New patch?

JimboUK

This is real funny, in an ironic sort of way. I had just finished writing Bethesda a very long e-mail explaining to them how paying 59.00 + tax for New Vegas was a waste of my money. That was before I realized that I too had forgotten to shut off auto-updates on Steam and tried to launch the game through NVSE only to get the wrong version message. To no surprise to me, Steam is still insisting on patching the game even though I have auto-update turned off.

Using Steam was one of my biggest complaints to Bethesda, but I have still been experiencing CTDs and lockups due to memory leaks too. It is not as bad as it was with Fallout 3, but still, Bethesda's claim that New Vegas is compatible with Windows 7 is bogus. As for bugs, if you've made it to the strip and have completed any of the quests, you know that there are all kinds of bugs that need to be fixed. Bethesda is going to be patching this thing for at least the next couple of years. A lot of the new mods that are coming out are also replete with bugs, but that is a different story. We don't pay out the nose for mods and those mods don't take away control of our own machines as Steam and the ever growing intrusiveness of Microsoft's Windows OS. If you are thinking of getting Windows 7, my advice is... DON'T. The permissions system is all jacked up in Windows 7 and I have had to fight just to get peripherals installed and working right. Peripherals that I have to have for professional reasons, such as a Smart Card Reader... but I digress...

The following was taken from the Steam forums. An interesting read, to say the least. I guess they feel that our minds are too numb from the hours we spend gaming to know when we are being fed a line of Brahmin dung.

"As you may have seen, we released a patch over Steam for PC users last night. While we didn’t release a full changelist, the patch contains quest and scripting fixes. It’s not a minor hotfix, it contains over 200 fixes in all. We are in the final stages of testing this update on both 360 and PS3 and we hope to have them out to users very soon.

We are also pleased to say that we have just released a second fix for PC users to address the autosave and quicksave issues that some people were encountering. That particular issue was never seen prior to release and it was extremely difficult to reproduce reliably, even after the game had launched. In order to fix this problem we have had to disable Steam Cloud functionality. It has been turned off, and we won't turn it back on until we're absolutely sure it will not cause any more problems. Please restart your Steam client to make sure you get the update.

We are also working directly with hardware manufacturers to improve performance for certain video cards. This is a driver issue, and not directly related to the game.

On consoles, we are aware that a small group of 360 users are seeing a DLC warning which is preventing you from loading save games. We are absolutely looking into this bug now, along with other reports of save game corruption. It is our highest priority right now that we find out what is causing it. In the meantime, we recommend you save often, and revert to an older save if this occurs.

As far as general memory and instability, you should see an improvement once the patch goes live, but we are continuing to work on this based on user feedback.

We want everyone to know that we are monitoring the forums and cataloging every single issue we see reported. We’re reading forum posts, we’re checking Twitter, and we’re reading Facebook comments. We aren’t able to reply to most threads, but we’re listening. If we see an issue, we have people here trying to reproduce it so we can fix it.

While there are definitely legitimate issues out there, we wanted to take a moment to address a couple of things that have been reported as “bugs.”

The now infamous Doc Mitchell video, while very funny (and horrifying) was not a bug. Unfortunately during our launch day, there was a brief window where Steam was pushing out corrupt or incorrect files. In the event that a user wound up with a corrupt meshes.bsa file, they would get that error. It was easily (and instantly) corrected by simply re-validating your files with Steam. At most, a handful of people ever saw that issue, and even then, only for a moment before fixing it.

We have seen forum posts where people are claiming they are not getting all of their perks. Again, this is not a bug. In Fallout: New Vegas, you receive perks every other level, not every level as you do in Fallout 3.

And finally, a quick tip: Be aware of your faction status before assuming the game is broken. Factions will react very strongly to you based on your current armor. If you’re wearing Powder Ganger or Caesar’s Legion armor, you will be shot on sight by the NCR (and vice versa). Also note that there are groups of renegade Powder Gangers (known simply as “Escaped Convicts”) who will shoot you regardless of your faction status.

