Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope more of the modders who choose to take advantage of this carefully read the terms and services. The only positive spin on this - supporting modders - is killed when you do. They only receive 25% and the payout is only given after they've made over $100 on that specific item/mod. And you can bet that's likely $100 -after- the 75% cut, meaning they'd have to sell $400 worth of their mod before they see a dime. Ridiculous.

WTH? Thats even worse than expected, so basically what if they 'never' reach the $100 bar? So basically steam gets all the profits and the modder gets nothing period? And if you suspect the -after- 75% is real then...the modders are getting completely shafted, this can't really be legal can it? O.o

Yeah, it's absurd. I posted the links a few pages back, should have posted them again but here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/ZvlIIe2.png

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq

I'm assuming it's $100 after the 75% cut, but even if it isn't, that's still ridiculous. It's as you said, if they do not reach $400 in sales for their mod, they may not receive anything at all. It says may hold out until the minimum is earned, but knowing Valve, that means they simply will. Though I assume (hopefully) that you could request a payout regardless to get whatever you have earned, but who knows really? I don't see the point in it. I remember back when D3 had the RMAH, I was selling small amounts on the regular. I'd have 15-20 transactions a day, all under $2-5 each and it was never a problem.

Edited by Entw1ne

AAAAAAND I'm out!

It appears I have been banned at Bethsoft forums (Day_Man). Used some adult language, got put in time out but refused to be silenced so I created a new account or two to continue discussion their ridiculousness. Oh well.

Get stuffed, Bethesda.

AAAAAAND I'm out!

It appears I have been banned at Bethsoft forums (Day_Man). Used some adult language, got put in time out but refused to be silenced so I created a new account or two to continue discussion their ridiculousness. Oh well.

Get stuffed, Bethesda.

Valve's moderators have been shadowbanning people left and right on the Workshop.

This is the end of an era, folks. I know many of you are hopping that the modding community will stay strong together. But sadly, money is simply impossible to resist. R.I.P Modding community

Actually, this is a very good time to make Nexus Games community bigger and stronger. Many oppose the p2p for mods. It's a good reason to tell all your other Steam friends about Nexus and its modding community. Try pulling ppl on the Steam Workshop away from paying for mods because they can find just about all what they're looking for already here on Nexus and for free.

EDIT: Other new mod authors on Steam; it's good to tell them about Nexus as well and that they might be able to make more with donations here and get the full profit. Now is a really good time to support your favourite mod authors and donate to them as well. If you wish to. If authors see a bigger benefit here, they'll not use Steam Workshop.

Edited by Baibaihe

Here's a really good question I found. First off, this is NOT an attack on Wet and Cold. This person merely used it as an example and I would also like somewhat of an answer as well.

Check this image:

http://i.imgur.com/zrZgPga.jpg

Without all those credited ppl, the author wouldn't have the mod he has. This goes for a lot of mods. So yeah... will credited authors they get a courteous cut from mod authors who decide to have people pay for their mod? I have another question to add though... will credited authors ask mod authors to take down their mods and/or ask to remove their content from their mods if they're being used for p2p (pay to play)?!

Edited by Baibaihe

The argument against paid mods shouldn't be centered around price. The real issue I see is modding, especially with Skyrim, is a community activity.

Many mods borrow from others or have dependencies on other mods. It's like open source coding--through borrowing and re-using existing work, the wheel doesn't need to be re-invented, and mod authors can focus on new features. This open atmosphere of sharing content and resources is what allows the creation of high volumes of high quality mods.

Once you try to monetize that, re-using resources is no longer considered sharing, but stealing. And most major mods re-use resources to some extent. Gameplay mods probably use SKSE, SkyUI (MCM), FNIS, or some other framework. Some also borrow assets like item models. NPC mods generally borrow texture mods, hair mods, body mods, clothing mods, etc.

The modding community for Skyrim is undoubtedly one of the most active modding communities out there, but it's also one of the most interconnected. The sheer volume of small mods is amazing, and that creates a giant pool of content to share and build off of. But attempting to monetize mods will destroy the inherent nature of sharing in the community, which is what makes Skyrim modding so successful.

Man, I've been saying Valve are con artists for years, so this nonsense doesn't even surprise me. Shame on them for ripping off not only the customers but the modders too with their ridiculous profit cut. I'm looking forward to the fireworks when someone uploads some Final Fantasy weapon pack or Frozen dress or some other mod based on an IP owned by a company that goes berserk if someone so much as paints one of their characters on their nursery wall without their permission and Valve and Bethesda have to answer to them. :laugh: