Skyrim modding in 2015 still not as good as oblivion modding in 2010?

YngvieMalmsteen

This kind of comment always infuriates me. Some people make these kind of mods, and then obviously that is all there is to it - ALL MODS EVER are like that. Really? Why even bother actually making mods without cheat weapons, anime and boobs if users won't even bother looking for them once they slip from the recent files list on the front page? :pinch:

*psst*

Because they only look for those! XD

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hundred mods that have nothing to do with boobs, hair, armour or graphics.

Combat overhauls, perk overhauls, tiny tweaks, big tweaks, new quests, new locations, new NPCs.

What is so much greater in these Oblivion mods? I never played it so I have no idea how it is soooooooooo much more superior.

Skyrim modding in 2015 is fine, despite Papyrus :)

Skyrim, however... I used to have 75% chance of CTD at Whiterun gates with no mods whatsoever, only official high-res texture DLC and a graphic setting too high. That was long time ago, on a weaker machine, with less recommended patches installed. But I understand it could be frustrating.

Your joking?

Oblivion had a lot of pretty questionable mods as well, I think the difference is that Skyrim just has that much more of it. With that said however, there are a ton of big content mods being worked on like; Rochebere, I am the King; New High Rock, The Beyond Skyrim Project, Issgard, Luftahraan, etc...
Understand that creating such heavy projects takes time, but even so, how many such large scale projects did Oblivion have?
There are many enjoyable mods for Oblivion, but I have yet to find one that I could compare to the size of say; Falskaar, which added a ton of enjoyable hours to my game.

Modding your graphics is only one side of modding, it does improve the experience heavily sure, but there are a great deal of other mods out there in other categories.

I can admit that your probably right about Tamriel being easier to mod, Oblivion also came out 2006 so it has had a lot more time to allow modders to get busy. I also think it has to do with the theme of Oblivion, where Skyrim goes for the whole barbaric nordic viking theme, Oblivion went for a much more common fantasy theme that I am sure modders found it easier to build upon. Being in the center might have made it easier to create lore stories, I don't know, personally I think Skyrim has the stronger overall background story, not to be mistaken for the main quest where I think Oblivion did better at its presentation. Many of the mods available at the Oblivion Nexus I find have very little to do with the lore and more to do with creating interesting stories in a particular medieval fantasy setting. There is nothing stopping anyone from creating such mods for Skyrim. I've also noticed that a lot of the mods available for Oblivion have to do with improving the games environments. Improving the cities, improving the landscape etc... Considering how empty Oblivion's landscape was it probably was very tempting for modders to create mods that fill the rather auto-generated area with content.

I've always loved Oblivion, play it now and then but I think we ought to take our nostalgia glasses off. It is not a better game then Skyrim, the land feels horribly empty, and the dungeons are repetitive. You have to mod it to the point that you crash every now and then to be able to have an enjoyable experience. However it did have its strong points where Skyrim comes out weak and uninspired.

If your upset with the lack of content mods for Skyrim, why don't you buckle down and create something yourself? The tools are available and the learning curve is easy. I admit there are a lot of simple mods on the Nexus, but the modders for Skyrim don't owe the community anything, and so there are quite a few projects that sadly get abandoned.

Your joking?

Oblivion had a lot of pretty questionable mods as well, I think the difference is that Skyrim just has that much more of it. With that said however, there are a ton of big content mods being worked on like; Rochebere, I am the King; New High Rock, The Beyond Skyrim Project, Issgard, Luftahraan, etc...

Understand that creating such heavy projects takes time, but even so, how many such large scale projects did Oblivion have?

There are many enjoyable mods for Oblivion, but I have yet to find one that I could compare to the size of say; Falskaar, which added a ton of enjoyable hours to my game.

Modding your graphics is only one side of modding, it does improve the experience heavily sure, but there are a great deal of other mods out there in other categories.

I can admit that your probably right about Tamriel being easier to mod, Oblivion also came out 2006 so it has had a lot more time to allow modders to get busy. I also think it has to do with the theme of Oblivion, where Skyrim goes for the whole barbaric nordic viking theme, Oblivion went for a much more common fantasy theme that I am sure modders found it easier to build upon. Being in the center might have made it easier to create lore stories, I don't know, personally I think Skyrim has the stronger overall background story, not to be mistaken for the main quest where I think Oblivion did better at its presentation. Many of the mods available at the Oblivion Nexus I find have very little to do with the lore and more to do with creating interesting stories in a particular medieval fantasy setting. There is nothing stopping anyone from creating such mods for Skyrim. I've also noticed that a lot of the mods available for Oblivion have to do with improving the games environments. Improving the cities, improving the landscape etc... Considering how empty Oblivion's landscape was it probably was very tempting for modders to create mods that fill the rather auto-generated area with content.

I've always loved Oblivion, play it now and then but I think we ought to take our nostalgia glasses off. It is not a better game then Skyrim, the land feels horribly empty, and the dungeons are repetitive. You have to mod it to the point that you crash every now and then to be able to have an enjoyable experience. However it did have its strong points where Skyrim comes out weak and uninspired.

If your upset with the lack of content mods for Skyrim, why don't you buckle down and create something yourself? The tools are available and the learning curve is easy. I admit there are a lot of simple mods on the Nexus, but the modders for Skyrim don't owe the community anything, and so there are quite a few projects that sadly get abandoned.