Please post any issues you are having to our forums and we’ll do our best to fix them as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

The Fallout: New Vegas Teams at Obsidian and Bethesda"

A MINOR hotfix he says. That is rich. Well, at least they are recognizing the fact that they do have memory issues and are trying to address it. That is more than they did with FO3. As for the auto and quick saves, those were a problem in FO3. Seeing that they used a tweaked version of the same game engine for FONV, you would think that they would have fixed this by now. I can't blame anyone for putting off updating their mod for FONV in favor of creating maps for SCII. At least SCII didn't crash or freeze every hour on the hour when it was first released.

OK, OK, I am done ranting... for now...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extract from its Update History:

This update addresses issues with the following areas:

- Pip-Boy Interface

- Repair Menu

- Caravan

- Weapons and Weapon Mods

- Hardcore Mode

- Perks

- Skills

- Crafting Recipes

- Crafting Menu

- Mojave Express

- Chems/Addiction

- Doctors

- Vendors

- PreOrder DLC Items

- Reputation System

- Radio Stations

- Companion fixes

- Companion Quests

And fixes for the following quests:

- Ain’t That a Kick in the Head

- By a Campfire on The Trail

- They Went That-a-Way

- My Kind of Town

- Boulder City Showdown

- Ring a Ding Ding!

- King’s Gambit

- For The Republic, Part 2

- Render Unto Caesar

- Et Tumor, Brute?

- The House Always Wins

- Wild Card

- Beyond the Beef

- GI Blues

- How Little We Know

- Oh My Papa

- Still In The Dark

- You’ll Know It When It Happens

- Arizona Killer

- Eureka!

- Veni, Vidi, Vici

- All or Nothing

- No Gods, No Masters

- Birds of a Feather

- I Put A Spell On you

- Come Fly With Me

- That Lucky Old Sun

- Don’t Make a Beggar of Me

- The White Wash

- Ghost Town Gunfight

- Restoring Hope

- Bleed Me Dry

- Aba Daba Honeymoon

- Tend To Your Business

- Wang Dang Atomic Tango

- Flags of Our Foul-Ups

- Debt Collector

- Talent Pool

- Left My Heart

- Someone To Watch Over Me

- Hard Luck Blues

No further in-depth info though, it would be nice to see what it actually fixed with said issues.

If you're worried about your Archive Invalidation, Backup your .inis. It's common sense.

My God.

Well I've just started anew, but this is just a hassle, for real.

This is real funny, in an ironic sort of way. I had just finished writing Bethesda a very long e-mail explaining to them how paying 59.00 + tax for New Vegas was a waste of my money. That was before I realized that I too had forgotten to shut off auto-updates on Steam and tried to launch the game through NVSE only to get the wrong version message. To no surprise to me, Steam is still insisting on patching the game even though I have auto-update turned off.

Using Steam was one of my biggest complaints to Bethesda, but I have still been experiencing CTDs and lockups due to memory leaks too. It is not as bad as it was with Fallout 3, but still, Bethesda's claim that New Vegas is compatible with Windows 7 is bogus. As for bugs, if you've made it to the strip and have completed any of the quests, you know that there are all kinds of bugs that need to be fixed. Bethesda is going to be patching this thing for at least the next couple of years. A lot of the new mods that are coming out are also replete with bugs, but that is a different story. We don't pay out the nose for mods and those mods don't take away control of our own machines as Steam and the ever growing intrusiveness of Microsoft's Windows OS. If you are thinking of getting Windows 7, my advice is... DON'T. The permissions system is all jacked up in Windows 7 and I have had to fight just to get peripherals installed and working right. Peripherals that I have to have for professional reasons, such as a Smart Card Reader... but I digress...

OK, OK, I am done ranting... for now...

Wow. That was one hell of a rant. Agreed with the steam auto updating even though I have auto updates turned off. I too have Windows 7, but I have had nothing but good experiences with it over Vista. It takes 12% less system resources to run it on my system, it's stable as hell, all my peripherals work plug and play, every game I have works flawlessly (at least as good if not better then Vista). But I will say that Windows 7 stability seems to be tied directly into the hardware. I'm overclocking too...

Anyway, why oh why did my game auto update? That's a torch and pitchfork offense! I so hate steam for that.

