Skyrim modding in 2015 still not as good as oblivion modding in 2010?

YngvieMalmsteen

I think the point that has been made about quality requirements for skyrim mods is a valid one. Oblivion quest mods like Kraginers Death Quest, all the quests added by OOO and better cities etc didn't need voice acting to be good really good, better than vanilla quests in some cases. they didn't need fancy textures. So why is that the case with skyrim? for example, this mod looks quite cool http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64651/? but if you read it says he had to change the ending to not fit the lore because the voice actor didn't send his stuff in time. really? why can't we just read text like we did in morrowind and oblivion (modded quests)? Its another indication of skyrims community of people that use the mods. Casual crowds gotta have voice acting or its a no go i guess, probably the same people that want flip jump animations, and sexy girl characters. thats not roleplaying, thats just eyecandy!

Edited by YngvieMalmsteen

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let us assume for a moment that we are going to find the definate answer which game's modding scene is better, then what?

Its not really about which is better, i've stated my opinion and i'm just curious what others think about it and the subject in general, and why they think it etc. I'm not seeing this as a battle between two modding communities, just a discussion that probably should happen that i haven't seen happen yet.

Edited by YngvieMalmsteen

If I have to use eight specific mods in order to balance the magic system, one of which is actually just a patch to make four other mods work together nicely a patch which would most likely not ever be required for Skyrim thanks to Papyrus and MCM and was an absolute bear to install, couldn't run on many systems, and wasn't released from beta until 2008 well, that pretty much proves my point, doesn't it?

Doesn't really matter in my opinion, as nowadays it works fine and isnt very hard to install. And the fact still stands that its installed, and fixed. I'm not comparing vanilla skyrim to vanilla oblivion. i'm comparing modded skyrim to modded oblivion.

But I was explaining why FCOM and the seven other supporting mods you mentioned simply are not necessary for Skyrim.

Unmodded Skyrim is, mechanically speaking, a better game than modded Oblivion. Modded Skyrim is just that much better.

If I have to use eight specific mods in order to balance the magic system, one of which is actually just a patch to make four other mods work together nicely a patch which would most likely not ever be required for Skyrim thanks to Papyrus and MCM and was an absolute bear to install, couldn't run on many systems, and wasn't released from beta until 2008 well, that pretty much proves my point, doesn't it?

Doesn't really matter in my opinion, as nowadays it works fine and isnt very hard to install. And the fact still stands that its installed, and fixed. I'm not comparing vanilla skyrim to vanilla oblivion. i'm comparing modded skyrim to modded oblivion.

But I was explaining why FCOM and the seven other supporting mods you mentioned simply are not necessary for Skyrim.

Unmodded Skyrim is, mechanically speaking, a better game than modded Oblivion. Modded Skyrim is just that much better.

Unmodded Skyrim is, mechanically speaking, a better game than unmodded Oblivion. Modded Skyrim is, mechanically speaking, a MUCH better game than Oblivion.

I still stand by my opinion, however, that Oblivion is a better game unmodded than Skyrim either way, and a much better game modded. Skyrim is missing JUST about everything that's the most interesting for me in a game.

Of course that's all subjective so there's little worth discussing. We're all playing different mods and into different aspects of the game and the aspects that we're in to we like for different reasons and in different ways. Even mechanics are subjective although I think less so than other aspects of the game. Of course PerMa and Requiem prove that there is still plenty of room for different opinions though.

If you want to know what I don't like about Skyrim and Oblivion I would say:

The characters

The plot

The sidequests

The equipment

Most of the spells

Running around for hours because you can't fast travel to a location yet

Followers and companions

The mechanics (Even though Skyrim is leaps and bounds better than Oblivion both games are still kinda stuck in the '90s.)

I pretty much play these games BECAUSE I can mod them. And I always viewed them as skeletons that were meant to be dressed by modders. Without mods, both games kind of suck as far as I am concerned. I was pretty surprised when I first visited this forum, almost a decade after playing my first ES game, and discovered that people actually like these games for something other than a scaffolding to make modders' work easy to distribute.

It's obvious that I am not interested in the same things that a lot of the modding community is. I don't need ultra HD textures, I don't care about companions, computer-rendered boobies just don't do much for me. Even though game mechanics are a huge interest of mine I find that my tastes are poorly served by both PerMa and Requiem. So I find it a little perplexing when people complain about how there's nothing but cheat mods and anime derivatives out there. If I can find mods that please me without even looking too hard, when my tastes are obviously so different from the average player, hen what the hell are YOU looking for that is so hard to find?

So I kinda don't feel like debating which is the better game because as far as I'm concerned everything in both titles is kinda blah.

Nevertheless I reject wholeheartedly the OP's blanket statements about the quality of mods for Skyrim. The OP's statements mark him as somebody who is proudly and determinedly ignorant.

Where are the awesome mods like FCOM? You don't frakking need them! FCOM is only necessary because making mods compatible in Oblivion was an absolute nightmare until the OBSE team hacked the system to death. In Skyrim, you can just install Immersive Armors, Immersive Creatures, Immersive Weapons, PerMa, Apocalypse, and they all work together RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. At most you have to make a bash patch. There will never be an FCOM for Skyrim for the simple reason that stupidly complex workarounds to make mods work together are just not necessary.

Look, props to FCOM for what they managed to do. But this is like a Civil War soldier saying that modern armies suck because they don't have enough horses.

probably the same people that want flip jump animations, and sexy girl characters. thats not roleplaying, thats just eyecandy!

Christ. You had a perfectly good point and the f*#@ it up by bringing up something COMPLETELY UNRELATED

Those things have literally nothing to do with each other.

Can we attempt to have a conversation about modding that doesn't come back around to "but boobie armors are bad!"?

Please?

Among the things I dislike in both Skyrim and Oblivion, I forgot to list:

Voice acting

Cutscenes

I play with subtitles on and dialogue off so I couldn't care less about voice acting. I have never once heard a decent performance from a voice actor ina video game. It's not the actor's fault. They're performing opposite a cypher.

Give me Morrowind style dialogue any day.

I am with you on the scaffold thing, though not as drastic. I'd say Skyrim's "modability" is at least 70% of its value for me. It would not totally suck without that but, yes, it would be far far less of a game for me.

I'd say the voice acting is alright. I like the "female haughty" actress and the "male haughty" actor. Though there are some bad ones, yes...

AC4 is an example of excellent voice acting in a video game.

One thing I dislike about Skyrim (and also Morrowind, and I guess it is the same in Oblivion) is the whole spell system. Just buy your spells like groceries and then cast them? Lame.

Morrowind's spell system was pretty different. Spells had a chance of failure based on how different they were from your skill level. So the ability to purchase a spell was not sufficient to cast it. You could however purchase a spell and then go to the custom spell vendor and create a lower level version of the same spell. Thirty seconds is as good as 60 seconds when you are conjuring a ghost who is immune to all damage except from silver weapons, and nobody has silver weapons except legionnaires and you can chug infinite restore magicka potions.

I probably would have played unmodded Skyrim more than once. But probably not more than twice.

Edited by lofgren

I'd rather see something to the effect of bringing back mithril, chainmail and other silver weapons and armour such as the leather shield from Oblivion, all in one package. Yes, I'm aware of Weapons of the Third Era, but I'm yet to see a similar all-in-one package that adds other things that were removed from Oblivion, such as the other spells not present in Skyrim. Skyrim has been out for a few years now, there shouldn't be any excuse to not have something like this out there by now. Wouldn't take more than a team of several different modders pooling their resources, surely.