I promise you, it's not nostalgia glasses for me. I frequently play Skyrim and Oblivion nowadays, and despite what faults Oblivion may have, I still MUCH prefer it.

TBH, I've never, ever had a problem with emptiness in Oblivion. Nothing ever felt empty to me. Skyrim - definitely. It may be because Oblivion had about a dozen more varieties of creatures and waaay better quests, though. Or the fact that it's a lusher place, and Skyrim is meant to feel rather bleak. However, not everyone feels that way about Oblivion. ;)

Your joking?

I promise you, it's not nostalgia glasses for me. I frequently play Skyrim and Oblivion nowadays, and despite what faults Oblivion may have, I still MUCH prefer it.

TBH, I've never, ever had a problem with emptiness in Oblivion. Nothing ever felt empty to me. Skyrim - definitely. It may be because Oblivion had about a dozen more varieties of creatures and waaay better quests, though. Or the fact that it's a lusher place, and Skyrim is meant to feel rather bleak. However, not everyone feels that way about Oblivion. :wink:

I agree that the quests in Oblivion were better, but Oblivion always felt rather empty to me. There were only 10-20 or so quests outside of guilds and while the environment was brighter and more welcoming then Skyrim's hard and cold exterior, the land just felt empty and uninspired all the same. I also think Bethesda had an easier time creating the world for Oblivion, where everyone is pretty familiar and into the whole Medieval europe fantasy setting, and in Skyrim they had to think of a new way to create a world which is different, and not for everyone. In Skyrim Bethesda put a lot more effort into making the world interesting and I think they succeeded at this, though I honestly wish they would've put that much effort into making the quests as interesting. A dungeon in Skyrim can have a long back-story, you could bump into a NPC outside telling you he needs help inside or in some cases you simply face off against someone unique inside who has a few lines that makes you understand what it is you've crawled into.

Oblivion has its strong points, better stories, better cities, easier to get "Dragged" into and sit down and waste countless hours playing. However I still feel Skyrim is the stronger game as it remedies all of the problems Oblivion had. The land felt empty, not enough quests, as well as adding new features to the game. I just wish they would've kept the quality at what Oblivion was strong at, which were its quests and its cities in my opinion. When Skyrim first came out it was unplayable for me, because yes. It was bleak and not very inviting. I didn't however need that many alterations to Skyrim to get dragged in and enjoy it for countless hours.

It is sadly easier to fix the problems with Oblivion, adding new content, new landscape etc... then it is to fix Skyrim's problems where your only option is to create new quests, and to recreate most of the cities from ground up. Luckily Matthias you've started this work by creating new quests with your mod project. And I have started fixing on the cities. There is also a project called Better Cities Skyrim which also tries to make the cities more interesting. There is also JK, and ETAC who also work at making the cities better.

TBH, I've never, ever had a problem with emptiness in Oblivion. Nothing ever felt empty to me. Skyrim - definitely. It may be because Oblivion had about a dozen more varieties of creatures and waaay better quests, though. Or the fact that it's a lusher place, and Skyrim is meant to feel rather bleak. However, not everyone feels that way about Oblivion.

I kind of agree in a way. I like oblivion quests and monsters (deer were dump though.) But I like Skyrim landscapes and ruins more, it more rich. Oblivion caves were very bland and it was hard to tell one from the other.

But I think he means the landscape oblivion forests and plains......vast.

TBH, I've never, ever had a problem with emptiness in Oblivion. Nothing ever felt empty to me. Skyrim - definitely. It may be because Oblivion had about a dozen more varieties of creatures and waaay better quests, though. Or the fact that it's a lusher place, and Skyrim is meant to feel rather bleak. However, not everyone feels that way about Oblivion.

i agree here kinda. the world was empty to me and didnt have much life. but you had stuff to look at and explore. in Skyrim everything is just way to close together. im not saying empty is bad either, empty is actually something i want once in a while. you should run into dozens of things wanting to kill you every 5 seconds.

Skyrim has the same issue as FONV had, they used bandits and strong enemies to limit the path you can take (example: the death claw quarry anyone?) just so that the world seemed big. i dont like that at all, there is nothing wrong with having some trees to look at for a while. it isnt an FPS game it's an RPG you shouldnt have to fight all the time.

Eccy..thump..I remember when this ere place were hills as far as the eye could see..

I mean, for goodness sakes get over it!

This is a tool for you to make magic happen, and quite a fair few of you do exactly that on a regular basis. You make magic regardless of the tools.

There's a saying "only a bad workman blames his tools" (sorry Elonora..such proverbs were written pre'enlightenment)

Go forth and make magic!

Edited by skinnytecboy

I can't speak to the quality of Skyrim mods vs. Oblivion mods in toto, in part because I'm not even sure what metrics we're supposed to be using here. But I can tell you why I personally use fewer mods for Skyrim than for Oblivion.

Skyrim started out as a better game. A lot of mods I used for Oblivion were complicated, often buggy attempts to add functionality that Skyrim had fom day 1. I'm talking about stuff like shield bash, sprinting, dual wielding, crafting, etc. I also had to willfully ignore a lot of "features" (e.g. almost all conjuration and restoration spells) of Oblivion's magic system or the game became so easy it was a joke.