Here we go again, starting over. Hopefully this patch will fix the issue of the game going from freezing and/or CTD every 5 minutes to actually turning off my computer every 5 minutes! HTF does a game even do that?? Steam/Bethesda, I hope you read that. No other app turns off my computer except for the power button.

I too have Windows 7, but I have had nothing but good experiences with it over Vista. It takes 12% less system resources to run it on my system, it's stable as hell, all my peripherals work plug and play, every game I have works flawlessly (at least as good if not better then Vista). But I will say that Windows 7 stability seems to be tied directly into the hardware. I'm overclocking too...

Anyway, why oh why did my game auto update? That's a torch and pitchfork offense! I so hate steam for that.

I am curious to know what your hardware setup is.

Mine is as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor @ 3.4GHz

8.0GB Corsair PC8500 DDR2 Memory @ 800MHz

ATI Radeon HD5750 Video Card w/HDMI Audio and Video connect to a 27" HDTV and surround sound system.

Edited by wardminator

The thing I really want to know does this patch cure Veronica of picking up a pool cue to attack deathclaws, after I've given her some top notch gun?

Oh hell yes! There were so many times I wanted to turn my gun on her for that. Then again, there have been a few instances where I did shoot her, all be it on accident when she picked up a melee weapon and then ran right out in front of my character. I wonder if she was originally supposed to be a blond. Perhaps I should go change that in the GECK.

The thing I really want to know does this patch cure Veronica of picking up a pool cue to attack deathclaws, after I've given her some top notch gun?

Oh hell yes! There were so many times I wanted to turn my gun on her for that. Then again, there have been a few instances where I did shoot her, all be it on accident when she picked up a melee weapon and then ran right out in front of my character. I wonder if she was originally supposed to be a blond. Perhaps I should go change that in the GECK.

I have to console the 'spray and pray' perk! Don't any of the companions understand the idea 'The Range is hot' They spend most of their time trailing 50 yards behind you until you port arms, then they do their best to get between you and the opposition.

The patch is supposed to 'fix' the companions. . .

These forced-down-your-throat updates rather suck for us rural players with low-bandwidth. Why can't it be normal, publish an actual UPDATE file I can download at work and bring home on a USB drive? No, instead, I'm forced to bring my laptop in to work, run Steam, update the game, then bring my laptop home and copy the entire massive frigging directory over wifi to my gaming PC.

Do you know what was wrong with normal published-on-DVD/download patch distribution method? Absolutely nothing.

They've "fixed" something that wasn't broke in the first place, taken the concept of real ownership away. Consider this; I still own Zork, on a 5.25" floppy disk, for my ancient Commodore 64. If I *really* wanted to I could hook that bad boy up to a 1541 drive and an old television, and play the game. Because I own it. On media.

I've had that game 25 years now. The developers are long gone, the media is no longer manufacturered, but I can still play it. I can also play X-COM, and every other PC game I've bought, if I choose to, if I fire up DOSBOX or a 486. :)

But I can't play New Vegas right now because this damn update - a game I just purchased two months ago, because they decided I, as a player, was not responsible enough to actually own a physical copy of a game and download updates on my own.

>>> Insert favored profanity here <<< Steam.

I bought Mass Effect, Left for Dead, and Supreme Commander 2, and NEVER got to play them. Left for Dead I broke in half when I got the DVD home and found out all it had on it was Steam.exe. I'm capped at 600MB/day on Hughes, no chance of getting that downloaded. Supreme Commander 2 actually had an installer, but wanted to download 2+GB of updates the day I brought it home. Well, there goes that idea. I broke that disk in half also. Mass Effect I never got installed, as soon as I found out it was Steam, I gave to a coworker.

Finally, with New Vegas, I was willing to stick my foot in the water simply because Fallout is my favorite series, ever.

I'm really regretting it, in many ways. Sure, steam is "grrrreeeat" for people with sufficient bandwidth. But guess what? There's a large percentage of the world - even our wonderful, modern, high-tech America - who have the facilities for neither DSL, nor Cable, and who have to live with ridiculous bandwidth quotas with Satellite providers.

Steam will be the end of PC games, one way or the other.

</rant>

Edited by FluidFire