the magic system, one of which is actually just a patch to make four other mods work together nicely – a patch which would most likely not ever be required for Skyrim thanks to Papyrus and MCM – and was an absolute bear to install, couldn't run on many systems, and wasn't released from beta until 2008 – well, that pretty much proves my point, doesn't it?

Doesn't really matter in my opinion, as nowadays it works fine and isnt very hard to install. And the fact still stands that its installed, and fixed. I'm not comparing vanilla skyrim to vanilla oblivion. i'm comparing modded skyrim to modded oblivion.